Super Battery or magic? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM

MY 2 c. My bike sits out in an unheated barn for 5 months here in cen. Pa. The PO of my bike had his always on a tender. First thing I bought for it. I replaced the ORIGINAL battery a couple years ago AFTER 12-1/2 years, merely because I thought it was time. It still had a full charge and would start and run the bike fine. Replaced with a BikeMaster. It lasted maybe 2 months. Replaced it with another Yuasa OEM, and no issues at all for over 2 years now. And have added road lights, many LED's, air horn, and expect this one to last as long as I have the bike.
Pumba23 likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:35 PM

Batteries actually last longer in the cold, its the heat that kills the battery. The reson that a weak battery usually shows up when its cold is that it takes more amps to turn over a cold engine.
ervin260 and jammerwalker like this.

2006 VTX1800 Supercharged
2014 Valkyrie ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTl...2&index=1&t=0s
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabber View Post
Batteries actually last longer in the cold, its the heat that kills the battery. The reason that a weak battery usually shows up when its cold is that it takes more amps to turn over a cold engine.
This is true! I have much more trouble with my winter toys sitting thru the summer.

2003 1800 C
There's No Substitute For BIG JUGS!!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm on my third battery.

6 years for the first battery, because I just didn't trust it any more.
4 years for the second battery (one of the fiberglass mats broke free and grounded out against another).
This battery has been installed for three (going on 4) so far.

Sure, they'll last for years and years, but anything after 5 years (IMO) you're gambling on getting stuck at some point.
jammerwalker likes this.

Bub Club member #361
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrandonx View Post
He said unheated, and he's from Canada so my guess would be pretty damn cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
He said he keeps it in his basement.... my basement is the same temperature as the house !!!!!!!!
as my furnace is in the basement...
As mentioned, My basement is unheated (no vents) but the furnace is down there so some heat thrown off. I'd guess it's 40's F down there for a few months. The washing machine has never frozen up so must stay above freezing.

I only use a battery tender in the Winter as I ride at least weekly April-Nov but always thought the battery would die over a month or two in Winter if just left sitting in the cold.

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Garage
Some of it depends on the battery. I've had some that barely lasted a year, and others that have run strong for several years. When you get a battery at a local shop, check and see if they offer a "lifetime" battery. That would be best. It's usually a cheap lead/acid battery, but even if you have to have it replaced every year, showing them the receipt, it will soon pay for itself. I did that once, and had the battery replaced by the shop 4-6 times over the years. I wasn't too happy, though, when the shop went belly up, as I had to find a new place to get my batteries, and had to pay for it again. The one I have now, I got online (AGM type which was only $32). It's only been in the bike for a year, but still going strong. Had to put it on my tender once, so far, but I usually ride every day 8-10 miles each way to work and back.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
I wish I could keep my bike in the basement..

as a few times. my garage was minus 5 "F" inside.
I looked at a house like that, and not to mention the garage had a door to go INSIDE the basement and there was a workbench the entire length of the house. If only the house wasn't a total piece of crap otherwise. But with my current house I've insulated my garage, and while it still has no heat, it is a good 10* warmer in there now, and if I run my propane heater for about 10 minutes it gets nice and toasty in there (run the heat if I'm going to be working in there for a while in the winter).

2005 VTX 1800F3
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Garage
I get the sealed, maintenance free, gel batteries for my bikes. I typically get 5-6 years outta them and never use a tender. I've been debating it for awhile, but I tend to have decent luck without one. I'm from PA where normal winter days below 0 are common, and she stayed in an insulated garage for those months.

'04 1300C, 47k miles, Mustang seats and backrests, Rinehart Racing exhaust, Cobra floorboards, Hondaline Light Bar, LED light kit

Stay safe, Ride often, Keep the shiney side up
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
Some of it depends on the battery. I've had some that barely lasted a year, and others that have run strong for several years. When you get a battery at a local shop, check and see if they offer a "lifetime" battery. That would be best. It's usually a cheap lead/acid battery, but even if you have to have it replaced every year, showing them the receipt, it will soon pay for itself. I did that once, and had the battery replaced by the shop 4-6 times over the years. I wasn't too happy, though, when the shop went belly up, as I had to find a new place to get my batteries, and had to pay for it again. The one I have now, I got online (AGM type which was only $32). It's only been in the bike for a year, but still going strong. Had to put it on my tender once, so far, but I usually ride every day 8-10 miles each way to work and back.
Where did you get a AGM for $32, I need one. Are you riding a 1300 or1800

02' 1800C Illusion Blue, 62k miles, "Blue Max" Medallions,, MTC clutch, V&H Big Shots, PC III, K&N Filter w/ Custom VTX Cover, Ultimate Seats, Custom Radiator cover, Leather Bags, Tank Bib, Memphis Shade, Wolo, Gregg's Alarm, Progressive suspension F/R.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyz312 View Post
Where did you get a AGM for $32, I need one. Are you riding a 1300 or 1800
I got my battery from eBay, but I've seen similar ones on Amazon for slightly more, like $35. I actually don't have a VTX...YET, but the batteries shouldn't be that different. The main difference is in size/dimensions, and I think mine and the VTX are pretty much the same.

Doing a quick search, I found this one for the VTX1300 on Amazon for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/YTX14-BS-Repl...ds=vtx+battery

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page