Looking for advice, tips, etc for riding through ND, Montana, and Washington states - Page 2 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Garage
IMHO if you are going to sight see along the way from Wa. to San ysidro, throw the time clock away. Alot to see, tons of traffic, no way you can really make time unless you ride from dusk to dawn. It depends on what you havent seen and want to see....imho. Me i would bail on 1 north of frisco towards Sacramento. LA is **** no matter the road. After San Diego you got nothing for a thousand miles...lol
Weather in the west can only be summed up this way. Be ready for all weather that exists on the planet except, typhoons. Rain, Hail, snow, cold, hot and no telling what will happen on day 2. You change altitude you change weather. jmo I have found my frogg toggs to be great in cold weather, gloves are another ordeal, as well as boots. I will probably add slip over rain boots this year to help. added slip over gloves last year. Rain gear packs away so easy, small space usage and so helpful.

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
Having travelled thru this area, and not being in a hurry, heading south to S.F., I would travel from Burlington Wa. to Deception pass on Hwy 20.

Don't miss Cannon Beach and Lincoln City on the Oregon coast and the sand dunes.

Visit San Simeon north of S.F. along the way.

I could get into more detail, but there's a lot to see.

Stay off I-5 if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffly View Post
IMHO if you are going to sight see along the way from Wa. to San ysidro, throw the time clock away. Alot to see, tons of traffic, no way you can really make time unless you ride from dusk to dawn. It depends on what you havent seen and want to see....imho. Me i would bail on 1 north of frisco towards Sacramento. LA is **** no matter the road. After San Diego you got nothing for a thousand miles...lol
Weather in the west can only be summed up this way. Be ready for all weather that exists on the planet except, typhoons. Rain, Hail, snow, cold, hot and no telling what will happen on day 2. You change altitude you change weather. jmo I have found my frogg toggs to be great in cold weather, gloves are another ordeal, as well as boots. I will probably add slip over rain boots this year to help. added slip over gloves last year. Rain gear packs away so easy, small space usage and so helpful.
Well I'm running against the clock since I'm doing the 4 Corners but I'd like to see some sights along the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Big Sur highway 1 is where the big slide happened.
As you head down in California you can ask how to get around it and not run interstate.

You can google slides on 101 and 1
Thanks for the info...I may have to figure out the best way to go once I get there... It may be more important to figure out the best time of day/night to travel though
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Never enough time to see even 1% of the west coast.
Stop long enough to dip the toes in the pacific ocean.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Never enough time to see even 1% of the west coast.
Stop long enough to dip the toes in the pacific ocean.
True, but I was stationed there when I was young enough to enjoy it
nate6966 likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Garage
I always like the forest of Redwoods, Golden Gate, Coastline is always nice. A plan A and B might be in order, dependent on time and traffic. Just makes me want to RIDE.
As of tomorrow you will be a single digit midget. The anticipation of open road, not turning back after a few hundred miles, gas and go, the first hundred miles trying to remember what the hell you forgot....oh the excitement.......The X singing its song as the miles roll by........

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Garage
I'm nervous for you after hearing about the coming heat wave in the southwest. Maybe it will be done by your arrival, but the radio mentioned "coming weeks" and "120 degrees in Phoenix" in the same sentence.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post
I'm nervous for you after hearing about the coming heat wave in the southwest. Maybe it will be done by your arrival, but the radio mentioned "coming weeks" and "120 degrees in Phoenix" in the same sentence.
Not a problem for me. The last time I rode across NM & AZ it was about 115. The temperature and engine heat cooked the skin on my butt the seat was hot. It took a few says to adjust to afterwards. Now I ride with a sheepskin seat cover and a beaded seat cover. Lesson learned
nate6966 likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzy7 View Post
Not a problem for me. The last time I rode across NM & AZ it was about 115. The temperature and engine heat cooked the skin on my butt the seat was hot. It took a few says to adjust to afterwards. Now I ride with a sheepskin seat cover and a beaded seat cover. Lesson learned

Sheepskin is like a thermos. It helps keep your butt warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 PM

I am 70 miles south of Fargo.July is usualy hot(80-95) and humid.Heat can build up some pretty good thunderstorms late afternoon ,early evening.Around sunset you will have bugs.Have a safe trip!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Butch View Post
I am 70 miles south of Fargo.July is usualy hot(80-95) and humid.Heat can build up some pretty good thunderstorms late afternoon ,early evening.Around sunset you will have bugs.Have a safe trip!!
Thanks alot! I'll holler at you a couple days out from Fargo....just in case you want to put in some miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page