Riding style? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm itching to ride along the Pacific ocean all the way up into the little hills y'all have there in CA.

If I can ever get retired and get my lower back in better shape, I'm outta here! Too much livin to do and too much America to see. Places that lots of people take for granted.

I mentioned that I take off too fast... that is always after I've looked both ways even after light turns green because down here, somebody is always talking on iphone and drivin big ass trucks/suvs.

LOL! I passed a lady one day shaving her face with elec razor... I couldn't unsee it. pretty sure it was a her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM

I have ridden California extensively. I am happy to act as a tour guide to you, or anyone else here who wants to see some great country. Even if this state IS run by liberals.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerJoeVTX1800c View Post
I have ridden California extensively. I am happy to act as a tour guide to you, or anyone else here who wants to see some great country. Even though this state IS run by liberals.
Fixed it for you!

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Garage
I have rode the Left coast. (once)... its is a great ride..

Napa Valley... up the coast, feet from a 200 foot drop off..

going over a Crest and seeing Mount Hood in Full Sun covered in Snow in August...
nate6966 and StarrRider like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis311 View Post
I wish I could be a real man and wear long jeans but I guess I'll be a wimp and risk burning my leg or worse yet, road rash.
Once you've had road rash, you'll likely change to wearing jeans, and maybe even more on your legs, as well as boots and the rest of the gear. Having "been there, done that", I can tell you that it's NO fun!! I was just taking off from a stop light, and couldn't have been doing more than 20-30mph, but only spent the weekend in the hospital with nurses picking gravel out of my palms, and knee, and I NEVER want to do that again!!! As soon as I got out of the hospital, it was off to the leather store to get some chaps to go with my leather jacket and new gloves. I also ALWAYS wear steel-toed boots when I ride. I don't care how hot it is, I'm protecting my feet and ankles, because if I had NOT had that steel in the toes of my boots when I had my wreck, I'd have probably lost half my big toe, or more! Instead, I have a dime sized chewed up spot of steel showing through the leather on those boots. I'm also considering getting some armor to go underneath all my gear.

The more you ride in the heat in all your gear, the more your body will adjust, and you won't even notice it after a while.

BTW, my son had a wreck on his bike only a couple weeks ago, and is STILL recovering! He had put on his chaps just before we took off, and we were probably about an hour into a 3-4 hour ride, but had slowed down to about 20-30mph in a tiny 'berg in the middle of nowhere when a couple of dogs ran out into the street in front of the Jeep pulling a trailer in front of him. They slammed on their brakes, and he slammed on his, skidded for about 20-30 feet, and then lost control. Bike ended up almost upside down on top of him on the right side. Because he was wearing his gear, ALL of it, including new steel-toed shoes, he didn't have ANY road rash. The EMTs were actually nice enough to keep his 'colors' in tact, and got his chaps off without cutting, but still cut his jacket and shirt off. His right glove was missing the little finger, and the next was about halfway torn off, but NO marks on his hands. His full face helmet had some scrapes on the right side, too, and his right shoe was chewed up on the outside a bit, but still wearable. He still ended up with 3 broken ribs, and a collar bone broke in 3 pieces, which was a spiral fracture. The orthopedic surgeon who fixed the collar bone said the procedure normally takes 45 minutes total, but it took him 45 minutes JUST to put the bone back together and in the right place. Then, he used the biggest metal plate he had, and STILL wished it had "another hole". 6 screws, and an hour and a half later, and he's all back together, but the ribs are STILL healing, and causing him pain, and probably will for a couple of months.

I say all this simply as a warning and a caution to everyone. Wear the gear, no matter how hot it is. You're better of having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. As I said before, your body has a wonderful way of adjusting, and you'll soon not even notice the heat, except possibly for your breathing. I still have trouble breathing in the extreme heat, like I'm not getting enough oxygen. If heat is still a problem for you in the gear you have, get better gear that breathes, but still has the armor in it.

Some will still say they don't need it, but when they're lying on the side of the road, with body parts all chewed up, screaming out in pain, they'll WISH they had listened to me.
Pumba23 likes this.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

Last edited by jammerwalker; 06-30-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM

Garage
sometime ago.."Road Rash"... I got road rash on the top side of my hands... when I put a 6 inch crack in a fiberglass helmet.

I must wear gloves.. as I must never allow a slight sunburn... on the healed road rash..

I even need to wear light gloves while riding the bicycle.

that area will never suntan... just deep sunburn.. and good way of getting skin cancer..
spf 50 will not prevent the sunburns. so I have cotton white, tan, brown, black.. then leather in black.
even the 1 hour to cut grass.. must wear gloves.

so not just the road rash pain till it heals.. but issues the rest of your life.

Ride Safe, Ride Often
nate6966 likes this.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The more you ride in the heat in all your gear, the more your body will adjust, and you won't even notice it after a while.
I will not make excuses... I'm flirting with danger! Bare body parts do not mix well sliding across hard and rocky surfaces. A majority of my rides are away from high traffic areas. It is usually when I am getting to the two lanes or almost home that I'm around the most traffic and the idgits out to get me and I've had quite a few close calls because they don't see me.

Being aware and sensitive to the finality of getting nailed by a 4 wheeled perpetrator keeps me pretty keyed up until I am mostly alone. One single BAD experience with road rash will end my riding experience. Personally, a no-brainer for me. I want to go to heaven with all my body parts and the same brain cell inside my helmet.

In my locality, most motorcycle fatalities happen on heavily traveled roads and highways. I've seen too many news stories and known too many riders that have lost their lives while riding.

Say I have 20 more years to live on this earth. I want all of those years to contain safe riding experiences for me. It is as important to me as any sport or hobby that many people have. My bro is a big golfer and plays often. I never play but I doubt that he could love golfing more than I do riding.

It gets so stinking hot and humid here, if I were forced to wear a jacket, long pants, and a full faced helmet, I would sell the bike first.

Last edited by Travis311; 06-30-2017 at 02:51 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:00 PM

Garage
Ride,, and Ride some more...

for me, started 1969 and still counting.. not a single summer missed.
north of 65 years old. still average 6 to 8,000 miles per year.
385,000 miles so far.

I lost my first motorcycle riding buddy in 1970 ... and many since..
last one, Bill, "Troll".. R.I.P. 2014 and he was my first riding buddy from 1970. but he took many years off.. then returned.

all I ask Everyone... consider taking advance riding courses... might help. at the right time.

I have had 4 back operations, one knee, both wrists. and still ride.. an Blind in one eye.
and NO , not one was from a motorcycle.

How you ride.. and How you dress or protect yourself.. is YOURS.

I will not Judge you.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 06-30-2017 at 03:11 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I still see guys riding almost side by side. Sometimes traveling to another state, I'll see a rider without a helmet and I'm initially shocked because I forget about helmet laws per state.
I cringe when I see a rider blowing thru a 4-way intersection loaded with cars/trucks waiting for their turn. At work, I'm on the 6th floor with a huge window facing I-220 and even with the very thick double paned window, I can hear the crotch rockets screaming down the slab. Some old lady or phone texting teenie bopper will pull out in front of them eventually.

It is a given that what goes around comes around and IF we are not accountable for ALL the things that we do, this includes riding style and proper gear, we will get caught.

If you think you're getting away with something... ANYTHING, just wait! A thief, liar, law breaker, murderer, cheater, sinner, the perfect man/perfect woman, gossiper, and so on and so forth always gets it. A good looking woman or man eventually ain't good looking. An expert thief eventually gets caught.

Even if you try and do every little thing right when your are riding a great big vtx1800 beast, you can fail. Say you have gone over that machine with a fine tooth comb. You have detailed it until it blinds you to look at it and then ride it like a fool, eventually you will be broken and so will your beast.

I tell myself often that I do not want to end my riding days because I made a stupid thoughtless mistake.
Pumba23 likes this.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerwalker View Post
Once you've had road rash, you'll likely change to wearing jeans, and maybe even more on your legs, as well as boots and the rest of the gear. Having "been there, done that", I can tell you that it's NO fun!! I was just taking off from a stop light, and couldn't have been doing more than 20-30mph, but only spent the weekend in the hospital with nurses picking gravel out of my palms, and knee, and I NEVER want to do that again!!! As soon as I got out of the hospital, it was off to the leather store to get some chaps to go with my leather jacket and new gloves. I also ALWAYS wear steel-toed boots when I ride. I don't care how hot it is, I'm protecting my feet and ankles, because if I had NOT had that steel in the toes of my boots when I had my wreck, I'd have probably lost half my big toe, or more! Instead, I have a dime sized chewed up spot of steel showing through the leather on those boots. I'm also considering getting some armor to go underneath all my gear.

BTW, my son had a wreck on his bike only a couple weeks ago, and is STILL recovering! He had put on his chaps just before we took off, and we were probably about an hour into a 3-4 hour ride, but had slowed down to about 20-30mph in a tiny 'berg in the middle of nowhere when a couple of dogs ran out into the street in front of the Jeep pulling a trailer in front of him. They slammed on their brakes, and he slammed on his, skidded for about 20-30 feet, and then lost control. Bike ended up almost upside down on top of him on the right side. Because he was wearing his gear, ALL of it, including new steel-toed shoes, he didn't have ANY road rash. The EMTs were actually nice enough to keep his 'colors' in tact, and got his chaps off without cutting, but still cut his jacket and shirt off. His right glove was missing the little finger, and the next was about halfway torn off, but NO marks on his hands. His full face helmet had some scrapes on the right side, too, and his right shoe was chewed up on the outside a bit, but still wearable. He still ended up with 3 broken ribs, and a collar bone broke in 3 pieces, which was a spiral fracture. The orthopedic surgeon who fixed the collar bone said the procedure normally takes 45 minutes total, but it took him 45 minutes JUST to put the bone back together and in the right place. Then, he used the biggest metal plate he had, and STILL wished it had "another hole". 6 screws, and an hour and a half later, and he's all back together, but the ribs are STILL healing, and causing him pain, and probably will for a couple of months.

I say all this simply as a warning and a caution to everyone. Wear the gear, no matter how hot it is. You're better of having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. As I said before, your body has a wonderful way of adjusting, and you'll soon not even notice the heat, except possibly for your breathing. I still have trouble breathing in the extreme heat, like I'm not getting enough oxygen. If heat is still a problem for you in the gear you have, get better gear that breathes, but still has the armor in it.

Some will still say they don't need it, but when they're lying on the side of the road, with body parts all chewed up, screaming out in pain, they'll WISH they had listened to me.
Maybe I'm not understanding the full story but if your only riding at 20-30 MPH and you have to "slam on the brakes, skid and lose control", can't perform evasive maneuvers and still wreck, then you are very likely following too closely even if the car in front hits the brakes for no reason. I'm glad everyone was relatively OK, heal fast and well

At higher speeds, it's common for the vast majority to not leave enough room....

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page