Riding style? - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Riding style?

I take off fast from stops. I often don’t realize it until I’m riding with someone and leave them behind. I have trouble staying one speed on the slab if I am completely certain the po po ain’t around. I never let it warm up after firing it up. It’s FI for crying out loud.

I constantly dodge bad places on the road. If I happen to get a smooth road(rare in my state), I relax and check out the view. I wave at kids. I do thumbs up to truckers. I do the “wave” for other motorcycles. I always have a place in mind when I ride where I can pee.

I always plan ahead and fuel up before a ride or have a place in mind to stop before the low fuel light comes on. I always give way to fools and idiots and of course, I see them every time I ride. A 4 way intersection is a trap for guys like me… someone just itchin to nail me.

I signal 100% of the time… well, maybe it’s 98% of the time. I do short sleeves and short britches. Always wear gloves and boots. Saw a dude in flippity flops on a vtx the other day. I watch out for road kill. I saw almost a dozen dead things over the weekend. I try to have plenty of room between car in front, side, and behind me. I never ever run parallel with another vehicle. I’m either way behind or in front. I have gum and/or mints for dry mouth and always make sure I’m well hydrated especially in summer. I fix anything that is rattling. I only want to hear the wind and the pipes. I take a break after about an hour of riding. I will not ride if my shield is nasty.

I do not ride fast where there are homes. I slow down at every hill, curve, and intersection. I kiss my wife before I leave and tell her around the time I'll be home.

Last edited by Travis311; 06-28-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Garage
With the exception of ---
"Signaling 98% of the time",,, and "taking off fast",,, you pretty much described my riding style. I occasionally wear shorts too, though I know it's not the safest thing to do. Don't always wear boots, but never wear "low tops". Most of the time wear gloves, except when it is really hot.
Always wear a helmet. But can't STAND riding a dirty bike!!!! Usually clean it up before I ride AND after I get back. And I DO let her warm up for a minute before I take off. My tank never gets empty because I always have to pee first, so might as well top off the tank!!!
My $0.02......
beachbumdrl and jammerwalker like this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Garage
I think everyone had a slightly different or completely different style.

boots, long slacks. (Dickies), long sleeve shirt, heavy thick belt, sometimes leather coat, leather gloves, modular helmet. always.

I go easy in first and second. run the speed limit +5.... except in the curves.
do little sightseeing, looking at road ahead..and checking mirrors.. never swerve to avoid animals.
if it moves I check it out with my eyes.

I do very little freeways/highways... 2 lanes are my preferred way.
wave at all 2 wheelers, engine or not.

I am sure I could wright a book on this subject.. 46 years of riding do teach me things.

I always kiss the wife goodby... I call when I stop for lunch. (past 5 years).

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 PM

We have a couple Prius', so I am kind of used to starting off slowly and coasting to a stop. I wear shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers in hot weather. I have learned to exhale while going past road kill. The larger the kill the further away I exhale.
jammerwalker likes this.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 PM
RBS

This time of year, T-shirt, leather vest. Long jeans & work boots (Irish Setters) always.

Once the light changes & I'm sure there's no more cross traffic, I take off moderately fast.
Using the gears, I can run it up to 50, without revving the motor hard, and attracting the attention of You-Know-Who!

In town, I travel at the speed of traffic.
I make it a point not to blast through neighborhoods.

When I bought my new bike, I had trouble on the highway.
It's so smooth & comfortable, I was wondering why everyone else on the hi-way was dawdling,
'till I checked my speedo. 95-100 MPH. I've since learned to pay more attention to my speed.

When I cruise the back roads I take it easy. Very relaxing.
If I see people riding Hot, when it's safe, I pull over and wave them around.

Edit To Add;
I never use my signals-it's nobody's business where I'm going.
steveroy60 likes this.

Democrats & Republicans- 2 Sides Of A Counterfeit Coin.

I'm Not Politically Correct - I'd Rather be Honest.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.

Last edited by RBS; 06-29-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis311 View Post
I take off fast from stops. I often donít realize it until Iím riding with someone and leave them behind. I have trouble staying one speed on the slab if I am completely certain the po po ainít around. I never let it warm up after firing it up. Itís FI for crying out loud.

I constantly dodge bad places on the road. If I happen to get a smooth road(rare in my state), I relax and check out the view. I wave at kids. I do thumbs up to truckers. I do the ďwaveĒ for other motorcycles. I always have a place in mind when I ride where I can pee.

I always plan ahead and fuel up before a ride or have a place in mind to stop before the low fuel light comes on. I always give way to fools and idiots and of course, I see them every time I ride. A 4 way intersection is a trap for guys like meÖ someone just itchin to nail me.

I signal 100% of the timeÖ well, maybe itís 98% of the time. I do short sleeves and short britches. Always wear gloves and boots. Saw a dude in flippity flops on a vtx the other day. I watch out for road kill. I saw almost a dozen dead things over the weekend. I try to have plenty of room between car in front, side, and behind me. I never ever run parallel with another vehicle. Iím either way behind or in front. I have gum and/or mints for dry mouth and always make sure Iím well hydrated especially in summer. I fix anything that is rattling. I only want to hear the wind and the pipes. I take a break after about an hour of riding. I will not ride if my shield is nasty.

I do not ride fast where there are homes. I slow down at every hill, curve, and intersection. I kiss my wife before I leave and tell her around the time I'll be home.
We sound an awful lot alike - except for the short britches. While jeans are a bit hotter, they block the exhaust heat from the back of my leg.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I burn my leg every summer due to shorts. There is no shield on the pipe... I can just barely touch and burns like hell. I can look at the spot on leg and not see a burn but that scab is coming.
I wish I could be a real man and wear long jeans but I guess I'll be a wimp and risk burning my leg or worse yet, road rash.

LAVTXRIDER likes this.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM

Garage
Well, the summer heat is quite different for me, up here in the northwest compared to what you deal with in Mississippi

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
Slacks, 100 percent of the time.. riding or NOT.
112 degree in Arizona , wearing slacks on a full dressed 1983 Goldwing.. in the city as well. radiator heat with fans on, blowing on legs.
Factory Chrome exhaust pipes turned BLUE at the heads.

all part of riding. just like boots and gloves.

, your life , your skin. , your choice.
____________________________________________ __
jammerwalker and nate6966 like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM

I've put in 36 years and 625,000 miles on a wide variety of motorcycles (325k on BMWs). I always wear jeans, usually wear boots, always my leather vest but I will wear tank tops (we hit 100 + degrees every year), and wear good shoes or boots. As the weather cools, I wear mesh then Kevlar jackets over an electric liner. I used to rabbit start until idiots decided they needed to run red lights to hit Walmart sales. Now I wait a second or two then head out. As my VTX doesn't get great mileage, I take off nice and easy and run through the gears smoothly. When entering the highway, I get up to what I consider highway speed (85+) and slide in then drop to speed of traffic. My favorite roads are two lanes through the hills. If you are ever in Northern California, hit me up here or on FB at 530Let'sRide and we can get together for a ride, some tasty food and good conversation!
jammerwalker likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page