Scootworks supertrunk 3 and LED lights? - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Scootworks supertrunk 3 and LED lights?

Calling all those VTXers using a HD style turnk on their bike.....

So I have a Scootworks Supertrunk 3 -- still listed on their website here

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...529070165.6322

I want to add an LED light strip on the back (stop/turn/marker lights) like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-Tai...4AAOSw4CFY50QO

The question is -- is this trunk the same as the 97-08 HD Electraglide King Packs that this will fit?

Scootworks alludes to them being the same bu no certainty.

I tried emailing and calling and they seem to be out of business! (I need to find the lockable latches as well now...only was able to find them thru Scootworks before.....UGH!)

Also wondering what the best way is to run the wiring.....

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Garage
Nice trunk!
That looks like exactly the same light bar I bought.
I routed my wires in a plastic sleeve (can’t remember what it’s called) and down into the right side panel behind the chrome side bracket. Can’t even see it.

All the usual stuff .... Vance & Hines exhaust, Cobra Light Bar & Cobra Fatties highway bars, Mustang seats & backrests, Cavalry Custom Saddlebags w/Custom homebuilt bag mounts, Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn unit, desmogged w/pair valve removed, decapitated air box, Tsukayu fairing, Clocks4Bikes clock .....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX53R View Post
Nice trunk!
That looks like exactly the same light bar I bought.
I routed my wires in a plastic sleeve (canít remember what itís called) and down into the right side panel behind the chrome side bracket. Canít even see it.
How hard was figuring out where to drill the holes in the trunk? Do they provide a template?

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Garage
You know, it's been a while and I don't recall if there was a template. It's pretty easy making a template though. Just make sure to tape up your trunk real well before you start fitting. That gives you a place to make your markings and prevents scratching your trunk.
That may seem a bit too obvious, but I generally take the "bull in a china shop" approach....
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You know, it's been a while and I don't recall if there was a template. It's pretty easy making a template though. Just make sure to tape up your trunk real well before you start fitting. That gives you a place to make your markings and prevents scratching your trunk.
That may seem a bit too obvious, but I generally take the "bull in a china shop" approach....
LOL

I only asked that because the bar fits the taper of the trunk......as you go up the trunk, it gets wider.....and from what I can tell there are studs that stick out of the bar for mounting. I assume a stock oem HD trunk has some sort of predrilled or dimpled holes to go by....

I dont want to turn my trunk into swiss cheese trying for the perfect fit...LOL

Do you have any shots of your bike from the rear with the bar installed?

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 PM

Garage
My trunk had no predrilled holes, and yes, there is a taper. My light bar fit best higher up, under the lid. I've seen the light bar up high, down low and somewhere in between.
This photo is before I added the top rack and lower LED's on the sides.
Hope this is all helping you .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3235 4x5.jpg (1.22 MB, 32 views)

All the usual stuff .... Vance & Hines exhaust, Cobra Light Bar & Cobra Fatties highway bars, Mustang seats & backrests, Cavalry Custom Saddlebags w/Custom homebuilt bag mounts, Kuryakyn Run/Brake/Turn unit, desmogged w/pair valve removed, decapitated air box, Tsukayu fairing, Clocks4Bikes clock .....
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My trunk had no predrilled holes, and yes, there is a taper. My light bar fit best higher up, under the lid. I've seen the light bar up high, down low and somewhere in between.
This photo is before I added the top rack and lower LED's on the sides.
Hope this is all helping you .....
Thanks! That looks great!

How did you conceal the wiring inside ? I frequently pack the trunk solid so I have to do it so as to make sure the wiring is as concealed as possible....

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Garage
The HD trunk has a galvanized plate on the bottom and there are channels kind of moulded into the bottom of the trunk. So concealing the wires was not an issue. Also, I made a liner that attaches with velcro.
You might try to epoxy or silicone a plastic wire loom along the corners or even a small plastic tube from the plumbing department. The advantage of a wire loom is that it is split along the length and you can still access or add wiring. Not sure how well the wire loom will work with either epoxy or silicone. Try a piece elsewhere first.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The HD trunk has a galvanized plate on the bottom and there are channels kind of moulded into the bottom of the trunk. So concealing the wires was not an issue. Also, I made a liner that attaches with velcro.
You might try to epoxy or silicone a plastic wire loom along the corners or even a small plastic tube from the plumbing department. The advantage of a wire loom is that it is split along the length and you can still access or add wiring. Not sure how well the wire loom will work with either epoxy or silicone. Try a piece elsewhere first.
I am sure I can figure something out.

The only thing that turns me off a little about this bar is that it has the antennae bosses......I like how you have chrome caps on yours to "hide" them a bit. Although in the future maybe I would run the dual antennaes for FM.

Did you need any adapters or gizmos to make the run, stop and turn functions work?

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
No, I just soldered them in.
Those little acorn nuts came off a previous windshield. I probably have a couple extras if you can’t find some. I’m going to be going down into Montana in a week or so, Id be happy mail you a couple if I have them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page