Vacation gone wrong! - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Vacation gone wrong!

Just not my week! Decided to dodge a thunderstorm Monday. Headed to Tennessee from Louisiana on Monday morning. Loaded on the trailer in N. Little Rock after seeing the radar. Went to unload just past Memphis and realized that I left my only key on the truck or trailer and it's gone! $131 later, I have 3 spare keys. My son and I decided this afternoon to ride around Woodlawn Tennessee. Loaded up and headed up the hill out of dad's gravel driveway. I guess the front tire dug into the gravel and stopped me in my tracks, spun me sideways dumping me onto the driveway and laid the bike over on it's right side. I'm fine, but I broke the right kuryakin peg. Aluminum pegs won't hold up the VTX! Nothing else was hurt on me or the bike other than doing the splits unexpectedly. A little sore, but no biggie. I hit 10 different bike shops and dealers from Nashville to Kentucky and not a single set of Honda or kuryakin pegs to be found! I guess the VTX will go back on the trailer to Louisiana while I wait on new Cobra full size floorboards to arrive next week. I did manage to find two closed Honda dealerships and several closed custom shops....as in permanently closed! Lots of crotch rocket shops and a couple of HD dealers, but only one Honda Dealership that stocks litterally nothing! At least we got my son's new to him bike bought and got some quality family time in before we head South later this week. I sure was looking forward to riding some Twisties this week! When I get home, I'll be throwing one of my stock pegs in the saddle bags with the tool kit. Never thought aboutt a peg ending a road trip!

2007 VTX1300C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:41 AM

Garage
YES, your trip was a challenge

No hospital visit...
no Major unintended expenses..

I totaled a 3 year old Goldwing on a vacation trip.. I was OK.
and I was 500 miles from home
year before that.. to avoid hitting a car that ran a red light.. I panic stopped and needed 6 stitches in right elbow.. and had cracked the bone..
no pain pills .. I was 1,400 miles from home
49 years of riding only that One bike was ever wrecked.

Dealerships... many have Closed in the past 5 years... all Makes
just in my 20 mile area..... 5 dealerships has closed.. Even a newly build Harley dealership.

the remaining Honda dealership.. has converted into a Quad, dirt, used Harley dealership.. with ONE Goldwing on the floor.
Dartanuan likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 07-04-2018 at 04:50 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:55 AM

What I've noticed in these times Honda dealers keep very few parts in stock on shelves in the back of the sales counter like in the old days. What you see in the showroom is pretty much most of the items on hand. With all the models Honda produced over the years it's hard to know what parts to keep in stock that will sell, so the dealers don't keep many parts on hand. Most parts must be ordered. It's best to try to keep some spare parts on hand ahead of time for your own bike. Even bringing some parts and tools when trailering a bike when taking a trip. Thanks for telling you story it might save someone else some grief.
Dartanuan and Curt E like this.

Last edited by DarkShadow; 07-04-2018 at 04:57 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 AM

Garage
also

our gov-ment requires a 10 year supply of parts........ on a new vehicle

but that does not mean at the dealership........warehouse.

even the very last made VTX is 10 years old...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 AM

Garage
Glad you are ok. Bummer on your ride. Try it again after it's fixed. It sux, I know. Best wishes..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Garage
Murphy's law..
At least your OK and bike is OK..

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM
bdm

Your ok thats all that counts and the bike is ok Be Safe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I replace a broken bolt on the peg and while it's still broken, I can ride. Got 50 miles in on the twisties today. Just keeping my weight off that peg as much as possible. Thanks for the well wishes. Heading home to Louisiana in the morning. I may ride. Just can't use the pegs to shift my weight around or let my butt breathe. Lol. I did find a dent on the left side of the tank today. Dropped it on the right side, but I think my boot hit the left side and put a small, but very noticeable dent on it. Going to try my "pops a dent" this weekend and see if I can pop it out.

2007 VTX1300C

Last edited by unit505; 07-04-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
also

our gov-ment requires a 10 year supply of parts........ on a new vehicle

but that does not mean at the dealership........warehouse.

even the very last made VTX is 10 years old...
Shoot Chuck, that's an unsettling thought for a stubborn old SOB like myself. I REALLY like this bike and don't want to change to another. Recently had to bite the bullet and purchase a left fork slider, had it within six days. But if the parts dry up?!
chuck_VTX F likes this.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Shoot Chuck, that's an unsettling thought for a stubborn old SOB like myself. I REALLY like this bike and don't want to change to another. Recently had to bite the bullet and purchase a left fork slider, had it within six days. But if the parts dry up?!

in 1987 I purchased a New 1986 Goldwing Aspencade SEi....

in 1999 I received a letter From HONDA.... stating no electronic or computer replacements will be available after the current warehouse supplies run out...

if you know the SEi... there are 3 computers.. and 2 computer displays...
so in 2005 I sold the bike and got the 05 "F"...

Sorry to hear you had to replace a fork tube... $$$$$$$$$$$
Don't get OLD,,,, its a TRAP.. even for motorcycles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page