VTX Fender Replacement - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
VTX Fender Replacement

Hey I was thinking of replacing the metal fenders on my 07 VTX with fiberglass ones. Has anyone done this? Or have any advice or thoughts about this?

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:34 AM
JPT

Garage
Do you have a reason? As in, are the fiberglass going to be a different shape/design? Are your current fenders damaged?

Wondering what the advantage is going to be?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
No mine are not damaged at all. Just to reduce the weight. I would try to keep a similar style. Can't afford the 240 mod by ********* yet.

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedlyM59 View Post
No mine are not damaged at all. Just to reduce the weight. I would try to keep a similar style. Can't afford the 240 mod by ********* yet.
If you aren't trying to get a benefit other than weight, I would save the money for other mods. It will be a lot of work.

Have you changed your springs/shocks?

I just put on some progressive fork springs over the weekend, I have to say I notice a huge difference. Better ride, better braking, and no more bottoming out. Eventually I'll do some progressive rear shocks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well that's a good idea. What weight oil did you use? I replaced the bushings for my shocks at the beginning of the season. I noticed a better ride also.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Garage
Not many fiberglass rear fenders out there for the VTX and no front fenders I have ever need. There would be little to no weight difference since the fiberglass rear fenders I have seen are pretty beefy, especially compared to C fenders.
Curt E likes this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok Thanks Capt.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey JP were the springs hard to replace? And did you have your tank repainted when the emblems were removed?

Ted

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedlyM59 View Post
Hey JP were the springs hard to replace? And did you have your tank repainted when the emblems were removed?

Ted
I have had this bike just under two months, and have already spent an arm and a leg!!! The previous owner removed the tank emblems, and painted the side chrome covers black. It looks good, but needs to be done better, the tank and fenders need repainting (they aren't bad from 5-10 ft away). There isn't any paint damage where the emblems were. There are other dents and scratches, but not from the emblem removal.

The bike has 9k miles now (I got it with around 6,500). The springs were easy, since I have an Harbor Freight AL jack, and a Redline motorcycle stand.

I used Bareasschopper's write-up to do the swap, it really took me about an hour to do the springs AND swap the junk rear piggyback shocks that came on my bike to gently used factory shocks.

The important thing is to make sure you strap the bike to either the jack or stand, since you will have to apply pressure to get the caps back on. Dont cross thread the caps, and it is good to go. It was easy.

1. Put bike on stands, strap frame to stand so it will not rock with pressure. Cover tank to prevent scratches.
2. Loosen the fork pinch bolts (without removing them)
3. Remove cap slowly (when the cap come off it will be under pressure, and pop off)
4. Pull out spring, allow as much oil to drip off back into the fork.
5. Put in Progressive spring
6. Put in about a cap full of fork oil (I used 10W fork oil from my local dealer). You are approximating the amount of oil that came out on the old springs.
7. Replace cap (you have to apply a lot of down pressure while doing this) WITHOUT cross threading the cap. Be careful. Torque to 17 ft lbs.
8. Torque the fork pinch bolts to 17 ft lbs.
9. Remove bike off of stand

(I was going to link to their write up, but it seems their site is down)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info. I have had this bike for a year now. It had 8400 miles on it. It now has 15200. I was thinking about a fork job for it. I have put a new rear tire, changed the oil and filter. Occasionally run some Seafoam through it and changed the plugs and air filter. I consistently get 39 to 41.2mpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page