About sealing spokes - Page 3 - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtiegirtie View Post

As for the "goop" reference... I don't think skeeter was being nearly as disrespectful as y'all think. Google "Goop silicone adhesive"... that is what Goop means to many people... a generic silicone sealant of the room temperature vulcanization (RTV) kind. I don't think he meant "goop" as in "some silly messy glue stuff".
Ha!, good for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:44 PM

it would be a great idea for someone to call a dealer and ask them about the spoke sealing and tubeless tire modification.
it might be a little awkward but it will give us all a little more input.
i already know what a dealer would say.....
or better yet call a honda rep and tell them about the issue.
i would love to hear what they say!!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:52 PM

100000 miles on my 1300 spoke rims sealed with 5200.
If you haven't had the balls to try something keep your trap shut.
Capt. Rory and frnkcat like this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 PM

balls...lol
nothing to do with balls
i have never had an interest in doing something like that
been perfectly happy with tube or tubeless tires..never had an issue.
got plenty of balls..you have no idea...lol
thats not even a ballsy thing to do...its just retarded.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input. As for my original question,,,i guess the 5200 is still the best way to go. Thanks Capt Rory,i will get a bigger tube, i was surprised to see 5200 and bought what they had on hand. I haven't thought about West Marine since i lived in gulfport. I've got enough formal training and experience working on things, from boats to bikes to military flir night vision systems to autos to side by sides, automatic overdrive transmissions, fuel injection, that i can figure out most things on my own but i still like to have educated input and in this case other input also. But i guess some people don't have enough of a life that they have to chime on on something they actually have no relevant info on. I have ridden motor cycles for the last 42 years and i have never had anyone work on a piece of equipment. If it breaks I fix it. If it needs maintained, I am the only one that has ever turned a wrench on any machine i own. Car, boat, bike, camper, lawn mower, chainsaw, if its broke i can fix it and if anybody knows me they know that. If somebody thinks I'll half- ass anything i work on they surely don't know me and they must be really dumb to assume things about someone they don't know. But momma said there would be people like that.o well.
Capt. Rory likes this.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have ridden motor cycles for the last 42 years and i have never had anyone work on a piece of equipment. If it breaks I fix it. If it needs maintained, I am the only one that has ever turned a wrench on any machine i own. Car, boat, bike, camper, lawn mower, chainsaw, if its broke i can fix it and if anybody knows me they know that. If somebody thinks I'll half- ass anything i work on they surely don't know me and they must be really dumb to assume things about someone they don't know. But momma said there would be people like that.o well.
Same here. Nothing I can't fix, build, or destroy.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 PM

Garage
Also check Home Depot. They should have the bigger tube also and be cheaper than West Marine.

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:26 PM

Now all we need to toss in the mix is Darksiders😁
Capt. Rory likes this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
100000 miles on my 1300 spoke rims sealed with 5200.
I'm interested in doing this and have just a couple of questions:

1. Do you have the rubber rim protector, the thing that normally goes between the tube and the rim, over the 5200 or just leave the 5200 there and go with a tire right over top?

2. Did you put the tire on or did you have a shop do it? I've only attempted tire replacement once, on a tractor, and it was a total pain in the balz. I'm worried that if I brought a tire and my 'modified' rim to a shop they would refuse to put it on for me.

3. If you put the tire on yourself, how do you seal it against the rim?

4. What do you use to balance your tires? The article I posted mentions Dyna Beads... they look interesting (if I were to mount my own tires) but I always like to hear first-hand experience.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Now all we need to toss in the mix is Darksiders��
Ha, going Darkside is why I sealed my spokes in the first place. Choke on that Skeet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtiegirtie View Post
I'm interested in doing this and have just a couple of questions:

1. Do you have the rubber rim protector, the thing that normally goes between the tube and the rim, over the 5200 or just leave the 5200 there and go with a tire right over top?

No, tossed in trash. IMO, it serves no purpose anymore.

2. Did you put the tire on or did you have a shop do it? I've only attempted tire replacement once, on a tractor, and it was a total pain in the balz. I'm worried that if I brought a tire and my 'modified' rim to a shop they would refuse to put it on for me.

When I sealed mine I put a car tire on it and mounted it myself. It was not that bad, but I have a ton of experience in dealing with many kinds of tires. I run a 230 MC tire on it now and I did bring it to a local shop to mount. It has super stiff sides and was more than I cared to fool with without a machine. They should not give you any problems, just explain that the wheel is sealed and not to put a tube in it. If they do, go elsewhere.

3. If you put the tire on yourself, how do you seal it against the rim?

If the tire does not meet up with the rim enough to be seated you can put a binder strap around the tire and it will push the sidewalls out enough to seal.

4. What do you use to balance your tires? The article I posted mentions Dyna Beads... they look interesting (if I were to mount my own tires) but I always like to hear first-hand experience.

I use Dyna Beads. If you have a shop mount it remember to tell them not to balance it.

I know you asked Charlie, but see my answers in red above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page