Honda VTX Forum banner

Tsukayu GPS Fairing

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  JPT 
#1 · (Edited)
When I was looking into a batwing fairing I felt like there wasn't an detailed enough review of the Tsukayu GPS Fairing, and what one should think about when installing. So here is a review, good and the bad.

When I was google searching I saw complaints about the speakers, and that it doesn't have enough power (purchased without the optional amp). So I opted to get the 4 channel amp, they pre-wired it bridged. I will say, this thing is LOUD...

Issues:
1) One speaker is damaged, or defective, it crackles even at low volume
2) Both speaker covers had at one nub broken from over tightening (I only noticed this because of my speaker test I will explain further down)
3) Music doesn't seem to play from my phone via USB (this might be my issue)
4) I get NO signal with the radio antenna

So, it was delivered yesterday pre-assembled without the flat windshield installed. I opened everything and installed indicator lights. I picked the location and went ahead and drilled through the fiberglass. I started with a small drill bit and stepped it up until the indicators just fit (I had to use force to push it into place). I already tapped off of the indicator wires in the headlight bucket. I wanted to keep the batwing removeable, so I put in a waterproof connector between the fairing and the headlight bucket. I also covered the wires with a plastic sleeve.

Indicators (ordered 2 of these):

Here is how it looks inside, wired up with the amp:

Here is the initial fitting on the bike. Sorry I did not include how I setup the brackets:

I ordered the 10" smoked windshield. I am 6'2", sitting on the factory seat I am looking though the windshield. I have a corbin seat, that sits me considerably higher, so this will be perfect with that seat. I will also get a 5" or 8" to use with the factory seat.

While I am testing, I have the tank off, and borrowed a so-so car battery from a local mechanic to use so I don't damage my bikes battery.

Here is a clip of how you can hear the speaker damage. I noticed it right away. I swapped the speakers left to right and the sound carried with the speaker, so it is clearly the speaker and not the wiring. I hope the clip doesn't get taken down from youtube, but here it is:

EDIT: NOT SAFE FOR WORK (LANGUAGE)

I have sent a message to the vendor with my issues, hopefully they will resolve them.

I am happy with the batwing fairing, even if they do not resolve it. Some day in the future I will upgrade the speakers.

See less See more
2 6
#2 ·
UPDATE: I contacted the US based (Florida) representative. I passed along my issues, he is going to pass this along to the China team and have them replace the speaker, speaker covers, and see if there is a solution to the bad radio reception.

#6 · (Edited)
So, an update:

1) I sent an email to Tsukayu and they are sending 1 replacement speaker.
2) Regular radio signal is garbage, I got an aftermarket antenna and it worked only while holding it (I would need a powered antenna I think)
3) I got Polk Audio MM692 (6x9) Marine speakers and installed them

Polk Audio Speakers Installed:

I setup the gain and crossovers for maximum sound without damage. I have to say I am very impressed with my setup. I gave up on radio, but I'm not sure I need it. I have Pandora, SiriusXM Radio, and a 64GB SD card with all my songs. I also have Waze, Google Maps to use when online (tethered to my phone), and have the Tsukayu suggested offline GPS Maps on order (SD card).

I had to get longer bolts and used a stack of washers to lower my light bar about 3/4", just enough for the lights to clear the batwing cover.

So here it sits all back together and wired up to the battery (I've been using a car battery for setting everything up):
Please excuse the mess on my shelf

I plan to get some black racing stripes down the center of the front/rear fenders and gas tank. I like the contrast of black covers and the black batwing. I think having it all silver would be a bit boring.

My future plans, Black Gel coat Tsukayu Saddle Bags. But I have spent enough this year, and I already have leather (leather like) bags.

#7 · (Edited)
Added wind deflectors that I picked up on facebook... I had to use a combination of 2 Cobra extender brackets to get it to work. I also put on 2 layers of wax on the batwing fairing.

I can’t wait to actually ride it and see how she is. I will likely pick up 2 smaller windshields before spring, a small 4-5 inch one and a 7-8 inch one.

I just assume I will need the wind deflectors, since I haven't been able to ride the bike yet... Winter sigh...

#9 ·
The weather hit 59° today, so I took the bike off of the Redline stand and did a shake down run. I have to say with my longride shield 8” (measured from bolt hole so about 7” above the fairing) and the ultimate bigboy seats and the lower fairing deflectors the ride is smooth all the way up to 85 mph. Today was an unusually windy day too. I just added the seat, it is REAL nice.

The bad news... About 5 minutes into my ride one side for the bridged amp stopped working. I took it back home, opened the fairing and tested by swapping inputs, outputs, and everything follows 2 of the 4 (it is bridged) channels.

But even at 85, I could hear the music clearly with my half helmet and earplugs with one speaker.

Tsukayu has been very resposive, but as I did with the speakers, I may go with an better 2 channel amp. But either way I will warranty the amp, and install it for now.

#13 ·
I was having a problem getting a GPS signal this season. I made a couple videos of the Android based iGO stand alone GPS app, Google Maps, Waze, and the GPS Test app and sent it to Tsukayu and the Ebay seller that provided me the iGO app. Honestly, this time the ebay seller was more responsive then Tsukayu (I've never had response issues with them before).

The Ebay seller was able to diagnose that the issue was either the GPS antenna or the head unit. So I took it apart and when I removed the provided GPS antenna you could hear the internals shaking (something was loose). After that, I figured it was cheap enough to get a replacement GPS antenna. As soon as I plugged the replacement in all GPS apps worked like day 1.

Because I had everything apart, I took the opportunity to take my outer shell back to the guy who wrapped it. The clear bra was shrinking and pulled apart at one of the round parts.

It's a bad thing to have an open batwing, it makes me think of upgrades. So, I started looking for a better amp, and had my mind set on finding a better quality amp that fit the shelf location already set for the amp. I ended up finding a factory refurbished Rockford Fosgate TM400X2ad. A 2 channel amp that puts out 200W per channel. This coupled with my Polk Audio mm692 should be a good upgrade.

After installing it, I have to say WOW... HUGE Difference. I didn't realize how bad the Nakamichi ngmd60.4 amp provided by Tsukayu was. Clean undistorted sound at all volume levels. Deep sounds that never were there before. The music is just pure and clean.

At the advice of a friend who is really into bike systems, I added a computer fan I had sitting around. The batwing does not have a lot of room, so I had to tuck the fan in next to the shelf. There is just enough room to move air around inside the batwing. There is an opening right next to the fan, so it should help pull in some air. The fan is based off of accessories, so it will always be running with key.

#15 ·
I cant get Tsukayu to answer my calls or return a call from messages I have left. I have been tring for 2 weeks now. Double Boox is missing a small door. No reply from The company I ordered the fairing from/386-222-3839. Try it they dont answer. twice My phone rang once but was disconnected before I could answer. When I call back same thing. Buyer Beware.

#17 ·
I bought and setup my batwing years ago, pre-pandemic. I have no idea of how they are now, but the 800 number is 1 guy in Florida who manages all US imports, for all of their stuff. I imagine he has another job in the US.

These are Chinese imported parts, so you do not actually speak to the factory. Now, if you email them, I have found they are very responsive. During the pandemic, my GPS antenna failed (I think the vibrations unglued the internal components as they were loose inside. I emailed them, even after owning the batwing for years, they shipped me a free replacement (I ordered one on Amazon, because it was cheap and got to me faster). Whenever I have had issues, they have promptly addressed them, but once I bought the batwing, I have only contacted them via email.

sales@tsukayu.com