I do not remember anyone stealing a seat.
The ease of getting to the battery is much improved.
I did this mod, with my factory seat. I was very happy with it.
I got an ultimate bigboy seat, and tried drilling out the captive nut. Boy have I had a bunch of issues since. But I have it worked out now.
I wish I had used a pin that didn't require drilling. Even if it destroyed the threads.
When drilling out my bigboy seat, the welded captive nuts ripped off. Without the depth of the nuts, the seat will wobble making it pop off of the pin. What I ended up doing was getting 3/8" course thread socket cap bolts. I had to order 1.25" thread length online (home depot and all local places had 1" - too short or 1.5" - touches the fender).
I then now had a hard time getting a nut on the back. I tried JB welding the nut to the back of the seat bracket. It worked for 2 test fits, then they broke off.
I tried manually holding the nuts in place, but it took me 2 hours to be able to get the seat bolted down. Every time I got one side set, I would drop the nut down the finder and would have to remove the seat.
I need to be able to get to the battery, without having to spend 2 hours trying to reinstall the seat, so I came up with welding nuts to a wrenches, grinding them down, and cutting them to size.
I had to have a shop doing the welding (I dont have 220 setup at home):
Here I ground, flap disc'ed and cut them down:
Bolted up (I can rotate them so they are not visible from behind:
So, To others, if you intend on getting aftermarket seats, I suggest not drilling, find pins that will fit, this way you don't have to go through all the steps I did.
My seat is stable now, it was a lot of work, but I no longer have quick disconnects with the bigboy seat.