Seat pin mod - Page 2 - VTXOA
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger 1800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroy60 View Post
I drilled mine out and used the dedent pins. I love it, no tools needed to STEAL SEAT.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif[/IMG]
Sorry....that's what I read.
I’m so old school still. Even after years in law enforcement, I still find it hard to believe that someone would just lift a bike seat.
lofty likes this.

It's not the speed....it's that sudden stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:41 PM

Garage
I do not remember anyone stealing a seat.

The ease of getting to the battery is much improved.
rangers4u and Curt E like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:57 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post

I did this mod, with my factory seat. I was very happy with it.

I got an ultimate bigboy seat, and tried drilling out the captive nut. Boy have I had a bunch of issues since. But I have it worked out now.

I wish I had used a pin that didn't require drilling. Even if it destroyed the threads.

When drilling out my bigboy seat, the welded captive nuts ripped off. Without the depth of the nuts, the seat will wobble making it pop off of the pin. What I ended up doing was getting 3/8" course thread socket cap bolts. I had to order 1.25" thread length online (home depot and all local places had 1" - too short or 1.5" - touches the fender).

I then now had a hard time getting a nut on the back. I tried JB welding the nut to the back of the seat bracket. It worked for 2 test fits, then they broke off.

I tried manually holding the nuts in place, but it took me 2 hours to be able to get the seat bolted down. Every time I got one side set, I would drop the nut down the finder and would have to remove the seat.

I need to be able to get to the battery, without having to spend 2 hours trying to reinstall the seat, so I came up with welding nuts to a wrenches, grinding them down, and cutting them to size.

I had to have a shop doing the welding (I dont have 220 setup at home):

Here I ground, flap disc'ed and cut them down:

Bolted up (I can rotate them so they are not visible from behind:

So, To others, if you intend on getting aftermarket seats, I suggest not drilling, find pins that will fit, this way you don't have to go through all the steps I did.

My seat is stable now, it was a lot of work, but I no longer have quick disconnects with the bigboy seat.

2009 VTX1300R

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
Bike let me down and I could not remove seat. I did this mod. No more problems removing seat.
rangers4u likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Just an FYI. Industrial fastener supply houses sell smaller bolts in 1/4" length increments or 5 MM length increments. I worked for one for 17 years in the 80's-90's. If you can't find them at the big box hardware places. Or places like Ace. You can also get them in SS rather than the black which will rust.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post

I did this mod, with my factory seat. I was very happy with it.

I got an ultimate bigboy seat, and tried drilling out the captive nut. Boy have I had a bunch of issues since. But I have it worked out now.

I wish I had used a pin that didn't require drilling. Even if it destroyed the threads.

When drilling out my bigboy seat, the welded captive nuts ripped off. Without the depth of the nuts, the seat will wobble making it pop off of the pin. What I ended up doing was getting 3/8" course thread socket cap bolts. I had to order 1.25" thread length online (home depot and all local places had 1" - too short or 1.5" - touches the fender).

I then now had a hard time getting a nut on the back. I tried JB welding the nut to the back of the seat bracket. It worked for 2 test fits, then they broke off.

I tried manually holding the nuts in place, but it took me 2 hours to be able to get the seat bolted down. Every time I got one side set, I would drop the nut down the finder and would have to remove the seat.

I need to be able to get to the battery, without having to spend 2 hours trying to reinstall the seat, so I came up with welding nuts to a wrenches, grinding them down, and cutting them to size.

I had to have a shop doing the welding (I dont have 220 setup at home):

Here I ground, flap disc'ed and cut them down:

Bolted up (I can rotate them so they are not visible from behind:

So, To others, if you intend on getting aftermarket seats, I suggest not drilling, find pins that will fit, this way you don't have to go through all the steps I did.

My seat is stable now, it was a lot of work, but I no longer have quick disconnects with the bigboy seat.

2009 VTX1300R
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
JPT that was not worth doing the mod. Tread carefully. One would think something similar to OEM, captive nut is different.

C fender rail is different than R/S.
My Mustang 1300C seat has the tab on the outside, same as OEM.
Photo edited to show VTX model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTXseatpinmod1-09497.jpg (346.0 KB, 13 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 01-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Hans...r u saying the 5/16 pins worked ?

2005 Honda VTX 1800C1....5,700 miles;
1982 XJ750 Maxim, 18.5k miles, original owner
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
Yes the 5/16" pins worked and are in use on my 1300C VTX with a Mustang seat.
New photo today of right side pin from saddlebag height.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTXseatpinmod1-09497.jpg (346.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1300C seat pin right side-lr.jpg (979.8 KB, 21 views)

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Why did you remove the steel loops and replace with wire ???

And did you drill hole with 5/16" inch drill bit ??

2005 Honda VTX 1800C1....5,700 miles;
1982 XJ750 Maxim, 18.5k miles, original owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page