Heel toe shifters - Page 2 - VTXOA
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:38 PM

Agreed,easy, until you wind it out and stomp down on the toe end. Not that i would do that but , hey, it could happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 PM

Wow! And I started on the road with a foot clutch, tank shift ('46 WL). You'll get it man. A natural pattern will emerge.
lofty and StarrRider like this.

'02 1800C Kingdom of Kicks Dang! That's 'hot-stuff'. Damn near blew the first beer of the day out my nose.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 PM

My shoe fit so tight between the pegs I got tired of sliding my foot out to shift, also feel shifting with your toe can done with more finesse than slamming it down with your heal so I cut off the rear part of the shifter. Just my 2 cents, never got used to it.

Red 2004 1800N

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Wow! And I started on the road with a foot clutch, tank shift ('46 WL). You'll get it man. A natural pattern will emerge.
Blast you must be as old as me. I found out why they called them suicide clutches ('47). The retaining bolt came loose so when I rocked it back at a stop sign in first gear, I put my foot down, and away I went.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrider43 View Post
My shoe fit so tight between the pegs I got tired of sliding my foot out to shift, also feel shifting with your toe can done with more finesse than slamming it down with your heal so I cut off the rear part of the shifter. Just my 2 cents, never got used to it.

I guess u know the shifter is adjustable ....u can raise it so your toe can slide under like its meant to...

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 AM

Garage
most if not all controls on motorcycles are adjustable to some degree...

hand controls need a pin removed... I did this on day 2 of my then NEW VTX1800F....

next was the shifter... big feet with motorcycle boots..

50 years of fitting my bike to me..

side note... most motorcyclist "TODAY" would not ride bikes with the much NEEDED maintenance on bikes from the pre 1970's...

bikes use to have grease fittings..... twice a year..

lube drive chain after EVERY RAIN...

remove engine side case to clean oil filter drum...

MAN, its EASY today. our new bikes are ALMOST Cars..

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 AM

TennX....the adjustment would still limit where I put my foot, now I can slide it as far back on the board as I want, just personal opinion I guess.
TennX likes this.

Red 2004 1800N
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 03:29 PM
RBS

I use the toe to go up & down.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 PM

My VTX was a C, so no floorboards. On the Harley, the heel and toe levers are individual so one can adjust the angles and elevation of each. Many Harley owners so simply remove the heel lever. For me it seemed natural to have both with floorboards, just a toe lever for pegs. I've never gotten mixed up between moving from the dirt bike to the Harley, but that's just me.
jbrittjr likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
most if not all controls on motorcycles are adjustable to some degree...

hand controls need a pin removed... I did this on day 2 of my then NEW VTX1800F....

next was the shifter... big feet with motorcycle boots..

50 years of fitting my bike to me..

side note... most motorcyclist "TODAY" would not ride bikes with the much NEEDED maintenance on bikes from the pre 1970's...

bikes use to have grease fittings..... twice a year..

lube drive chain after EVERY RAIN...

remove engine side case to clean oil filter drum...

MAN, its EASY today. our new bikes are ALMOST Cars..
It sure is Chuck, but that's OK. I no longer feel the need to carry a tool set, just a couple simple things. Do I remember grease fittings? Holy Cow, the bike I referenced ('46 WL) that I learned to ride the road with, had half a dozen fittings just in the springer front end. And for it's worth (I know you WERE always a Honda guy) I grew up on HDs, 20 years on 88" '56 Pan/Shovel, and I never had any 'reliability' issues. Lot of PM though.
chuck_VTX F and Harkon like this.

'02 1800C Kingdom of Kicks Dang! That's 'hot-stuff'. Damn near blew the first beer of the day out my nose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page