USB Outlets - VTXOA
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

USB Outlets

I should know this answer, but I'm not sure. I've had a USB outlet on my bike for a while, but I could never get it to work right. Always got a slow charging message on my phone. Had the bike apart today and connected it straight to the battery rather than the marker light wire that I was using. I was getting 8v from the marker light wire and a solid 12.8 from the battery. I went ahead and connected it straight to the battery not thinking. The outlet has no led indicator or pretty lighted ring, but I'm wondering if I'm still going to drain my when the bike is off and the outlet not in use? I'm guessing it might since there's still a circuit stepping down the voltage from 12v to 5v? I really don't want to dig back into the battery again. PIA!

2007 VTX1300C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
I can't see it draining anything when not in use.,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
A regulator would draw current when connected to power.
It may be drawing low current but +5v is still being provided.

505 go back and see where the 8v begins.
Marker light wire as in speedo/tail light/license plate light?? Black/Brown wire in the front, solid Brown to the bullet terminals in the right side cover.
Oxidation in a wire terminal could cause the voltage drop.
Check for battery voltage at the fuse, one side faces Ignition switch/battery the other side the load.

Some USB power ports provide 1/2 amp +5v (Usually older ones) Late model devices show a message about a low charging current.

Most new USB provide 1 to 2 amps +5v
Harkon and DrDolittle like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 03-29-2019 at 10:45 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
A regulator would draw current when connected to power.
It may be drawing low current but +5v is still being provided.

505 go back and see where the 8v begins.
Marker light wire as in speedo/tail light/license plate light?? Black/Brown wire in the front, solid Brown to the bullet terminals in the right side cover.
Oxidation in a wire terminal could cause the voltage drop.
Check for battery voltage at the fuse, one side faces Ignition switch/battery.

Some USB power ports provide 1/2 amp +5v (Usually older ones)

Most new USB provide 1 to 2 amps +5v
I'll go back and check it. Back at the fire department tomorrow. Hopefully I can get to it quick. I bought this USB outlet at cycle gear in Memphis last year. I believe it is a single 2.1 amp output. It did great charging my phone tonight using the Ulysses App which is a battery drainer itself. It charged the GoPro up pretty fast as well. As far as the 8v goes, Its been a year since I wired that up. I found a hot going to the front marker/running lights in the headlight bucket. I don't remember what color/combination. It'll be easy enough to find again. Thanks for the input.
DrDolittle likes this.

2007 VTX1300C
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Garage
The optional fog light 3 pin connector has +12v (Black/Brown) and Ground (Green).
DrDolittle likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Old Goat

Good luck....I’m old school...gps is hardwired and have dedicated 12 volt plug for other doodads.....
DrDolittle likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM

I don't understand why people are reluctant to run a 6 circuit fuse block off the battery to run all their accessories and be protected by a fuse in the circuit. Easy and cheap.
Xman/qc, TennX, BobD and 2 others like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
I don't understand why people are reluctant to run a 6 circuit fuse block off the battery to run all their accessories and be protected by a fuse in the circuit. Easy and cheap.
That was one of my first mods back in the day...should have mentioned in my post........13 years no issues...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
I'd go one better. I added the accessory fuse block and fed it through an automotive relay so none of the accessories drain the battery when the bike is OFF. Very simple to do.

- stevie
Xman/qc, BobD, Harkon and 2 others like this.

2002 1800R - Blurple with blue flames, mustang studded seat, muzzy's 2-into-2, hydroedge 205/65/16
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
I'd go one better. I added the accessory fuse block and fed it through an automotive relay so none of the accessories drain the battery when the bike is OFF. Very simple to do.

- stevie
FYI...using relay’s (should be a given)
is how most of us do it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page