What Do you Think The Pros & Cons of the X Are? - Page 3 - VTXOA
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
My question is though, are the electrical switches so finicky on the 1800? I've owned about 8 motorcycles the past 28 years and I have never come across switches that give so many problems like on the VTX. Pretty much from the get-go right when I got her last year I had to replace the starter assembly switch as it was beyond cleaning. Just recently, I had to put copious amounts of WD-40 on the turn signal switch for it to work properly.
At first I thought it was just luck of the draw if you want to call it that, but after reading countless threads here and in the cafe apparently this is a common problem.
Whenever I hear about any potential electrical issues I start to grow a few extra gray hair and have to down a bottle of Pepto-Bismol just to wrap my head around it because I know it can be potentially labor-intensive to diagnose the problem and unfortunately that is way beyond my scope.

I can not believe the high level of luck you have with motorcycle switches on Japan motorcycles..

this has been extremely common since the 1960's on Honda's.... and all Japan made bikes...

they use NON-Self Cleaning switches... aka bean counters trash good designs all the time.
I can speak with experience... I was a Honda dealership mechanic for years...
few other brands design switches to be disassembled for service....

a North American made machine, the starter switch and housing is 250 plus labor... not serviceable.

these are still motorcycles .. NOT CARS..

< hundreds of post by me and others >

clean the starter/ run/stop/horn/high-low/turn signal switches every 2 years...
since 2004....

My retired opinion.. an is worth what you PAID for it.

a same and different point.. many American cars have had cars recalled.... from power window switches that were mounted on doors fail or short out. from getting wet... when the doors are opened with it raining...
steveroy60 likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-02-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 AM

Garage
I venture to say... most people that ride motorcycles today or in the past 20 plus years...

would not ride.. AT ALL...

if the bikes today where anything like bikes from the late 40's to early 70's.

you Had to be a mechanic, electrician, fabricator, even parts retriever... from parts falling off the bikes.
brakes that did not work in the rain... chain service every 100 miles.. and every time you rode in the rain... grease fittings.. every month.

a flat tire.. meant a 3 to 4 hour delay... an flat tires were VERY COMMON back then..

RANT OVER.
Chicago-Spike, ervin260 and Curt E like this.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-02-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: give a man a bar of gold.. and he bitches its to dam heavy...
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Switches and electrical don't like moisture. That worked for me because I don't like riding in the rain. I had my VTX for 4 years and I serviced the switches once. Some dielectric grease in small amounts keeps moisture from doing its worst in there. If you often park outside in the weather, you can expect more problems.

We often hear about the great value these bikes are ... and they are, but corners do get cut unfortunately. Cost saving measures come at the expense of things we don't generally expect and likely feel are a poor choice, however the goal is to get them off the showroom floor. For Honda keeping a reputation for reliability is important, but switch gear generally doesn't factor into that formula. Really, as Chuck said, the electrical and switch gear on the VTX is about on pat with it's contemporaries. I just made it part of my put it away for the winter / get it ready in the spring routine. I have a similar, albeit different, routine for the Harley. Put it away rode hard and put up wet, expect disappointment at some point. That applies to any bike. My $0.02

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabber View Post
Wish it had sixth
Bigger tank

I don't think it is top heavy personally. If it feels heavy and doesn't want to turn you probably don't have the rear set stiff enough. I ride with the rear shock in the number 3 spot. I know allot of people ride on 1 or 2 because it sits lower but it kills the handling I weigh 235 and never carry luggage. So if you carry more weight than that try 3 see what it does for you Ill bet it makes it a whole new bike.
I agree. It's heavy, but not really top heavy. Some complain about top heaviness, others put even more weight on the top like fairing, stereo, speakers. Isn't it interesting...?
chuck_VTX F and Harkon like this.

VTX 1800/280
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
I venture to say... most people that ride motorcycles today or in the past 20 plus years...

would not ride.. AT ALL...

if the bikes today where anything like bikes from the late 40's to early 70's.

you Had to be a mechanic, electrician, fabricator, even parts retriever... from parts falling off the bikes.
brakes that did not work in the rain... chain service every 100 miles.. and every time you rode in the rain... grease fittings.. every month.

a flat tire.. meant a 3 to 4 hour delay... an flat tires were VERY COMMON back then..

RANT OVER.
Certainly not arguing with u...but for the record back in the day I had a 67 CL77 and 69 650 bonneville ....zero issues, just had to keep gas in them....
chuck_VTX F likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”

2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
for the older 1800 with the pump in the tank

there is a thread here (someplace).... on how to use an external fuel pump... and remove the one inside the tank...

and gain about half gallon more.. maybe 20 more miles

mine is 4.7 gallons...

once I used 4.6... I was lost and New to Texas...
Or... for about the same money, you can leave the pump, cut off the top of the OEM air box and make the tank larger at the bottom on the right side. You can gain more than a gallon...
chuck_VTX F likes this.

VTX 1800/280

Last edited by ervin260; 04-02-2019 at 11:03 AM.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Currently, my bike is always kept indoors when I'm not riding. What's interesting is between 1993 and 1999 I had a 1984 Honda Magna which was for the most part always kept out doors for at least 6 months out of the year and rain or shine and have never had a problem in six years with any of the switches.

For me the VTX is a keeper. Even if one day I have the means to get another bike I'm still keeping the X. I cannot think of any bike in this platform whether it be metric or V-Twin that can come close to matching the power the VTX for the money.
steveroy60 likes this.
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM
JPT

Garage
I'm not trying to argue with some of the veterans here. But, I have owned several bikes over the years (the last 12-15 have been garaged), this is my first Honda, I have always been a Kawi guy. I have NEVER had a switch go, or even start to act up. I disagree that it is a Japanese motorcycle thing, I think it is more a Honda thing.

I have had to take my starter switch apart, I could feel it needed to be lubed (I got my bike 9 months ago). I need to take my indicator switch apart and do the same.

I had my 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX12r for 11 years, I never once opened the switches, not even once.

I also had a 1988 Kawasaki 454LTD that was never garaged, and even spent 2 years In Corpus Christi's South Padre Island (it was a rust bucket, and took me a year of polishing to bring it back), never had to touch the indicator, which even had self canceling using the speedo wire (non electronic, it had a rotating wire).
steveroy60 likes this.

2009 VTX1300R

Last edited by JPT; 04-02-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
Currently, my bike is always kept indoors when I'm not riding. What's interesting is between 1993 and 1999 I had a 1984 Honda Magna which was for the most part always kept out doors for at least 6 months out of the year and rain or shine and have never had a problem in six years with any of the switches.

For me the VTX is a keeper. Even if one day I have the means to get another bike I'm still keeping the X. I cannot think of any bike in this platform whether it be metric or V-Twin that can come close to matching the power the VTX for the money.

I never had an issue with the turn signals either, but when the start button was acting up, and it wasn't a big deal, I did a quick maintenance on both sides. Easy to do. I suspect I would have been good for years yet. Mine was an '02, I got it in '10 and sold it in '15. Many miles and almost zero issues. The start button started by turning the headlight off but the headlight stayed off unless I tapped the switch. It took like 20 minutes and it was good ever since. That button in particular becomes a problem when people add to the electrical load it needs to carry. Add a light bar or almost anything that adds to the current and you most certainly will begin to have issues. Add a relay if you add load, and you will have zero issues if you prepare the switch correctly. My son had an Italian scooter for 2 years and the turn signal switch failed. It happens with age and weather, no matter the brand or origin.

Yeah, it's a keeper for sure. I do regret selling mine. These days for the same money you can find a used M109, and if you're lucky a V-Rod for about the same money, both will spank the VTX1800 all else being equal, but the VTX is the better looking bike IMO, although I do kinda like the V-Rod as well. If you stray from the twin cylinder engine, the V-Max is available at about the same price and will also handily spank all of the above. Heck an 1800 GW will give a VTX all it's got and more, especially in a straight line, albeit at a higher price. That flat 6 has some serious grunt and power is smooth and flat. GWs in good shape do have good residual value. My point is that the VTX was the "power cruiser" but the world has since moved on. As time passed that torque and HP specs of the VTX became only average. That said, it still has the power to put a smile on this face, and that's really what counts in the end.
steveroy60 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 04-02-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
Certainly not arguing with u...but for the record back in the day I had a 67 CL77 and 69 650 bonneville ....zero issues, just had to keep gas in them....

no arguing. .. or disagreement...
I got my 66 CB77 in 69,,,, same engine different frame as CL77.
steering head bearings.. fork seals... rear swing arm bushings.....
all bar switches had issues..

maybe.. I live 10 miles south of Lake Erie...and 6 months of winter..

1971... the shifting fork ratchet assemble failed.....

transmission went from 4th to first gear.. at 65 miles per hour... engine pegged the tach at 12,000rpm.. engine received NO DAMAGE..

I split the engine case... replaced shifter parts.. rode another 4 months.

I sold the bike in 72 with 12,xxx miles.. for a NEW CB750....

it was a good and fun machine... but needed maintenance...
It may not like a 220 pound rider.. at 6'3"....

the 305 ( CA,CB,CL (77 ) ) were the second largest bike Honda made...

the CB450 was the largest ... 1966 was the first year..

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page