What Do you Think The Pros & Cons of the X Are? - Page 8 - VTXOA
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Bought a vtx1300 in 2005 and it now has 68000 miles. It has been and still is a great bike.
PROS---Easy to work on and service and I am not mechanically inclined.
Maintenance is all it has needed----no problem at all.
Accessories are easy to find to make it your own. ----- Yes they may not be making some of thhem any more but they are still out there. I now also have a yamaha stratoliner and looking for front fender rails, passenger floorboards mounts and highway lights are like looking for a unicorn. when you find them used they are about 2 times what they were new.
Plenty of power and bullet proof
Good looking---bike still gets many complements
Many more but these are the top of the list

CONS-----If I think of any I will update my post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger 1800 View Post
Jeeze Chuck, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you took my list of con's personally?
We are pleased to know you understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aarrrgh!.JPG (38.6 KB, 6 views)
post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
We are pleased to know you understand.
Thanks man...appreciate it. My goal is to one day be as smart as you think you are.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!"

-Mike Tyson

post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Bought my 04 1800C with 3,500 miles in 06 now have 9,500. Always rode Honda's on the street starting with a CB160 and moved up to a 305 Super Hawk, then 350 to 550 to 750K. Raced Suzuki RM's, better than the Honda of the day. Now have a GL1800, wife comfort ride better than the X. Will never get rid of the X as it is a beast and one of the most fun rides with loads of power. Too much fun with my Harley riding friends, I tell them their shaking is due to them knowing the X is coming! I agree with the small tank but if you have a two hour bladder and a three hour bike you still stop. Learned that is flight school . So fuel stops are not a problem. Just really need to plan where you are going to make sure there is a fuel stop. Factory seat is poor and I had rebuilt and use an Airhawk. Direct Line still has a good amount of parts, at least what I use. Just my two cents.
rangers4u likes this.
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra55 View Post
Bought my 04 1800C with 3,500 miles in 06 now have 9,500. Always rode Honda's on the street starting with a CB160 and moved up to a 305 Super Hawk, then 350 to 550 to 750K. Raced Suzuki RM's, better than the Honda of the day. Now have a GL1800, wife comfort ride better than the X. Will never get rid of the X as it is a beast and one of the most fun rides with loads of power. Too much fun with my Harley riding friends, I tell them their shaking is due to them knowing the X is coming! I agree with the small tank but if you have a two hour bladder and a three hour bike you still stop. Learned that is flight school . So fuel stops are not a problem. Just really need to plan where you are going to make sure there is a fuel stop. Factory seat is poor and I had rebuilt and use an Airhawk. Direct Line still has a good amount of parts, at least what I use. Just my two cents.

my first bike was a 1966 305 Superhawk ( CB77 ).. in 1969.
1972 got a 72 CB750
1975 a GL1000 Wing
a bunch more over the 50 years of riding. all Honda's.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-15-2019 at 07:26 AM.
post #76 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Garage
you people do not understand....

I used to be a Honda Dealer mechanic... many and many years..

the hack, butchery and bad mistreatment on used bikes.. is SO common..
so owner of a USED bike that bad mouth a bike.. is the fault of past owners.. not the bike...

my grumpy opinion..
if you seen what I seen every day.. you would feel the same way..

the VTX was never designed to compete with a GoldWing...
its a Bar Hopper..
Harkon, rangers4u and jbrittjr like this.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-15-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #77 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
its a Bar Hopper..
I dont drink much anymore () can I still ride mine...

Phil...(71)ĒNobody told me I die at the endĒ
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #78 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
I dont drink much anymore () can I still ride mine...

I drink ONE beer a year.. on my birthday... with a BIG super RARE steak.. and a Large baked potato... and lots of butter..

Bar Hopper, it's a sub-title... not a RULE
Harkon, rangers4u and henkvdb like this.

post #79 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Garage
besides.. what do I know

when the 6 cylinder Gold Wing came out.. and really expected after the 1800 wing came out..

I figured Honda would bring back the 4 cylinder Gold Wing Interstate.... as a lesser Road tourer..
aka a smaller sister Wing.

but History.. CX500, CX650 failures...
they had a fairing, bags.. even a trunk if wanted.

maybe it has to do with the "X" ....??
good bikes... poor sales.

I have been Wrong before... and Will again.
rangers4u likes this.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #80 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Yup, not intended as an all day bike. That's GW territory ... or why I moved to a RGU.

I completely get it Chuck. People most often create their own nightmare and make it someone else's fault. I suppose that's the price of working in the service industry where every buttcrack can have an opinion. I will say though, I have, as a customer, rarely experienced the frustration that a customer can expect in the motorcycle repair business. Little is more frustrating than dealing with a service advisor, or worse a tech, that knows less about your problem than you do. AND, knows less about what needs doing than you do. No lie, a month after I bought my VTX I scheduled a trip to the dealer so that they could flush the hydraulics, and check the valve clearance. I had already put new plugs in it, not because it needed new plugs but because someone had already swapped them for something cheaper. When I picked it up they had charged me for new plugs, among other things I did not request. That was $20 CAD per plug up here. Doing the math that's more than a little bit. I told them the plugs that were in there were less than a week old, and was told they they could not re-use spark plugs because they use a crush washer. I asked for my "old" plugs back and they were gone ... gone. So I'm out $80 because a tech doesn't know he can re-use spark plugs. Believe it my friend.

Back to the VTX though. As a boulevard cruiser it has about the best lines in the market. It's why I loved the "C" model so much, and likely why you like the "F" model. I like the "N" as well, and the R/S less but they are still very nice bikes, and I'd love to own one again. You can make one an all day bike, but I believe there are better options out there for that. OTOH, if you can have only one bike, then the VTX checks a lot of boxes. It is too bad it was the wrong bike for the time. I think if Honda had done a single pin crank with a performance lean, they could have captured more market. That said, Honda is all about performance when it's a performance bike. Purpose built bikes from Honda tend to favor performance moderation to target their purpose. Case-in-point, every Honda not intended for a track.
chuck_VTX F and rangers4u like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page