Can am Spider - Page 3 - VTXOA
 50Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
RScottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NE Kentucky, United States
Posts: 142
Garage
My wife has expressed interest in riding a bike of her own but is also concerned that she could have issues due to her MS.

She saw a Spyder and said she may like one of those.

I worry though as I am not a mechanic by no means and anything much more complicated than an oil change is not my cup of tea. This is why I ride Honda's!

2004 VTX1300C
RScottie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
A_Ninja_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa/Valrico, FL.
Posts: 488
Garage
I test road one once back in 2011 and the things I didn't like about it were primarly the same difference with riding any kind of trike. My other main issue was the lack of power. I thought it should have a zx14 motor or a hyabusa motor. Now Yamaha has come out with that new 3 wheeled monstrocity I had the opportunity to test ride one at this last bike week but didn't get around to it but I heard a lot of guys walking away saying that once you were on it you couldn't tell that you weren't on a 2 wheeled bike. If Can-An could do somehting like that where the center sectioned leaned as you turned then I might consider giving it another test ride.

8,000K HID Head Light Conversion, ISO FlameGrips, Kury Turn Signal Mirrors, Mustang seat W/ Driver Backrest, Paladin Backrest/luggage Rack/Saddlebags.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
leroys73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 1,263
I will have to defend the Syder. I have test ridden two. Then I rented one for two days. They were the previous engine.

The two day rental consisted of one day sort of local and about 200 miles. My wife will not ride with me but she did on the Spyder. That may be good or bad depending on if you want The Wife along. LOL

The second day I rode solo from Dallas to Oklahoma City, about 400 miles round trip. I took the back roads on the way up an hit the curves pretty hard. On the way back I was on I-35 running between 75 and 80. It was great.

I like the safety built into it when it comes to curves. Flipping a trike would be easy but the Spyder controls the braking and speed if the lean gets out of peramentures. I did not have a problem with acceleration. I am used to fast and quick. No it is not a dragster nor a moto GT.

The place I rented from did say they required "tweeking" after each rental. At that time the owner/chief mechanic said they had one processor so when it went all stopped. Hopefully they have improved that.

If a guy feels more comfortable on three wheels than 4 don't make fun of him. He is still riding! I would rather ride on three than on 4 or not at all. If we live long enough all of us will have stability problems. So to keep riding 3 wheels is better than no wheels. I know some guys that say if I can't ride on two I won't ride, their business. I had an uncle like that. He was miserable the last years of his life. These guys remind me of those who say if it ain't a Harley it ain't a motorcycle as they ride off to their favorite bar and averaging 1,000 miles a year at most.

I like the Spyder better than any trike I have ridden (I like sidecars better than trikes). The Spyders I rode were quite spunky. The new engine is even better. Getting used to the steering, it is quick, was my greatest difficulty. Reliability is something I'd have to investigate. Resale is of no interest to me as I keep stuff until it is worthless anyway.
RBS, StarrRider and DrDolittle like this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
leroys73 is offline  
 
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I test road one once back in 2011 and the things I didn't like about it were primarly the same difference with riding any kind of trike. My other main issue was the lack of power. I thought it should have a zx14 motor or a hyabusa motor. Now Yamaha has come out with that new 3 wheeled monstrocity I had the opportunity to test ride one at this last bike week but didn't get around to it but I heard a lot of guys walking away saying that once you were on it you couldn't tell that you weren't on a 2 wheeled bike. If Can-An could do somehting like that where the center sectioned leaned as you turned then I might consider giving it another test ride.
That makes me wonder. If you can't tell you are not on 2 wheels, then why not just get a 2 wheeler. All of that added hardware adds complexity and expense. If just for the wow factor, then yeah, I get it, but otherwise ... why?
lofty likes this.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
chuck_VTX F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RGV. Texas, Former N.E. Ohio
Posts: 8,571
Garage
.
I was an AM a canyon carver.... that is me.... grinding the pegs... even a knee...

for me that is a motorcycle.... and the reason I love motorcycles..

even been to Schools.... for very advance riding skills.... to better my skills.. and FUN...

You MAY enjoy a 3 or 4 wheel Fun machine...

I an not trying to convince anyone.. your way or my way.. I love 2 wheels.... that LEAN..
the gov-ment and some companies... called them motorcycles....
even that WIDE machine with side by side seating... and that ODD one with a steering wheel...
aka 3 wheel cars... no top cars..














2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-10-2019 at 05:54 PM.
chuck_VTX F is online now  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Hans&Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Conyers/McDonough, GA
Posts: 10,196
Garage
The Robin, more rollovers than anything else.
There was British auto group that had a great video on one. Many people helped to right the sucker. Comical! There is one at a used car lot in Covington, GA. Static display...


2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-11-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added a video
Hans&Feet is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
A_Ninja_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa/Valrico, FL.
Posts: 488
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
That makes me wonder. If you can't tell you are not on 2 wheels, then why not just get a 2 wheeler. All of that added hardware adds complexity and expense. If just for the wow factor, then yeah, I get it, but otherwise ... why?
I agree to a point it does become more complex and you have the cost of replacing an additional tire and other maintenance items. I look at that Yamaha and say to myself "just because you can doesn't mean you should" As stated I didn't get to ride it so I'm dealing with limited intel. But i imagine that as you come to a stop having the 2 wheels increases stability so someone who might have stability issues as others have stated could benifit from this. The other bennefit that everyone was touting was the increased contact patch in the front. I look at the Yamaha as an experiment that might have greater implications for the future. I'm not saying that the future of motorcycling is 3 wheels. But I see a time where a class of fully articulating 3 wheeled motos like the the Yamaha with different width and stances become available to increase safety, and open doors for people with mobility or stability issues to take up riding.

8,000K HID Head Light Conversion, ISO FlameGrips, Kury Turn Signal Mirrors, Mustang seat W/ Driver Backrest, Paladin Backrest/luggage Rack/Saddlebags.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I agree to a point it does become more complex and you have the cost of replacing an additional tire and other maintenance items. I look at that Yamaha and say to myself "just because you can doesn't mean you should" As stated I didn't get to ride it so I'm dealing with limited intel. But i imagine that as you come to a stop having the 2 wheels increases stability so someone who might have stability issues as others have stated could benifit from this. The other bennefit that everyone was touting was the increased contact patch in the front. I look at the Yamaha as an experiment that might have greater implications for the future. I'm not saying that the future of motorcycling is 3 wheels. But I see a time where a class of fully articulating 3 wheeled motos like the the Yamaha with different width and stances become available to increase safety, and open doors for people with mobility or stability issues to take up riding.
Of course, and I was only commenting on what you overheard, so my intel is indeed even more limited
So to my point, if one can really not tell the difference then why?
I 100% agree that if stability or traction were so substantially increased a place certainly will be found. That said, any enhancement in traction would be offset, in most instances, by increased unsprung weight and rotating mass. IOW the compromise would likely have a negative effect. Of course that is only what I suppose, that level of engineering is well above my pay grade. As with all such things, the Rune had a purpose in proof of concept. I suspect the Niken is at this point much the same. It may find a permanent or long standing home with Yamaha, but I somehow doubt it. Certainly time will tell. I'd be okay with being wrong on that. Variety is, after all, the spice of life, right?


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
chuck_VTX F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RGV. Texas, Former N.E. Ohio
Posts: 8,571
Garage
3 wheel cycle.. 2 in rear.. I wave
3 wheel cycle.. 2 in front, I wave...

any car with a child in the second or third row of a car/suv/truck.. I wave

any carriage pulled by a horse.. I wave...
any carriage pulled by a horse with children.. I wave..
any horse with a rider... I wave.

that is ME...

and YES. I wave at every 2 wheeled motorcycle. and all Bicycle riders...
as I am also a big time bicycle rider... 61 years...
Harkon, DrDolittle and Blaine C like this.



2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
chuck_VTX F is online now  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Of course, and I was only commenting on what you overheard, so my intel is indeed even more limited
So to my point, if one can really not tell the difference then why?
I 100% agree that if stability or traction were so substantially increased a place certainly will be found. That said, any enhancement in traction would be offset, in most instances, by increased unsprung weight and rotating mass.
When folks say "you can't tell the difference", then I'm sure they are commenting on good handling at speed. That's the canyon carving, fun part of riding. And that's NOT where people usually have trouble with a bike and the risk of dropping one. This greatest risk of dropping a bike, for folks who are starting to have issues with balance or leg strength, or what have you, is most likely encountered at very low speeds, where you might be walking your bike backwards in a parking lot, or doing some walking-speed cornering. (Or my own worst case - gravel sliding out from under my foot and tweaking my knee). I've not ridden one, and don't want one... but I'm thinking these are the places and times that YOU CERTAINLY MIGHT tell the difference from having a 3 wheeler, and that difference is probably going to be appreciated.

I definitely agree with your "variety is the spice of life" perspective, because I'm glad the marketplace has choices, even when they aren't what I would personally choose.
A_Ninja_Racer and Harkon like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Last edited by dud-57; 04-12-2019 at 12:13 PM.
dud-57 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome