Back Pain - VTXOA
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Back Pain

I injured the muscles in my lower back this winter. It is a muscle injury that is healing, but hurts a lot when riding. Does anyone have experience or advise to ease the pain. I bought a Velcro back support, but wounder if there is a preferred one or pills, creams, etc. Smooth roads are O.K., but even the slightest bump hurts. I have had an Ultimate seat for three years now. How about adding a gel or air cushion?

Last edited by jackk; 04-20-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

The VTX has a particularly bad posture for this as you are positioned to sit on your tail bone and every shock goes straight up your spine. Limiting shock to the spine will help. That is, a better seat, or seat cushion might help. A more upright riding position, that is, feet under you position takes a lot of pounding off of your spine. My Harley touring rig, for instance puts my weight just a bit forward from the VTX posture, taking an immense pounding off of my spine. Of course really hard hits still drive the message home. A more ADV posture puts your weight even more forward, without putting more weight on your hands an wrists. Of course all of this has you on a different bike.

A buddy if mine, had several back surgeries, was looking for a cruiser, but could not get comfortable. We found a ZX14 with taller coupons and pretty okay looking bags. He is far more comfortable than he ever could have been on a cruiser. He absolutely did not want a big touring bike, and could not find an adventure bike he liked.
rangers4u and steveroy60 like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 PM

You won't know until you try one. AirHawk makes a seat cushion you might look at. Maybe see a masseur/ masseuse regularly? When I was in my 20's, a long time ago, I was tossed out of my car after hitting guardrails. Nothing broken, but muscular trauma lingered for many months. I invested in a Jacuzzi brand bathtub and use it almost daily for all my aches and pains. Pills are to be avoided. Doing yardwork that requires bending and picking up branches really sets the spasms off for a couple days. Getting old sux.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
Getting old sux.
IT SURE AS HELL AINT FOR SISSIES...
BobD, RBS, rangers4u and 1 others like this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
I live in a 55 and over RV park

many motorcyclists... 2 and 3 wheel

the AirHawk is popular here... I have not tried it...

getting OLD.... it takes a BRAVE man to get OLD....

pain, I had 4 back operations on my lower back....

I ride .. no pills. 67 years old.

I am asking Santa for a AirHawk for Christmas this year....
leroys73, rangers4u and frnkcat like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-20-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:07 AM
RBS

Have you spoken to your Dr.? A Muscle relaxer might help.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

I have been to a chiropractor twice and I am much better, but it hurts when I Hit bumps riding my M/C. I am looking for ways to let me ride this summer. I really don't want to set this season out. Thank's for the responses!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Garage
depends.... NO 2 people are the same.
4 crushed disc's... 4 cracked vertebrates , 2 are wired together.
I rode with crutches attached to my goldwing

I rode with a cane attached to my VTX...
when I see a bump coming.. I raise my butt up off the seat..

I broke my back in 1979... still a big deal.. but I still ride..
some days my right leg does not work... but I still ride. Pain or NOT.
other day.. I seen a HD trike.. with a fold-able wheel chair attached to the rear of trike....

HE was alone...

See a Doctor....

as no chiropractor will touch me. FACT.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-21-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackk View Post
I have been to a chiropractor twice and I am much better, but it hurts when I Hit bumps riding my M/C. I am looking for ways to let me ride this summer. I really don't want to set this season out. Thank's for the responses!
I would recommend going to see a Ortho Dr......I’m not a big fan of Chiro’s....the PT that my Ortho recommended has helped...also before I saddle up I take a couple of Bayer back and body...seems to help on a days ride....good luck

PS...Ive heard good things about the salonpas topical patches and Icyhot....
RBS likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 04-21-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Garage
Spinal fusion L5-S1, bulged L4-L5, degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis in much if my spine and all over including my hands, permanent sciatic issues, and I still need my sacro-iliac joint fused next.

First of all, I’m now 5’2” and have lost 2” of height, so I’ve always been short. Leaning forward on a bike kills my lower back. I have a ‘99 Valkyrie Interstate that is super comfy and I made more so by moving the foot pegs down and forward an inch as well as adding handlebar riser extensions. I also have an 1800C. Floor boards on my C made a huge difference as well as Rivco handlebar risers. I have everything to swap my bars with R bars for a better position. I also leave my rear shocks on a softer setting and deal with the sponginess. I will be looking into the Airhawk cushion but I have to worry about adding height being inseam challenged.

The HUGEST improvement on both bikes was a quality backrest. I discovered the Protac Backrest when I had my Intruder. I have one on my Valkyrie, and will probably be adding one to my X. The Protac sits higher than the other backrests and really gives me something to lean on and have good support. The other back rests that sit lower apply pressure to the wrong part of my spine which is always sore. When you call Protac, he will ask you questions such as your height. They are not really adjustable, but remove by simply lifting out of the brackets. The mounts attach to your shocks. And you simply insert the rest into the mounts. The Protac has been my best comfort investment on my bikes and I cannot recommend it enough.

Motrin, or old school aspirin work the best for me to make things tolerable, especially right before a weather change. I take 2 extra strength Tylenol along with 3 Motrin when things are hurting. The two separate drugs work on different pain receptors and give me a broader pain coverage. I am NOT a pharmacist, so my advice is not word, just what works for me over the counter. I was a pharmacy tech while going to school and learned a lot by asking questions. As far as prescription stuff, I won’t take it and ride. I have a huge bottle of 10mg hydrocodone left over from my surgery, and Soma 350 (muscle relaxant). I only use them before bedtime if things are bad. More so, I have found that the hydrocodone doesn’t do as much for me as the muscle relaxant does to relieve my pain. The odds are already stacked against us as it is, so I won’t use the prescription stuff if I’ll be riding. Even the muscle relaxant will leave me groggy in the morning, so I won’t ride if I had to take it. I’m in a busy city, and the cagers here in San Antonio are the worst in the mornings.

Good luck to you. Spinal issues suck. I tell all the young people I see that are busting their butts working or being stupid like I was, to take care of their backs, because it really does come back to haunt you later. I only hope they listen better than I did.

Side note funny- I met one of my Dad’s old customers several years ago. When my brother introduced me to him, the old man said, “You’re Junior? Your daddy used to say he couldn’t tell you sh-t!” It must be genetic, because my youngest son is a 13 year old know it all and I can’t tell him sh-t! I’m sure my Dad is having a laugh right now!

L'Chaim! To Life!

Last edited by Forge; 04-21-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page