Bike Totaled? Teen Drivers - Page 2 - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwinter View Post
Well since I dumped the bike before I ever actually Hit his car. Geico is saying they owe me nothing. They are not paying for the bike to be fixed. I dumped the bike, he did not hit me even though he cut me off.

WTF>>>>>>>>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
Sucks. Big time.

However, did the police come out? Is there a report? Citation to the other driver? That would save the day.
I assume no dashcam?
In that case, it sucks big time.

The teen stopped? Did he openly admit his fault in front of witnesses? That is at least something and is enforceable in the court of law. You could potentially win.

And it looks like Hans is already helping you solve the running problem.

VTX 1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM

Glad you are ok.
Bike thinks the kickstand is always down, kickstand switch.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
Sucks. Big time.

However, did the police come out? Is there a report? Citation to the other driver? That would save the day.
I assume no dashcam?
In that case, it sucks big time.

The teen stopped? Did he openly admit his fault in front of witnesses? That is at least something and is enforceable in the court of law. You could potentially win.

And it looks like Hans is already helping you solve the running problem.
Yes, police were called took down the report, Driver admitted fault on site and was cited for improper signaling. But because when he cut back into the turn and I slammed on my brakes in the middle of the lean in the corner the bike dumped and slid. If he would have stopped I would have hit him but because he keeps diving before he realized I wrecked I slid to where was and did not actually make contact with his car. IE Geico says there was no "collision" therefore they don't have to pay for any damage to the bike itself.

Matthew Winter
VTX1800c 2002
Seattle Wa

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
Sue Geico and the teen. Use the police report as evidence.

Geico will ask to be dismissed from the suit but the Judge does not have to let them out.

I would pay for an hour of lawyer time, it is likely worth it.
rangers4u and dudeman like this.

2004 VTX1300C
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Agree with RScottie, you can always go down the lawsuit lane.
Wait, is Geico your insurance or his? Go after his insurance first.
Or have the teenager pay. If he wants to avoid big lawsuits and a big insurance premium hike, have your lawyer ask for cash and a release of all liability to keep it quiet "for his sake". They often jump on that, for obvious reasons.

I understand the insurance company's view, though. Your vehicle made contact with terrain. No collision involved. They won't admit that dumping the mike might have actually saved you from injury (and 5-digit medical bills) but then again, they're in the business of COLLECTING money, not handing it out. So you gotta find an angle that will make them pay out.

This thread should help (I am sure you're not the first one to go through such hassles) and again, a good lawyer should be able to claim some damages.

Keep us appraised of the progress, please.
rangers4u, DrDolittle and RScottie like this.

VTX 1800C
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Glad you are OK and survived the incident. I agree that it is the KS switch, and that one's an easy check. I also agree with taking the kid to court. Not because you are being a jerk, but because his insurance won't step up and take responsibility for the issue. If there was a police report, it might go in your favor. Did the kid say anything incriminating about missing his turn and braking and turning sharp after he realized he had past his turn? Might be admissible as evidence, if it comes to that. And if any witnesses stopped to help, and you got their contact info, that will go strongly in your favor as well. Good luck.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
bdm

Most important is you are ok that is all that counts bikes can be fixed or replaced
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Glad you’re ok. The bike looks mostly cosmetic. If it were mine I’d fix it.

I too have had a run in with Gieco, big hassle, but worth it in my opinion.

I whole heartedly agree with sitting down with a M/C specific lawyer, like Law Tigers or a company that bows motorcycles.

Again, glad to hear you’re ok.

Joe ( in San Diego)
DrDolittle likes this.

06 1800N
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 PM

I am sorry for your aggravation. Insurance is a for profit business. They will walk whenever they can, or even think they can.

In the end, soooo glad you are okay. The bike looks totally fixable.
DrDolittle likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update

Thank for the support guys.

Geico did an "investigation" and concluded that even though he did not properly signal that he still had "control" of the intersection and that I was following too close. So now the lawyers and report and pictures have to get involved the cop took a picture of where fluid leaked on the ground while the bike was on its side so I really think that evidence will show that I have been in the right at the time.

It's amazing how well adrenaline works. Even sorer today, still nothing was broken so thanking the bikers guardian angel

As for the bike, I got the KS switch fixed and the bike will stay running when put into gear. I have not test ridden as of yet, still too sore.

Anyone know if I can start fixing it myself and get them to pay later(if I win) or do I have to leave it in damage condition till all the insurance and lawyer stuff is figured out?
DrDolittle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page