Bike Totaled? Teen Drivers - Page 3 - VTXOA
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM

From my own experience with a wrecked motorcycle, I had to wait until the insurance appraiser came and took pictures before I could touch mine. My bike was then totaled by the insurance co. they then wanted more money, to allow me to buy it back, than I paid for it originally. They paid me more than enough to upgrade from an 04 1800C to this 07 1800c with quite a few extra mods on it and still have some cash left over. Glad you were not severely hurt, but I do know the feeling when you lose your pride and joy. I'm hoping you have a great outcome from this tragedy of an accident. Keep us informed, and get well my friend.
DrDolittle likes this.

04 1800 C.....Candy Orange Flame....R.I.P.
07 1800 C.....Well that's what the title said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Since the insurance company has denied the claim, I would go ahead and start working on it, keep all receipts and use them in your lawsuit.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:27 PM

I would hold off till an adjuster comes out, be it the lawyer or the insurance. Document everything. Cost of part, shipping, time, labor if you use a shop. Photos be fore during and after. It helped a friend of mine with his rebuild. He was able to keep his cycle, fix it and pick up a newer ride. He got luckish though.

06 1800N

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Glad you're OK.

Bike state is not that bad actually. Seems like the frame is intact. Forks and engine frame look untouched. I've read crash reports where they had same issue as yours and it was the kickstand switch. I think the other fellas in this thread may be onto something.

Bit off topic but the damage you took on the rear is why I also ride with rear crash guards. Look great on R/S models (not so sure on C models) and they protect the bike mid-frame and back in case of a slide. They're also cheap.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 AM

You can take a legal approach but virtually always the following vehicle is found at fault due to not maintaining a safe distance. As long as there is no malicious intent from the vehicle in front they should be able to do anything without endangering a vehicle behind. If someone is in a turn and a pedestrian steps into the crosswalk and the vehicle stops abruptly for the pedestrian (as it must) if that causes a crisis for the vehicle following then they were too close. Making a sharp turn is not an offense, making a turn without signaling is, but that is not a valid defense to protect the trailing vehicle. If someone doesn't signal a turn but brakes quickly and the trailing vehicle collides, the front vehicle will be cited for failure to signal and the trailing vehicle will be cited for not maintaining an appropriate distance.
chuck_VTX F and rangers4u like this.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro View Post
You can take a legal approach but virtually always the following vehicle is found at fault due to not maintaining a safe distance. As long as there is no malicious intent from the vehicle in front they should be able to do anything without endangering a vehicle behind. If someone is in a turn and a pedestrian steps into the crosswalk and the vehicle stops abruptly for the pedestrian (as it must) if that causes a crisis for the vehicle following then they were too close. Making a sharp turn is not an offense, making a turn without signaling is, but that is not a valid defense to protect the trailing vehicle. If someone doesn't signal a turn but brakes quickly and the trailing vehicle collides, the front vehicle will be cited for failure to signal and the trailing vehicle will be cited for not maintaining an appropriate distance.

that is how I see it also... Rider Error. way to near car.

never put a bike down.... your fault for that..
my opinion.
MSF, advanced class, 3 times over 15 years.
Superbike School 3 day program.

hope you and the bike recover.
10Ring likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
never put a bike down.... your fault for that..
That's how the insurance sees it. You "voluntarily" put your bike down? Nobody hit you? Then they rule it's nobody else's fault but your own. *shrug*

There are different schools of thought on avoiding a collision.
- MSF teaches not to dump the bike and keep traction for braking until the collision to minimize energy
- British moto police teaches to dump the bike since it is heavier and will slide to its death while the rider should slow down faster

I'd like to see some demos of both in different situations. Anybody got a cool educational video we all could learn from?
(I am always up for learning)

VTX 1800C
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:09 PM

totalled? there are like 4 scratches man. fix her up!, C parts are dirt cheap except for the front fender.

Alas, this is my bike atm, teen driver as well.

are we ok? check

got some dollars from the accident? check

rebuild/buy away!

PS my Sena 20s is still somewhere in the street along with my helmet parts. that 33ft flight felt great, almost landed well too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_163032.jpg (375.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_163011.jpg (318.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_163041.jpg (287.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_163019_01.jpg (342.4 KB, 18 views)
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daironpower View Post
Alas, this is my bike atm, teen driver as well.
OUCH!
Glad you're in one piece. Literally.

Teen driver again. *sigh* Was she texting? Or just plain dumb-f*** stupid?

IMHO, if the police stopped giving out candy (monetary fines) and started handing out criminal charges for attempted vehicular manslaughter, idiots would start paying MUCH more attention. No repercussions means no motivation.
If you hit a LEO with your car or bike, it is automatically classified as assault with a deadly weapon. WhyTF do we limit it only to LEOs? Non-blue lives matter. *shrug*

VTX 1800C

Last edited by Lou_VTX; 05-03-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mt best drawing of what happened. Lol

Not sure i agree with the following to closely. But then my opinion not gonna matter in the end, facts and a jury will decide. I did however find a partial witness that hear the crash, and then saw the driver on the wrong side of the road, and speeding. So it might help my case might not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190502_082624_01.jpg (124.5 KB, 31 views)

Matthew Winter
VTX1800c 2002
Seattle Wa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page