Building a "touring" (comfortable) seat.... looking for and sharing info? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM
bdm

I have Ultimate seats front and back on my VTX 1300 love them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Zym! Nice write up of your mods!
Re seat: Did you cup under the sit bones or just dish the whole seat out a bit? Curious on what you trimmed?

Thanks again!

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/stock air box - Power Commander III =
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM
Zym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri720a View Post
Thanks Zym! Nice write up of your mods!
Re seat: Did you cup under the sit bones or just dish the whole seat out a bit? Curious on what you trimmed?

Thanks again!
Seems like a little sculpting off the back where it rises (electric knife) and shallowed it out a bit (disc sander). I didn't remove more than one inch anywhere. I referred to an old post on this site and used that for a guide but I couldn't tell you now who posted it. All I know is what little material I took off the foam at the right places made a big difference!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'03 VTX 1800 Retro, Metallic Silver!
My mods at:
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83816

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Zym. That is helpful.

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/stock air box - Power Commander III =
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM
JPT

Garage
Did you buy a used factory seat to do your modding to? I'm sure you can find one for $50 range, it will allow you to take your time and still be able to ride. Then you can sell yours to recoup the cost.

2009 VTX1300R
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
JPT. That is a good idea. Thought about buying one but honestly didn't think about selling mine later. I might have to do that!

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
JPT. That is a good idea. Thought about buying one but honestly didn't think about selling mine later. I might have to do that!
If you are going to do the build, essentially you just need the pan, so you can buy one that is in not so good shape to save money. You will have to recover the seat anyways, so you can buy one with cuts...

Then when you sell yours, as long as you sell if for more than the beat up seat, you come out ahead.

2009 VTX1300R
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update - Seat Mod

Thanks to Xerothermic for spurring me to give an update. The seat is not complete yet but close. When its done I will post some pictures.

Back in June I started modifying my seat. I purchased a stock spare while I am working on this one.
Cut out the foam and made a temporary cover with some "clearance special" outdoor fabric. I took the cover on and off multiple times to get the seat dialed in. I have new material to make a cover. It is extremely functional and cooler than the stock vinyl. I have done a 1000 mile day and only stopped because I was back home, my rear was not sore or uncomfortable at all. I have plans for 2500 miles in two days coming up and have NO worries about seat comfort. Here are a few pics of the first part.

I am not totally done with it yet but it is 90% complete. I ended up taking all of the foam out of the center of the seat. I left the edges so that I had the basic structure still there. I then I did one layer of firm and 2 layers of medium Sunmate foam. On top of that I put a layer of pudgee. https://www.sunmatecushions.com/ (look at the clearance items, its how I bought mine)
It took a lot of cutting trimming and shaping and re trying and more trimming, shaping etc. But I am very happy with the comfort of the seat overall. I still have to make an actual cover. At the moment I have a piece of the fabric I am going to use stapled on but it is not "fitted" yet. I am using a 3d spacer mesh. It is a very durable mesh fabric. Under that I have a layer of waterproof mattress cover fabric. It is a stretchy waterproof fabric (think baby crib mattress cover). This layer may change to vinyl depending on how it looks durability wise when I make the final cover. By that time I will have been using it for a few months and over 5000 miles. I will also be using a 1/4 foam for smoothing between the seat foam and the cover. Overall it is a medium difficulty project. Cost wise I probably have $150-175 in it right now and a LOT of hours.
Suggestions: When cutting the foam make it a lot bigger then you think and trim it to fit once it is in place. I had to do a bunch of infill because I cut it to small.
Personally I would go this route again, although it obviously is not for everyone to tackle. I have not done the passenger seat yet but that should be a lot easier. I ended up buying a second seat and used that to cut up etc. I am keeping my original seat just in case I need it in the future.
If you are someone who likes to figure out puzzles and make things this is a great and very doable project, if not finding a used ultimate, mustang etc would put you in the same ball park cost wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_210451.jpg (257.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190602_115059.jpg (580.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_210453.jpg (257.8 KB, 3 views)
DrDolittle likes this.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Xerothermic for spurring me to give an update. The seat is not complete yet but close. When its done I will post some pictures.

Back in June I started modifying my seat. I purchased a stock spare while I am working on this one.
Cut out the foam and made a temporary cover with some "clearance special" outdoor fabric. I took the cover on and off multiple times to get the seat dialed in. I have new material to make a cover. It is extremely functional and cooler than the stock vinyl. I have done a 1000 mile day and only stopped because I was back home, my rear was not sore or uncomfortable at all. I have plans for 2500 miles in two days coming up and have NO worries about seat comfort. Here are a few pics of the first part.

I am not totally done with it yet but it is 90% complete. I ended up taking all of the foam out of the center of the seat. I left the edges so that I had the basic structure still there. I then I did one layer of firm and 2 layers of medium Sunmate foam. On top of that I put a layer of pudgee. https://www.sunmatecushions.com/ (look at the clearance items, its how I bought mine)
It took a lot of cutting trimming and shaping and re trying and more trimming, shaping etc. But I am very happy with the comfort of the seat overall. I still have to make an actual cover. At the moment I have a piece of the fabric I am going to use stapled on but it is not "fitted" yet. I am using a 3d spacer mesh. It is a very durable mesh fabric. Under that I have a layer of waterproof mattress cover fabric. It is a stretchy waterproof fabric (think baby crib mattress cover). This layer may change to vinyl depending on how it looks durability wise when I make the final cover. By that time I will have been using it for a few months and over 5000 miles. I will also be using a 1/4 foam for smoothing between the seat foam and the cover. Overall it is a medium difficulty project. Cost wise I probably have $150-175 in it right now and a LOT of hours.
Suggestions: When cutting the foam make it a lot bigger then you think and trim it to fit once it is in place. I had to do a bunch of infill because I cut it to small.
Personally I would go this route again, although it obviously is not for everyone to tackle. I have not done the passenger seat yet but that should be a lot easier. I ended up buying a second seat and used that to cut up etc. I am keeping my original seat just in case I need it in the future.
If you are someone who likes to figure out puzzles and make things this is a great and very doable project, if not finding a used ultimate, mustang etc would put you in the same ball park cost wise.
Can you show pictures of the built up foam. The pictures just look like hogged out OEM foam - am I missing something?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
sring - I will post some more pictures when I take the cover off again to actually "fit" the cover. Unfortunately I dont have pictures of the foam at the moment. But I wanted to give an interim update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page