Building a "touring" (comfortable) seat.... looking for and sharing info? - VTXOA
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Building a "touring" (comfortable) seat.... looking for and sharing info?

I have been doing a ton of research and reading about building a seat for my 03 1800R. I am looking at turning my stock into a more comfortable seat.
The stock seat is not horrible but after 5-6 hours it really starts getting uncomfortable, I am looking to do long days on the seat. My bars, backrest etc are set up well for comfort. Comfort wise what is left is really down to my rear end....

Yes I could buy / have my seat redone etc. But honestly I take a lot of pride in making things I use and I like the research and solving the puzzle so to speak. If it doesn't work out I will purchase so I'm not to concerned. About "ruining" my seat.

All of that being said.

Does anyone have any good info to pass on?? Done it before? Links for seat builds on other sites etc. I have gathered a lot of info already but I know where are some extreamly smart and experienced people here so any input would be appreciated.

A lot of information I have found on foam and layering has come from airplane kit building. A lot of those guys build their own seats and 4-6 hour streaches of sitting are common.

Seems like not many people share / try motorcycle touring seat build info. So any expertise you may have is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/decapped stock air box - Power Commander III, Rostra Cruise =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Having an upholstery shop re-do a stock seat isn't expensive compared to buying an aftermarket seat like my Ultimate. BTW mine was a Christmas gift, I didn't buy it. Unless you have the skills, and the source for different degrees of foam padding and or gel pads, I wouldn't attempt it, but if you're game, have at it. Good luck.
06VTXRJim and Xerothermic like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
Thumbs up

I read his build log he has a good info. on his seat build .

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1...uild-page.html

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Maybe try better shocks if your fine with the seat for 6 hours. If you've never replaced the shocks, they are worn out after 15 years. This will not only make the ride smoother/softer but give you better handling as well
rangers4u likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:19 PM
JPT

Garage
I found a local shop and brought them my seat. After discussing it with them, they pointed out that I would be better buying the Ultimate seat. They said it would take them an hour minimum ($100 per hour) to disassemble the factory seat, just to make a plan for how to address the seat. Then there would be test fitting to make sure Iím happy, then a custom vinyl cover (at least an hour or two).

You will find that local shops (unless you live where labor is cheap) are pricy for 1 offs. But they are perfect if you want to simply recover your seat with high priced material. This is because they remove the cover and use the current cover as a template to cut the custom material. You would find you may pay couple hours of labor and the costs of the material you want.

if you are a DIY guy, you may find out that the amount of material you have to buy in order to make a single seat, once again would end up costing you more than buying an Ultimate/Mustang. These companies buy materials in bulk, so the production costs per seat is much cheaper than building a single seat.

If you donít care about cost, and it is for the love of doing it yourself, I get it, we all spend more than the value of our bikes on mods. I bought my bike for $4k and spent about $3K on it over the past 9 months. Wish I could offer some help, all I can do is warn you about the costs, so you can make an educate decision on the route you wish to take.
DrDolittle likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Zym

Though, not actually a "touring seat", I modded my stock seat to fit my "profile" better with good success. And still using it. Although with the tank range being what it is, I rarely go too long at any one time in the saddle.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/61-main...mod-log-3.html
DrDolittle likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'03 VTX 1800 Retro, Metallic Silver!
My mods at:
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83816

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 AM

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zym View Post
Though, not actually a "touring seat", I modded my stock seat to fit my "profile" better with good success. And still using it. Although with the tank range being what it is, I rarely go too long at any one time in the saddle.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/61-main...mod-log-3.html
The lightbar alternative....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Buy anUltimate seat. My 2 cents.
rangers4u and wayne like this.

2003 VTX1300S
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Old Goat

I think the ultimate looks like it belongs on a John Deere tractor...but I wouldnít take nuttin (except maybe a newer one ) for mine....good luck OP....
rangers4u likes this.

Phil...(72)ĒNobody told me I die at the endĒ
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info so far!

I read the entire thread on Randy's build. Some great info on there..... similar to my feelings with mods etc. Would rather do it myself and lear something new 🙂

Really excited to begin. Thinking it will be a few more weeks before I start pulling staples on my stock seat. Going to order some materials. I will document as I work through the project so I can post it all.

2003 VTX 1800R - Cobra Speedster Longs - K&N w/decapped stock air box - Power Commander III, Rostra Cruise =

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page