Arlen Ness Air Filter - Page 2 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
The oil is still there, it's not going anywhere. Just the die that makes that oil red is losing it's color with the dirt it is catching. Don't worry about what color it is, just clean and re-oil once a year. Unless you ride through a monsoon rainfall then you can re-oil it. Too much oil is BAD

PS..... that picture you have the filter isn't white at all. It's dirty gray as it should be. Every single K&N I have in my cars and trucks and bikes all are that color after a year of use.
Thanks.

It is the lighting, it is actually white. When in the daylight, there isn't any hint of grayness.

I chatted with K&N, and they offered to replace the filter. Once I gave them the part number they told me that Arlen Ness has to request it, so I have passed that on to them.

They also suggested using a different recharging kit instead of the K&N kit. They said to use AIRAID 790-551 as the filter material is different and the K&N oil may not be sticking as well to the material.
RBS and VTXArizona like this.

2009 VTX1300R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
Thanks.

It is the lighting, it is actually white. When in the daylight, there isn't any hint of grayness.

I chatted with K&N, and they offered to replace the filter. Once I gave them the part number they told me that Arlen Ness has to request it, so I have passed that on to them.

They also suggested using a different recharging kit instead of the K&N kit. They said to use AIRAID 790-551 as the filter material is different and the K&N oil may not be sticking as well to the material.
BTW, here's what my "dirty" filter looked like today, it has 3,486 miles on it. Next time i'll wait until 5,000 to even look at it.

I'd be interested in what you guys are doing, how many miles do you typically put a recharged filter in??? I know it varies based on a lot of stuff, but what's your average interval miles changing it???

I researched for about hour on the forum and internet and came up with a range of 3,000 mi - up to 100,000 miles lol. Harley site couple guys range was 3,000 mi to 10,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190529_120211.jpg (536.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190529_120205.jpg (485.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190529_120233.jpg (514.8 KB, 5 views)

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:49 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Once a year as per K&N. Or, if the dirt covers the wire mess, again as per K&N. 15,000 miles, 20,000 miles a year on my cars get changed once a year

https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
VTXArizona likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Pictures of what dirty is to K&N...
https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning-pics.htm

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page