Fast and Cheap Mod to Improve Riding Comfort via Seat Mod - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Fast and Cheap Mod to Improve Riding Comfort via Seat Mod

I had the idea to test securing thick rubber strips on the underbelly of the seat for added comfort. Thickness of the rubber is about .7 cms or 1/3 inch. The strips are secured on the areas of the seat pan that contact the fender. I didn't line the whole length of the seat pan, only major contact points.

Result? Hard bumps can't tell an improvement. Small to mid-level bumps are noticeably-less noticeable.

The difference is small but noticeable enough to consider it a viable mod. Makes for a tad bit easier gliding over the smaller bumps. I've had this mod for 3 weeks now so enough time to tell if it works or not.

Cheap mod worth testing if you want added comfort. It costed me the equivalent of 2 US dollars including gas to go to the store and back. Installation time about 10 mins including removing seat and putting back on.

Hope this is of use to you.
steveroy60 and DrDolittle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM

Would'nt that make the seat bolts very hard to line up to bolt the seat on? With adjustable shocks, it seems to me that would be the way to go to soften the ride.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
Would'nt that make the seat bolts very hard to line up to bolt the seat on? With adjustable shocks, it seems to me that would be the way to go to soften the ride.
I'm using an aftermarket seat that has 2 securing points (front tongue slip & rear bolt) vs 4 for the stock seat. If anything, this mod has made the seat fit more snug and secured. The aftermarket seat I use fits really well but the added rubber strips have made it fit even better. The stock bolt for the rear tongue goes in fine just as with the stock seat.

I would not see a problem with the stock seat despite the 4 mount points (inc. rear seat).

I also go canyon carving with my bike and the seat feels more secured when leaning thru hard corners. The rubber strips add extra traction to the seat against the rear fender which is a good thing considering the 2 mount points of most (if not) all aftermarket seats. There's no see-sawing from the seat whatsoever. It's solid.

Yes, suspension is PART of softening a ride (other parts: seat plushness & tires). I use 444 Progressives with longer shock travel so my ride is already very plush. Still, the rubber strips' cushioning was barely noticeable, but enough to consider it as a cheap mod.

BTW the rubber strips I used are for industrial use. Heavy duty and dense, yet pliable. I may line the whole seat underbelly next time I take the seat off.
DrDolittle likes this.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

One more thing: using this mod will protect the paint of your rear fender where the seat makes the heaviest contact (e.g. front of rear fender or midway where passenger sits). Lining the whole underbelly would be even better to protect the paint.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM

So it's a Saddlemen touring seat Mod for the VTX 1300R.

Any Mod that makes any part of the bike perform better is a good thing.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So it's a Saddlemen touring seat Mod for the VTX 1300R.

Any Mod that makes any part of the bike perform better is a good thing.
Actually, I'm confident this mod would work on the rest of aftermarket seats and on the stock seat too. You're just adding a rubber layer in sections to the underbelly.

I checked my stock seat which I keep in a sealed box and this mod would be the first thing I'd do to the seat before putting it back on. Plenty of areas to slap the rubber strips to.

The stock seat even comes with big rubber blocks/grommets which tend to get twisted and squashed so they loose their cushioning too. The rubber strips I'm talking about are made of a much denser rubber and it only takes 1/3 inch of thickness for them to provide the mentioned cushioning benefit.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
Actually, I'm confident this mod would work on the rest of aftermarket seats and on the stock seat too. You're just adding a rubber layer in sections to the underbelly.

I checked my stock seat which I keep in a sealed box and this mod would be the first thing I'd do to the seat before putting it back on. Plenty of areas to slap the rubber strips to.

The stock seat even comes with big rubber blocks/grommets which tend to get twisted and squashed so they loose their cushioning too. The rubber strips I'm talking about are made of a much denser rubber and it only takes 1/3 inch of thickness for them to provide the mentioned cushioning benefit.
My Mustang seat is a PITA to get the bolts to line up when re-installing. I have to "Slap" and "shove" it around to get the bolts to line up, NOT wanting to stick anything in the hole (like a screwdriver) to line them up for fear of ruining the threads. 1/3 inch is a universe away to me in terms of getting the holes to line up.
So i wont be trying the MOD myself on my seat. Maybe my seat is out of spec a bit, who knows. YMMV.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 AM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
Quote:
My Mustang seat is a PITA to get the bolts to line up when re-installing. I have to "Slap" and "shove" it around to get the bolts to line up, NOT wanting to stick anything in the hole (like a screwdriver) to line them up for fear of ruining the threads. 1/3 inch is a universe away to me in terms of getting the holes to line up.
So i wont be trying the MOD myself on my seat. Maybe my seat is out of spec a bit, who knows. YMMV.
I have done this on my Shirley, great mod much easier for getting the seat on and off

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/diy.../seat-pin-mod/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavey Dave View Post
I have done this on my Shirley, great mod much easier for getting the seat on and off

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/diy.../seat-pin-mod/
Had thought about that Mod but i plan on selling my mustang seat separately when the bike gets sold, kept the stock seat. Remembering the $511 i got on ebay when i did that with my last bike.

otherwise its a great mod that makes a lot of sense.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My Saddlemen seat fits even more snug with the rubber strips and the seat already fit snug without the added rubber strips too. Far as I remember the Mustang seat has plenty of even areas on the underbelly that'd take the rubber strips plentifully. I also don't remember the Mustang seat being so hard to fit as you mention. But that's aftermarket/non-OEM issues (inconsistency in replacement parts).

I really did not feel the added 1/3 in" from the rubber strips when fitting the seat back on. Bear in mind a key part of this mod is to lay the rubber strips at the front of the rear fender (where the driver's lower back rests against) which is what's probably leading to the enhanced cushioning with mild bumps. Adding rubber strips on this area doesn't affect the prominence of the seat as, say, laying the rubber strips across the perimeter of the seat near the bolt mounts.

Muntangs are good seats indeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page