Memory Lane: How did you get in to riding motorcycles? - Page 3 - VTXOA
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Adopted at 10 and dad had a Honda Trail 90 he used to ride around the ranch and feed lot Let me ride and saw it was my thing and got me a Yamaha Motocross bike and put me to racing which lasted 11 years. Had a Honda 160 at 11 and at 13 moved up to a Honda 305 Super Hawk, what a cool bike. Moved to a CB350 for High School and then a CB750 still racing but with Suzuki. Then was next to an accident (the guy got ran over) in my MGB and went home and sold all street bikes keeping my two dirt bikes. Also rode some of the 3 cylinder Kaw's, they were dangerous and I know why the 750 was called the widow maker, hard to keep the front wheel on the ground! Quit for 20 some years. Got back in when I bought my VTX 1800C. Still have but the wife finally decided to go for a ride and she was hooked, so I bought a Goldwing for her comfort. Loved it all and will alway keep my X and will always have a Wing. Still have the dirt bike, but don't ride it any more. As the old ad states, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda!"
RScottie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Garage
I grew up in a household being told I couldn't have a mini-bike or motorcycle as my Dad had broken his leg while riding my brothers mini-bike when I was 3 or 4. But, I had an uncle with 600 acres and an 125cc Honda trail bike (no idea what model) that I visited when I was 16. That was it, I was hooked!!!

My my first bike when I was 21, 1983 Kawasaki 550LTD and ended up riding it home in a snowstorm (Michigan weather). I still have that bike today, but it needs lots of TLC at this point. But I rode it often for the first 20 years that I've owned it. Had some years off of two wheels between life, work and kids. Picked up a 2003 1800C (Thumper) in the fall of 2017. Man, what difference between the two!! Picked up a 2001 Honda Shadow 600 for the Mrs a month later as she has said she was through being a passenger. Last summer I picked up a 2005 1300S (Scarlett) for the Mrs, but we both enjoy it and seem to take turns taking it out.

Retirement is on the horizon and we plan to see the much of the USA and Canada as we can while on our Xs.
Cobra55, frnkcat and RScottie like this.

2003 1800c "Thumper" Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Power Commander III
2005 1300s "Scarlett"
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
As a kid my bicycle was a central part of my life..... It took me to school.... to baseball practice.... and anywhere else in town I wanted to go.... We would spend hours making jumps and cruising around the neighborhood....

Then one year my mom, with a great deal of prompting from me, bought me a Yamaha Mini Enduro for my birthday.... Some of my buddies had bikes too and from that point I hooked on anything on two wheels.

I now have 6 bikes... the pedal kind... and about 12 years ago a friend was selling his 1988 Honda Hawk 650GT and he gave me a great deal on it.... It now has 56,000 miles on it and still running strong.

I picked up my 2002 VTX 1800 about two months ago so I can do a tour in 2021 for my sabbatical.... It's been a great ride so far....

So now my garage is full of two wheeled toys....
RScottie likes this.

ColoradoChris
2003 VTX 1800S
F Style wheels, Vance and Hines Pipes

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 PM

A neighbor left a Montgomery Ward Riverside Vespa Moped at the farm when I was about 8 yr old. All of us 6 kids rode it but I probably rode it the most. It hooked me. When our kids were little I had a 360 Yamaha 4 stroke street bike and didn't hardly ride it so sold it. 21 years later I bought the 2002 1800 VTX R-S and that got me back to motorcycles in a big way! I attached a picture of a Vespa Moped, which was the model I started out with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959-Motobecane-AV88-Wards-Riverside.jpg (62.7 KB, 5 views)
RScottie likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 PM

A cousin had a late forty's or early fifty's Allstate scooter in the late fifty's. one ride and I got hooked. I got used up and nearly dead one of my own in'58. My dad used it to teach me about Engines and repairs by not spending money on parts. I had to find or make whatever I needed to keep it going. Still doing my own repairs 60 years later.
RScottie likes this.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM

As for my story, living in Montana as a youngster, we always had a ski boat for summer and snowmobiles in the winter, so motorcycles were never a consideration.

Now in Oregon and at age 58, my motorcycle story begins.

An older friend of mind had 5 bikes in his garage that were just sitting for 20 or so years, one of which was a super clean 85 Shadow VT 1100 with only 4700 miles on it. I didn't pay much attention to the bikes until last year. I asked Norm why he hasn't rode for such a long time and he said he crashed once and it hurt. Sadly Norman got cancer and passed.

I thought why not? so I got a wild hair and purchased the Shadow from the estate and got it in running condition, cleaned the carbs, fuel tank brakes, etc The bike runs like brand new.

So last summer my first bike was that 1100 Shadow which I learned to ride on. I got my endorsement, took some classes, and spent HOURS on the parking lot learning. I have since sold that bike and picked up my VTX. I forgot how much I enjoyed the wind in my face and and I'm having a blast. 😎👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180803_085805.jpg (262.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vtx.jpg (248.7 KB, 5 views)
RScottie likes this.

Best always
10Ring
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:33 PM
bdm

Mini Bike first one when i was old enough to walk then so many motor cycles i can't remember them all LOL i will be 69 in November
RScottie likes this.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 PM

I always imagined having a big motorcycle ever since I was big enough to ride a bicycle. Growing up in the 60's, big Harley cruisers was about the only truly big bikes we ever saw, I guess that's why I admired them so much. My older brother got the first motorcycle in the family - an old Honda 150 he got from a friend at school. It looked like a smaller version of the 305 dream with the same enclosed chain, and square headlight housing - a CA90 or 95 I think. When I was in probably the 6th or 7th grade, a neighbor bought a 59' Lambretta 150 scooter. It was a 3 speed that shifted by rolling the left handlebar grip when the clutch was pulled in. At the time, it seemed to me that scooter would haul butt, but of course, in 1967 I was fairly easily impressed. Once he got it running, all of us neighborhood kids that were big enough got to ride it. Later on my older brother sold his 150 and dad helped him buy a 1966 black bomber which I got to ride once in a while. Once I was old enough to get an after school job I bought my own bike, a slightly used Honda 175, then later I bought an early model like 69' or 70' CB750 from my brother, which was what he had then. Then in April 1976 I bought a brand new red 76' Goldwing. With the exception of a few years, I've usually had some kind of motorcycle ever since. When my own kids were growing up we had dirt bikes and my oldest son had a 110 3-wheeler. Since they've been gone, I've had a 82 CB450, and I had a 83' Yamaha Venture for 20 something years, and now the VTX that I got in 2013. When I had the Venture my wife would ride with me all the time and we both say that the Venture had the most comfortable stock seat that we ever had. In the early 2000's we went to Las Vegas BikeFest on it the first few times they had that event. The VTX is the most reliable, trouble free bike we ever had, and the most fun to ride especially riding by myself which these days is 95% of the time since my wife doesn't want to ride very often nowdays.
RScottie likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM

like others, I have wanted to cruise since bicycle days. I remember watching bikes go by and being like....wow. College room mate had a honda hawk 400? I think. Rode it some and there I went. I remember when the cruisers started coming out...oooo. Got a shadow 1100 in 88? Put about 45k on it. Smokies to Rockies. I got away from riding when the kids came, tho. Just would rather go play with him.... then them. Sold that shadow.

Then when kid 1 got about 16 he asked for a bike. Mom said, let's all get one. so, vtx 1300. Had to make my younger go ride. 1st trip he went from a death grip on my back to singing. This is sooo cool. It sounds neat when I sing in my helmet. Then we went all over. Mom and older son did a MSF course. He took off after he got used to being in traffic in the car. He has stolen the 750 shadow his mom bought. Has had it for a couple of years. The wife never got comfortable on it. Back and shoulder issues didn't help. She just did the MSF course again on a spyder and loved it. No telling what our next chapter is. The younger kid isn't sure about his own yet...15, but still likes going with me. A couple of hammocks on an overnighter is cool.
RScottie likes this.

Your mileage may vary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page