Memory Lane: How did you get in to riding motorcycles? - VTXOA
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Memory Lane: How did you get in to riding motorcycles?

I talk to a lot of riders and inevitably we end up on memory lane and talk about how old we were when we first started riding along with memorable motorcycles we have had or ridden.

I am curious what brings a smile to your face when you recall your riding history.

I will post mine shortly.

2004 VTX1300C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I grew up with motorcycles due to my grandpa and my older brother. Grandpa purchased a Honda Z50 for my brother when I was only a couple of years old. I am not sure of the year but it was blue and had no shocks on the rear. I think it was about a 1970 model but cannot be sure.

After watching my brother and sister ride it for a few years, at five I decided I wanted to give it a whirl. My brother had already advanced to a Honda XR75 so he was more than willing to give up the Z50 to me and my sister.

When I first started riding, I could not even reach the ground. I had to lean it against a post or something sturdy.

But I rode the dog out of that little Z50. I rode it so much my dad got another Z50 for my sister.

Eventually I outgrew the Z50 and began riding the XR75. It had a clutch and lots of power.

By the time I got to Jr. High, my grandpa had asked me if I wanted to let him give the Z50's to my cousins and he would get me a CR80 Elsinore. I jumped on that even with the knowledge that I would have to share it some with my sister and brother. They were both older and did not ride nearly as much as I did so that was not a big deal.

I rode a whole lot at my grandpa's ponds near Augusta Georgia. He had ponds that people paid to fish in. His 200+ acre farm was perfect for riding and I loved going every summer. I had great places to ride in Kentucky to. I lived right next to some old strip mines and they had endless trails to ride and hills to climb.

Eventually I got rid of my dirtbikes and got my first street bike. It was a 1980 Suzuki GN400. It was an awesome single cylinder bike with lots of torque for fun on the back roads. I miss that bike!

I sold that bike when I went in to the Air Force and then when I was totally out of training and living on base, I purchased a 1985 Honda Magna 700. That was an awesome ride. I still have it but it needs work. A family of mice got in to it and ate the wiring harness in multiple places. I hope to restore it someday.

I now ride my VTX1300c. I really love this bike. It is perfect for me at this time.

The only thing I might want more would be a new Goldwing!

2004 VTX1300C
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
50 years of riding...

all over this USA... and a bit of Canada..

9 Honda's.. ...

never missed a summer.. of riding
Harkon, Curt E, steveroy60 and 2 others like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
OH boy, get the Delorian out we are going to do some time traveling!!! LOL
Loved bikes as I grew up, but never had one (poor).
1963 turned 18 and local Harley dealer had an almost new 63 sportster for sale that was perfect.
About $900 and I had the money!!.. Apparently the story was, guy bought it in San Francisco and drove to San Bernardino, traded for larger ride. Had hot Cams and some carb work?? It was fast as heck!!
Well there ya go... Blast down the road and who knew Brake & Shifter were on wrong sides..... Reverse from everything else I had ridden.. Slid into first red light cus I couldnt get it stopped.... Almost died within view of dealer!!!
The beginning of a love/hate relationship that has lasted some 55 years.........
Almost continuously owned a personal bike..

10 years on Police Harley through the 70's.
First cop bike was a kicker ( 58 ).. lol
low man gets the oldest bike......

Been down 3 times, one time on COP bike in a Pursuit (only counts if I get hurt)...
Couple cracked ribs, couple broken bones (foot, hand) some major bruises, major road rash and back pain that turned into my Medical Retirement..
Still love that torque, power and feeling of freedom..............

skipt, chuck_VTX F, Harkon and 4 others like this.

Last edited by frnkcat; 06-20-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Garage
My cousin had a Cushman scooter and rode me at 6 & 7 yrs. old. I was hooked..
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
How did you get in to riding motorcycles?
I was born as a boy, with a penis.

Isn't that a sufficient trigger for most boys?? *shrug*

I will let my old sonogram speak for itself:

VTX 1800C
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:40 PM

Started riding when I was around 14. Running the streets, no driver license or insurance. I did have a license plate. This is my first power bike.

Harkon, Curt E, DrDolittle and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM
bdm

Grew up on them my dad and uncle Indians took me on the back all the time had a mini bike at 4 or 5 then dirt bikes loved the Honda Trail 90s had a few of them remember riding them in deep water put that extra piece of chain on with the sprocket inset bike with climb anything of course bigger bikes right up until now got to say love the Honda VTX and this forum with all the good people always helping with information about the X
DrDolittle and RScottie like this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Location: I live in the UK in South Yorkshire in a town called Rotherham
4 things got me hooked.
1/ a mate of my dads once came to the house with a gold triumph with a bucket fairing. I spent the whole time my dads' friend was with him just ogling that bike. cant have been older than 7
2/ going to a local motor show now adolescent and seeing two angels on big choppers hoofing it up the road (I nearly had my first orgasm.)
3/ riding field bikes with friends from school
4/ Next door neighbour, a couple of years older than me and another couple of older kids in my street all had bikes and they would tear up the road, I don't think any of them had owt bigger than a 250 but at 15/16 you don't even think about size,all bikes are cool. at 19 I had the chance to own my first bike and I jumped at that chance and never looked back.
DrDolittle and RScottie like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM

I got a Y Zinger for christmas when I was four. Was racing that summer.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
RScottie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page