Crashbar/highway bar recommendations - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Crashbar/highway bar recommendations

I'm thinking I would like to have some highway pegs and need some input from those who've shopped these items before.

I do have the 2" forward extensions on my pegs/controls, which I know will likely need to come off with these options. That's fine, though, given I'll be able to stretch my legs on the highway pegs.

I'm looking to fit these on my 2007 VTX1800F. I've got a 36" inseam (6'5" tall).
My requirement is that I will not accept decreasing my lean angle. While I know how to hang off the bike when necessary to corner during limited lean, I do enjoy scraping my pegs and leaning the bike. Many of the engine guards / highway bars I've seen look like they stick out WAY too far and would hit before my pegs. That's not appealing to me.

The pic that I saw recently of another 1800F with crash bars said they were "Show Chrome highway bars", with no part number. I can't seem to find these on the internet. What I have found that look similar are these by Baron Customs - https://www.denniskirk.com/baron-cus...prd/497383.sku

I do suppose another route is just using mounts (https://www.partsgiant.com/p337846-k...iABEgJo4fD_BwE), but that's not saving very much over the engine guard route. It's mainly an option that I am confident won't impact the lean angle.

I do realize most highway bars won't really prevent all damage or injury in the event I go down, but I know they help and that's a good thing as well.

So, what say you? What options did you guys take and how happy are you with them?

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:24 PM

I like my National Cycle Paladins, they have a little bit of a wierd angle/ turn to them, but they don't stick out as far as some. They are a 2 pc. right and left. I'm 5'10", size 11 boot. I had to adjust the shifter spline one tooth to have enough room for my toe/ boot for the shifter to work smoothly. I wanted a Cobra Fatty but unfortunately they don't make them for the early C models.
nate6966 likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

They don't help with most impacts. They will help if you drop the bike in a parking lot, no scratched tanks. But in a crash, no sir. The lightweight hollow tubing, the tiny fasteners used will just bend and break. This is why they are not called "Crash Bars" any more as the companies that called them this years and years ago, got their asses handed to them in the courts until they changed the names to "Highway Bars" I used Kuryakyn highway peg mounts for my old C and they worked and looked great
nate6966 likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 PM

I also have the National Cycle Paladins on my 1300C. I bent the right in a low speed fall. Being a two piece set all I had to do was straighten the bottom mounting bracket to fix it. It took a press to straighten it out but it worked.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
But do the Palladine bars scrape on turns?

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM

I read somewhere

I’ve read somewhere to strengthen crash bars for a really bad crash, fill them with concrete. It helps.
nate6966 likes this.

Mike - Summerville, SC. 021800C
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Old Goat

Ive had couple of slow motion tip overs (somebeaches are heavy) Paladins saved my paint/chrome...good luck on your choice..
rangers4u likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 06-27-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post
But do the Palladine bars scrape on turns?
I have scraped the footpegs before the bars.
TennX likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummervilleMike View Post
I’ve read somewhere to strengthen crash bars for a really bad crash, fill them with concrete. It helps.
Hahaha!!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Cobra Fattys
nate6966 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page