"Used-Bike/Motorcycle Pricing-Crashing down? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House O' Pain View Post
All indicators are our economy is due for another crash. When this happens people will flood the market with bikes for sale at unheard of prices. Wish I had more room in my garage, but I already own two street bikes. . .
Good grief, since the Great Depression of 1929, the US economy crashes about every 10 years. Anybody who is surprised by the next economic crash, well, is a ......... Our economy is built upon the concept of infinite expansion which just simply can't happen, and when it stops happening there is a correction. You don't need any super complicated equations, graphs, or economic indicators, you simply have to know how to look at a calendar.

But on the other hand, House is right, the next crash will be a big opportunity for those who are prepared. Strategy, save your money for 10 years and then clean up for 2 to 3 years; new house, new cars, new motorcycles.....etc. Well too late for this round, we are in year 10, so if you're not ready, you'll have to wait for the next one.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by road twister View Post
Looked on craigslist, & see over 600 bikes for sale of various brands. Some have been listed 2 months. Friend sold a used Road King for -$3,000.00 below book. Seems used Harley's are really heading down! Saw some really great deals on all brands. whats the market near you? I called a guy on a used '14 Spyder who had it listed for 1-1/2 months, & said I was the only one who talked to him. Brutal time to sell a bike- great buyers market.
I've found a buyers market as well, especially for bigger cruisers like the VTX..... Millennials aren't riding as much and those people that want cruisers still want Harley's even with the reliability issues and the inflated price tag....

In my area there are at least 20 VTX 1800's within 100 of me and most have been sitting for sale for months.... I paid 4K for mine with every accessory known to man and only 18k miles.... Most of the rest were listed for 5k-6k and they aren't moving.....

ColoradoChris
2003 VTX 1800S
F Style wheels, Vance and Hines Pipes
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 AM

The cheap bikes are everywhere. Down Under, bikes second hand are worth nothing as well. Wage growth has stagnated and house prices have gone backwards in the two main cities and the second hand sales sites on the web are flooded with goods. The stock market here is at an all time high. The gap between the rich and poor is widening at an unprecedented rate. As mentioned before lots of people living on credit to have the latest. Save ya money, cash is becoming king and those who have over extended are or will pay the price.

I have three road bikes and biding my time to pick up a forth.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 AM

I have read a ton of anecdotal stories but don't see prices to support them. Can I buy a Fat Boy for 5 grand? If not, the market hasn't crashed for me yet.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM

interest in motorcycles is dying. NVM specious claims of economic instability no one wants to ride anymore. Electronics are more interesting than two wheels to people under 40 today and I do not see that changing.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowoc View Post
interest in motorcycles is dying. NVM specious claims of economic instability no one wants to ride anymore. Electronics are more interesting than two wheels to people under 40 today and I do not see that changing.
You'd be right. My story is probably anecdotal but still worth saying. I have three millennial sons. My wife was vehemently opposed to me buying a motorcycle because I'd set a bad example for the boys. I am sure if I ever sell it, they won't even notice anything is missing in the garage. Such is their lack of interest in bikes. And it's not just bikes. They are not particularly interested in cars either beyond its value as a vehicle. The internet has killed them all. But we're not immune either. Over the course of a year, how much time do you spend online vs. riding your bike?

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I have three millennial sons. My wife was vehemently opposed to me buying a motorcycle because I'd set a bad example for the boys. I am sure if I ever sell it, they won't even notice anything is missing in the garage. Such is their lack of interest in bikes. The internet has killed them all. But we're not immune either. Over the course of a year, how much time do you spend online vs. riding your bike?
The motorcycle manufacturers better face facts, there's nothing they can do to attract the coming generation to motorcycles. Instead of trying to push bikes on the market, they should start shrinking there product lines. Only a small percent will have interest in motorcycles.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:23 PM

I looked at trading down my Road king last winter. Wish I would have moved on a Kawasaki version of the RK, but.....
The hope was to get a little $$ back and a little less bike. Seeing a lot of bikes listed privately and at dealers for book value but selling 2, 3k under or more. Bad part is my harley is not bringing much for trade. And yes they are doing all kinds of incentives to go new, but ouch, 20k or more for a bike. Some crazy deals have come by, but they get taken pretty quick

In the long run. My wife started going with me again, so glad i still have a big touring frame bike

Your mileage may vary
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
The motorcycle manufacturers better face facts, there's nothing they can do to attract the coming generation to motorcycles. Instead of trying to push bikes on the market, they should start shrinking there product lines. Only a small percent will have interest in motorcycles.
Don't really like to hear what you said but I agree with it. Honda and Yamaha has already began shrinking their product lines. Don't think either one offers anything between the Venture/Goldwing and the 950cc size bikes anymore. I guess it is a good thing I plan to keep my bikes a long as I can ride.
jackk likes this.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 PM

There isn't another bike I would take over mine. It is a fun ride and I love the look, sound and handling.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page