Today was my day - Page 2 - VTXOA
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM

After a 500 mile, 100 degree day, here in Texas we stopped to get gas and I forgot. While I didn't have the strength to stop it, I slowed it down enough that a member of our group saw what was happening, put is side stand down and ran over to help me stop it before it hit the ground and then stand it back up. My back hurt for about a week.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Make sure you're wearing gloves too, these things get friggin' HOT!

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
If the bike goes over on the right side....Put the KS down, turn your back to the bike, squat with your back against the bike and get a good grip in each hand somewhere solid on the bike. Slowly lift with your back & legs being careful as you get it nearly vertical to turn around and then ease it down onto the KS. Had to do this once 3 weeks after I got the bike 8 years ago. Probably couldn't do it now. If she drops on the KS side, I imagine the same procedure will work enough to get it near but not vertical enough to get the KS down. If not, make a new friend fast, to help you.

^^^Yep

And put it in gear first if you can.
rangers4u and henkvdb like this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtox View Post
^^^Yep

And put it in gear first if you can.

That's indeed a great suggestion. Thank you.

2003 1800s, 88k miles
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:30 AM

If you leave it in first gear and put the kickstand down it will kill the bike due to a safety interlock. Many people do this on purpose. If you are one of them how many times have you left the key on. That I have done a few times. I have never failed to put my kickstand down, but it has sunk in hot blacktop. Iíd bet the divot the kickstand left is still in front of the hotel in Winthrop, WA

Woody's fairing, Parrot Asteroid, Rockford Fosgate 300x4 and Polk db521 speakers. All mounted and wired. Needs paint!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
For some reason (I don't know how, I can only guess), I got into the habit early on to watch the kickstand foot touch the ground. I guess since I frequently set her on the KS on grass or gravel.
So EVERY TIME the KS goes down, I have my eyes on it and watch how deep it digs as I put weight on it.
That turns out to be a good safety procedure for never forgetting the KS. Well .... until one day I forget.

VTX 1800C
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately everyone day would come to forget. It took me six years. That's why I recommend the engine guard.
rangers4u likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2002 VTX 1800C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page