Crotch Cooler - Heat Shield - VTXOA
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Crotch Cooler - Heat Shield

I saw a post about how hot the rear cylinder header gets and someone posted about a Harley product called Crotch Cooler. So after contacting them, they told me to put Honda VTX 1300 in the make and model info and they would send me something that should work, with very little modification.

***I did not get a discount or any incentive for posting this, I paid full price, including shipping***

I ordered the model with studs (1.25" apart to match my ultimate seat):

https://captain-itch.com/product/cro...ds-patented-3/

Here is how it came:

Since I have push pins to remove/install my ultimate seat, it was a 3-5 minute install:

I slid the front part under the tank so the square hole opening would allow the seat tongue to fit where it should go:

It made the front tongue fit a little tighter, but it still fit perfectly. Here it is with the seat back on:

2009 VTX1300R

Last edited by JPT; 07-31-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
I can say there is a big difference between the top and bottom of the shield. Although I wasn't in traffic and the temperature was only in the high 60's, I can say it made enough of a difference to make it worth the price. Oh, and I love the look too.

At work this morning:

2009 VTX1300R

Last edited by JPT; 07-31-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM

Nice, thanks for posting that review JPT.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Simple, but looks very effective. And damn, I am loving that pipe, wherever it came from!

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 2015 KTM Duke 690,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Old Goat

What ever works for enjoyable ride..13 years,54k all kinds of riding ,some with shorts..zero issues....when I was younger my father always said I had brass balls...maybe I still do... ....good luck

Ps...I say again...Geezus what happened to thumbnails...

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 07-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
What ever works for enjoyable ride..13 years,54k all kinds of riding ,some with shorts..zero issues....when I was younger my father always said I had brass balls...maybe I still do... ....good luck
I went on a 900+ mile trip 2 weekends ago. I did have to put on rain gear, I lost a lot of weight (120+) so my rain gear is a little big on me. It made contact with the rear header shield, and melted on it. Hopefully this will keep any lose fitting clothes off of the header. Also, I did ride in shorts in traffic, this summer, it was manageable, hopefully this will make it more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
Ps...I say again...Geezus what happened to thumbnails...
These are linked to imgur. Much easier for me than actually attaching the images to the forum. This forum will resize based on the browser window size (at least it does with chrome on a PC).

Maybe they can tweak the forum settings to resize bb code images to certain sizes.
DrDolittle likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
Simple, but looks very effective. And damn, I am loving that pipe, wherever it came from!
Thanks!

The exhaust is a Roadhouse Classic 2:1 with serrated heat shield (basically the heat shield is flexible exhaust tube). I bought it used (but never installed). I think they went out of business back in 2008, so it is very unlikely there are anymore never installed out there.

I LOVE the sound, quiet deep rumble.

Roadhouse also made the doolies (dual exhaust for the VTX - both sides) that people love.
rwantin likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
These are linked to imgur. Much easier for me than actually attaching the images to the forum. This forum will resize based on the browser window size (at least it does with chrome on a PC).

Maybe they can tweak the forum settings to resize bb code images to certain sizes.
It's not the forum that resizes the images but the browser. The browser still has to download the entire image (from imgur in your case) to be able to resize it. So, if the images are 5MB each, then the browser needs to download the entire thing before it can resize. On my PC it took about 10 or 20 seconds for the entire page. Not a big deal, but if you are on a cell phone or a tablet on a cell data package, and don't have the greatest signal, it could take a really long time.

Your images are 2048x1536 .jpg that are about 1.3MB in size. You had posted 12 of them, so it can take a fair time, in a bandwidth limited situation to get the page completely loaded. Especially the first time. My PC / browser scales these to 1342x1007. So if you had pre-scaled them you could have gotten these into the 500KB range and the page would load twice as fast. Remember 1/2 the width x 1/2 the height = 1/4 the file size.

Like i said though, no big deal, just for those with lower bandwidth. I thought I might help shed some light on how this all works.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
Thanks!

The exhaust is a Roadhouse Classic 2:1 with serrated heat shield (basically the heat shield is flexible exhaust tube). I bought it used (but never installed). I think they went out of business back in 2008, so it is very unlikely there are anymore never installed out there.

I LOVE the sound, quiet deep rumble.

Roadhouse also made the doolies (dual exhaust for the VTX - both sides) that people love.

Thanks much. I don't have the bike yet (shortly), but am already lining up stuff I might want to do. I figured by now it might be on the rare side - hell, I don't think I've ever seen that one at all. Awesome.

Robert
The correct amount of motorcycles to own is always N+1, N being the current number you own.
2005 Honda VTX1300S, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 2015 KTM Duke 690,
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1992 Ducati 900SS
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
It's not the forum that resizes the images but the browser. The browser still has to download the entire image (from imgur in your case) to be able to resize it. So, if the images are 5MB each, then the browser needs to download the entire thing before it can resize. On my PC it took about 10 or 20 seconds for the entire page. Not a big deal, but if you are on a cell phone or a tablet on a cell data package, and don't have the greatest signal, it could take a really long time.

Your images are 2048x1536 .jpg that are about 1.3MB in size. You had posted 12 of them, so it can take a fair time, in a bandwidth limited situation to get the page completely loaded. Especially the first time. My PC / browser scales these to 1342x1007. So if you had pre-scaled them you could have gotten these into the 500KB range and the page would load twice as fast. Remember 1/2 the width x 1/2 the height = 1/4 the file size.

Like i said though, no big deal, just for those with lower bandwidth. I thought I might help shed some light on how this all works.
Thanks.

I have seen other form software that will actually scale linked images (my zx12 form does this) by automatically making thumbnails, where the user has to actually click on the image to get the full size. This is on a forum that hasn't had a major upgrade in at least 5 years.

The main benefit to having the forum manage the scaling is, it allows those interested in seeing the high resolution picture the benefit of being able to, while keeping the initial loading image small for lower bandwidth users. If I resize (lower the resolution and/or resize) I then will limit those who actually want to see the details. I know I have often wanted to see better pictures of other's posts.

Maybe we can ask the admins if they can see if this option is available in the current forum software, and if it is there, perhaps they my consider turning it on.

2009 VTX1300R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in