My troubles with Viking Bags - Page 2 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03brt View Post
Update —— “Happy ending of sorts”

Luckily, on another board I belong to, a fellow member who has had a very real issue with his bags https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads...s-lock.120930/, has very graciously offered to donate the locks off of his bags. This should be enabled me to complete the repair on both my bags and have a fully functioning set of bags with working locks again.

Wish he too was able to resolve his issues with his Viking bags.
Awesome! Glad to hear the great news.
Sometimes we just get lucky and things work out. That's why these forums are so important.

VTX 1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 PM

self locking bags ?

it had to be easier to pick the lock than to drill it .
i have vikings
took forever and a day to get the bags and the brackets were garbage
i made my own brackets instead . but over all happy with the bags

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03brt View Post
I totally did not throw the company under the bus.
The bags were brand new and were installed on the bike for about three weeks.
I had to drill the lock in order to get the keys out of the self locking saddlebags.
After repeated phone calls and emails providing associated proof of purchase and model numbers to no avail, even though I was willing/wanting to purchase the replacement locks and knowing that $500 is a lot of money to me, I do believe that Yes the company did leave me out in the cold.

I'm still not convinced the company "left you out in the cold".

I read the return policy of the web site and didn't see anything in there when comparing your scenario that implied they didn't honor any stated policy.

Sorry, but I've never heard of "self locking saddlebags" and the Viking web site doesn't use that term. They are "lockable" not self locking.

Self locking or not, if you were unable to pull out the key that seems to indicate a poor quality lock.

Regardless, what good we can take from your post is certainly a warning that the bags have a very limited/restrictive return policy (it's 30 days and items need to in new condition and returned after they approve the return) and also that apparently the locks can fail to release the keys soon after purchase.

I'm a big believer in posting both positive and negative product review experiences, and this is why I made sure to note my experience was positive. Let the buyer beware is the lesson learned.
RBS likes this.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Looking at a picture of the lock on their saddle bags it looks like an ordinary drawer or cabinet lock. Similar to the locks on my Leatherlyke bags. It seems like a good hardware store might carry a lock similar enough to work as a replacement maybe ? or maybe something could be found online. I haven't looked for a saddlebag lock before but I know the local Tru Value has dozens of different types sizes and shapes of these small locks and I would be surprised if they didn't have something that would work. Just a thought.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Looking at a picture of the lock on their saddle bags it looks like an ordinary drawer or cabinet lock. Similar to the locks on my Leatherlyke bags. It seems like a good hardware store might carry a lock similar enough to work as a replacement maybe ? or maybe something could be found online. I haven't looked for a saddlebag lock before but I know the local Tru Value has dozens of different types sizes and shapes of these small locks and I would be surprised if they didn't have something that would work. Just a thought.
Good thought, or maybe an RV parts department?

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Any locksmith worth being called a locksmith could have picked that lock to retrieve the keys and new locks would not have been necessary. Here $35 is the going rate if you take it to him. If he had to come to you it would be more but either way he wouldn't destroy a lock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page