My troubles with Viking Bags - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

My troubles with Viking Bags

Recently bought a brand new set of hard Viking saddlebags.
Unfortunately I had to drill through one of its locks.
Even more unfortunate Viking states they do not have or resell their own individual proprietary replacement locks.
A search of the Internet has not provided me with any spare parts or any like alternative lock options.
Viking bags said they have nothing available for me and locksmith are unable to find a suitable replacement.

———— addendum ———

Unfortunately after many weeks of trying to find a resolution through Viking it all has come to not.
Fortunately though, I have learned much and achieved a fully functional resolution, even though mighty fuggly.

What I learned from Viking:

They only do total bag replacement “if” item is under warranty
They do not have or sell replacement parts.
They do not “know” the foreign manufacturer’s company name who makes the bags for them
They do not “know” the foreign manufacturer’s company name who makes the associated parts for the bag either

Luckily I can still use the bags. It just bites that after spending $500.00 for them I was really left out in the cold.

P.S. The yellow ziptie is used to thread the link through the hole in the bag’s lid.
The bags also seems to have stayed somewhat rain resistant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F6E7153-8678-4E6B-AED1-6DD4028A113B.jpg (423.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg A6597045-3132-4B2F-99B4-214D5FC8E14B.jpg (372.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 097FFA76-7290-443A-B518-03524EDFCBDB.jpg (251.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 3B5183BD-E85B-4606-95A2-D0140B5ED502.jpg (274.6 KB, 15 views)

Life is better on 2 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM

That is truly unfortunate. I had bought Viking Bags for my VTX (not the hard shell). At first they shipped me 2 different bags, both for the same side of the bike. I had to take photos to prove I wasn't lying to them (I suppose I get that with all the scammers out there). They sent me a new bag. I am still unclear as to how a company like this can ship out mismatched bags, but at least they made it right. The bags never fit as I was assured they would so I had to modify them a bit. Drill new holes and plug the old ones. In the end I was okay with the final result for the price I paid.

I am disappointed for you in your experience. They most certainly do know who they get their bags from. Even if not directly from the manufacturer, they simply didn't want to do the leg work. Customer service is a difficult part of running a business, and customer support costs money. Unfortunately some companies don't want to invest in their customer base. These are the ones that disappear after some time.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:59 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Take my take with a grain of salt

I own a set of Viking bags (see image) and I was/am very pleased overall with the quality and have had zero issues with the locks. What you never explained was why you had to drill through one of your locks. It begs the question whether it was a supplier defect or something else (perhaps something you did)? Saying the vendor left you out in the cold is unfair I feel in this example, as I doubt most bag manufacturers sell their locks separately. My point here is anyone reading your post might pass on buying a good bag simply based on your making the vendor out to lack customer support when I see it as you expecting the unreasonable.

I might add that I can think of much more ascetically pleasing ways you could have secured your broken lock lid, but it's a little late for that now. If my lock breaks out of warranty on my Viking bag, I have zero expectation that Viking has any responsibility to me for it. These are not premium bags so it is a case of 'you get what you pay for' as I see it.

I would have fixed the lid with a small version of this (see image) painted black and mounted on the fender facing side of the lid using rivets to mount the thing.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Good counterpoint HOP. I can't say anything bad about my Viking bags either, other than what I pointed out. I had them for a few years before I sold the bike and I had zero issues once they were installed. I found they were good value in that the price was pretty good at the time.

That said, maybe other bag manufacturers don't sell hardware separately, but my bet is that most costlier brands will make such replacement items available. I suppose that speaks to how much one spends from the outset.

If it's important to one before buying bags, it may make sense to ask such questions before dropping the cash.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I totally did not throw the company under the bus.
The bags were brand new and were installed on the bike for about three weeks.
I had to drill the lock in order to get the keys out of the self locking saddlebags.
After repeated phone calls and emails providing associated proof of purchase and model numbers to no avail, even though I was willing/wanting to purchase the replacement locks and knowing that $500 is a lot of money to me, I do believe that Yes the company did leave me out in the cold.

Last edited by 03brt; 07-25-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 PM
RBS

Here's My Experience With Viking...
Anybody Use Viking Hard Bags?

Both Harkon & Hop, & I'm sure there are others, have had no problems.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 AM

F.Y.I.

The Hondaline saddle bags are premium bags and you cannot get any replacement parts for them from Honda either. Same for a lot of their accessories, i.e. light bars, windshields etc. Honda only sells them complete and no parts.

If a company sells something they should make parts available too no mater what the product cost is. I am surprised Viking has no clue who makes their products.

Okay, I am done venting too !

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03brt View Post
I totally did not throw the company under the bus.
The bags were brand new and were installed on the bike for about three weeks.
I had to drill the lock in order to get the keys out of the self locking saddlebags.
After repeated phone calls and emails providing associated proof of purchase and model numbers to no avail, even though I was willing/wanting to purchase the replacement locks and knowing that $500 is a lot of money to me, I do believe that Yes the company did leave me out in the cold.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the bags/company. Everyone has different experience. Some of us just attract incompetent and unwilling people. I have stories too.

Don't give up, though. Maybe someone here will have a lead on their locks. Maybe you'll find a different locksmith who will have a similar lock that might fit.
Your current solution is temporary for sure.
Again, don't give up, hope you get lucky and find what you need!

(I have been in a similar situation with a lock/handle and lucked out finding a similar replacement)
RBS likes this.

VTX 1800C
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
I'm really not surprised to hear this. I have their hard bags on my Shadow and was fully looking at getting their trunk. I had, what I thought, was a simple request. I wanted all 3 locks keyed the same so I only needed 1 key. After a few emails back and forth, the answer I basically got was that it couldn't happen. The end result was that I didn't order the trunk.

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Trouble with my Viking bags

Update —— “Happy ending of sorts”

Luckily, on another board I belong to, a fellow member who has had a very real issue with his bags https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads...s-lock.120930/, has very graciously offered to donate the locks off of his bags. This should be enabled me to complete the repair on both my bags and have a fully functioning set of bags with working locks again.

Wish he too was able to resolve his issues with his Viking bags.
Harkon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page