I'm puzzled - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm puzzled

I've got a situation. Saturday I went to change my front tire, tube got destroyed, so I went and sealed my spokes, I did my rear wheel last March and also went darkside. I bought a pair of 90 degree aluminum bike master valve stems when I did that, I used one on the rear, the other stayed in the package until Saturday. Ok I went and bought the 3M 5200FS, cleaned and sealed the rim, put valve stem in with loc tite on the threads and let it sit from 5:30 pm until 3:00 the next day. Mounted tire,aired it up,bead seated great,aired up to 35psi, checked for leaks, all ok. Installed tire went for a ride. Monday morning, checked tire pressure before riding to work. That's when i realized something's screwy. Can't get a reading on my gauge,I tried all 4 of my air gauges. I removed the valve core,no air came out. Tire is tight,fully inflated, but air won't come out with core removed. I put a little spit on the stem,after about 10 seconds it pops. I blew air in with a blowgun, not sure if any went in but can't get any out. I'm thinking I'll have to remove tire, break valve stem off,replace valve stem. Any ideas?please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190729_201355_1564456921143.jpg (2.02 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190727_180548_1564456950101.jpg (2.11 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190729_201252_1564456992264.jpg (2.78 MB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:55 AM

no air coming out with the valve core removed sounds like some sealer is clogging up the stem or the rubber stem gasket is defective. Quick way to find out is to stick a piece of wire down the stem feel if something is blocking it.
dud-57, Oldude1, RBS and 2 others like this.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 07-30-2019 at 04:13 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Garage

Sounds like a clog under the valve stem.
When removing the valve stem, be very careful, wear good protection, probably full goggles, maybe even a face shield. If the clog gets dislodged while the stem is coming out, it will shoot out like a rocket under so much pressure.
Same precaution for cleaning the glob after the stem is out, if air still won't come out. The clog could come out suddenly and be dangerous as well.
Be careful, don't lose an eye.

Good luck and let us know what you find. Interested in the outcome.
RBS and VTXArizona like this.

VTX 1800C

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Can't unclog it, the 90* valve stem won't let me get a wire thru it. I'll have to order another valve stem before I cut, drill,break the one that's clogged. Bad thing is I can't check air pressure and can't put ride-on in. Good thing is it doesn't feel out of balance and doesn't seem to be losing air. I'll try harder this weekend to dislodge it before I get destructive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:02 AM

cursed valve stem.... try a unfolded paper clip. my guess is you will need to replace the stem no matter what.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:08 PM

If it's a threaded valve stem, can you loosen, the nut and maybe wiggle it enough to get a leak happening? Once you get it that far you shoudl be able to use a c-clamp to break the bead and pinch the tire at the stem. You should be able to attack it from the inside then.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
If it's a threaded valve stem, can you loosen, the nut and maybe wiggle it enough to get a leak happening? Once you get it that far you shoudl be able to use a c-clamp to break the bead and pinch the tire at the stem. You should be able to attack it from the inside then.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Maybe, I have thought about that but the nut is on the inside and i did put thread locker on it . And I did tighten it enough so I wouldn't worry about it coming loose, ever. And if it breaks I will be dead in the water until I get to order one. I plan on ordering Monday if I can't unplug it this weekend.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Maybe, I have thought about that but the nut is on the inside and i did put thread locker on it . And I did tighten it enough so I wouldn't worry about it coming loose, ever. And if it breaks I will be dead in the water until I get to order one. I plan on ordering Monday if I can't unplug it this weekend.
You just have a answer for everything, don't you ... LOL

It does sound like having a spare is a good idea. You've done a great job making sure it never leaks ... EVER! Best of luck brother. Post back with your final solution.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

I wish I had a answer. I will post when I get it figured out. You can see the red loctite and the white 3M stuff. I'm thinking some of the white 3M 5200FS got peeled off when the tire was mounted. If that's what it is I should be able to push it out if I can get a paperclip bent just right to get it thru the tight 90* valve stem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190727_180548_1564797975167.jpg (2.11 MB, 5 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page