It was a good run... until - VTXOA
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

It was a good run... until

Greetings all,

Myself and 2 friends decided to take an easy 850 ish mile run over 4 days.

The trip would take us the full length of Hwy 101, down the Oregon coast to Crescent City CA, turn north and east toward Grants Pass, continue east to the Crater Lake Hwy, north to Madras, and back into Portland.

The coast was beautiful, couple of pics attached,

Saw some friends in Grants Pass, headed onto the Crater lake highway, it was awesome until... a 16 penny nail found its way into the tread and out the side wall of my friends rear tire.

Plan B was towtruck, new tire, over night in Medford and up I-5 back to Portland.

The nail sucked and my friend was able to stop safely. It's part of the adventure?? Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190719_095626.jpg (256.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190718_173039.jpg (217.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Nail in tire.jpg (165.3 KB, 45 views)

Best always
10Ring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Nice. Thanks for sharing pics..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Nice pix. I used the testimony of HawkVTX from Alabama several years ago for Ride-On. He was 70 miles from home and picked up an aluminum gitter spike which came up through the center and then out the side. He made it home due to the sealant protection of the Ride-On. To further this praise, 2 years ago I was 300 mi. from home, staying at a friend's about 250 miles from home for the night, when I picked up a ringed flooring nail dead center of the tread. In my darkside car tire. It started riding a little funky due to slowly losing air (which I didn't realize at that point). Made it to my friend's for the night, and the next morning another friend while getting ready to leave before me, mentioned my tire was flat. So the safety factor, and saving me a tow, was well worth it being that far from home. I proceeded to plug it, and it got me home safely, where I then replaced it with another CT. I may be in the minority but I do not trust plugged tires. If I have to, I have to, but no.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM

I was out that way 2 years ago and rode that Hwy 101 from south of San Francisco all the way up in Washington state. What a beautiful scenic ride. We crossed on a ferry at Puget Sound. We were gone for 28 days and travel 9100 miles.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Yikes. Glad that your friend handled it well, that's the good part of the story you should focus on. It could have been MUCH worse.
Y'all had a great trip which ended SAFELY. That's a win in my book!
10Ring and Earl Riviere like this.

VTX 1800C
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
Yikes. Glad that your friend handled it well, that's the good part of the story you should focus on. It could have been MUCH worse.
Y'all had a great trip which ended SAFELY. That's a win in my book!
Yes Thank you,

We were stranded for a bit. As you say, it could have been "Much Worse"

Was a good trip. I will just have to replan a trip to that part of the state. 👍
Earl Riviere likes this.

Best always
10Ring
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
Nice pix. I used the testimony of HawkVTX from Alabama several years ago for Ride-On. He was 70 miles from home and picked up an aluminum gitter spike which came up through the center and then out the side. He made it home due to the sealant protection of the Ride-On. To further this praise, 2 years ago I was 300 mi. from home, staying at a friend's about 250 miles from home for the night, when I picked up a ringed flooring nail dead center of the tread. In my darkside car tire. It started riding a little funky due to slowly losing air (which I didn't realize at that point). Made it to my friend's for the night, and the next morning another friend while getting ready to leave before me, mentioned my tire was flat. So the safety factor, and saving me a tow, was well worth it being that far from home. I proceeded to plug it, and it got me home safely, where I then replaced it with another CT. I may be in the minority but I do not trust plugged tires. If I have to, I have to, but no.
Thanks for the feed back.

That's a nice testimony for Ride On. I have read about it, that's about it. The next sizeable town would have been about 150 miles north. You think he would have made it that far using Ride on? Especially with the nail going through the sidewall?

Best always
10Ring
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
I was out that way 2 years ago and rode that Hwy 101 from south of San Francisco all the way up in Washington state. What a beautiful scenic ride. We crossed on a ferry at Puget Sound. We were gone for 28 days and travel 9100 miles.
It is a very nice ride. There are sites we passed by that I want to see.

9100 miles is a very good ride. I plan on spending more time in the southern part of the state in the near future, (if things go as planned)

Best always
10Ring
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:40 AM

I "think" ride on is a good product and maybe someday I'll try it but I think in this case it would not have worked. The nails is through the sidewall at the rim edge, the material would never flow in that area, they state it is for holes in the tread area.
ervin260 and 07Blackcherry like this.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ring View Post
Thanks for the feed back.

That's a nice testimony for Ride On. I have read about it, that's about it. The next sizeable town would have been about 150 miles north. You think he would have made it that far using Ride on? Especially with the nail going through the sidewall?
You would have to ask him that as it was his experience not mine. It was posed by some that the nail coming out the side wouldn't have sealed. Maybe no, maybe yes. As it came up through the center, it pierced the layer of R-O as it proceeded to the sidewall. it could, could, have, then put a small bit on the inside of the sidewall as the point exited the tire, thus creating a seal. Not a good one, but just enough. 99 times out of 100 this might not have happened, but maybe, just this one time.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page