Spiegler issues..... - VTXOA
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Spiegler issues.....

Greetings all, I have a situation of which I think should be made public.

I bought a spiegler brake line kit from DLP about a year ago. I am in the process of installing it and I hit a snag - the kit does not have the correct parts. The kit did not have the manifolds required to complete the project. The bags were sealed when I got them and they had this funky 6 way manifold that looked odd. There are supposed to be two manifolds however - and I got neither one in the kit. Now I got the kit during the firesale by DLP of their old inventory so I paid maybe $50. And it was a year ago.

Sadly, I called spiegler and they told me I was SOL. I sort of understand that since the kit was bought through DLP. They also said the kit was 15 years old (which I sort of doubt since the VTX was barely two years old at that point). I pointed out the bags were sealed when I got them and that they had to provide the manifold in the packageing. Their response was basically to blame DLP.

Spiegler stuck me for the full amount to buy the manifolds ($150) since they see this as an issue with DLP even though the bags were sealed and clearly came from them. I was OK with paying for them, but when I asked about their dealer pricing (which was 2/3 of what they charged me) I was told tough - we don't sell retail for that.

So to summarize:

1. The kit was sealed and had the wrong parts.
2. Spiegler absolved themselves of any possible blame by saying DLP purposely changed the manifold.
3. Spiegler did not see this as an issue in which they would need to help.

I guess live and learn - my next brake lines won't be spiegler. I wouldn't trust that their kits are correct. While the guy on the phone was pleasant enough when I mentioned I would let yall know that there was this obvious issue he accused me of slandering spiegler and issued a thinly veiled threat of legal action if they felt it was inappropriate.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:16 PM

What kind of manifold(s) did you get in the sealed bag? Pics would help...
I understand their point. They didn't sell the kit to you. DLP did it. They don't know what happened to the kit at DLP. You think it was in the original package, but Spiegler doesn't know, if it really was the original unopened package or just you think it was. (I think this is their point of view. DLP is the retailer, so they need to deal with your problem. This is why manufacturers have retailers. They don't want to deal with customers. Retailers have margin on the products and they have responsibilities.
Sorry for your troubles...

VTX 1800/280

Last edited by ervin260; 08-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervin260 View Post
What kind of manifold(s) did you get in the sealed bag? Pics would help...
I understand their point. They didn't sell the kit to you. DLP did it. They don't know what happened to the kit at DLP. You think it was in the original package, but Spiegler doesn't know, if it really was the original unopened package or just you think it was. (I think this is their point of view. DLP is the retailer, so they need to deal with your problem. This is why manufacturers have retailers. They don't want to deal with customers. Retailers have margin on the products and they have responsibilities.
Sorry for your troubles...
I will post up a pic of the manifold I got shortly. have to get it off the bike.

a couple of things -

1. The package was unopened and original Spiegler packaging. I know because I still had it and I sent a picture of it to them. They acknowledged it was older packing, but it was theirs.
2. I don't think they should take responsibility for the full event. I was fine with paying them for the manifolds, but sticking me full price was dirty no matter who you are.
3. The biggest issue here really is that they absolutely denied any responsibility once the product went to DLP. The suggestion that DLP would mess around with the manifold and that I should not say anything about this lest they view it as slander is egregious in my opinion. All they did was deny and deflect while blaming DLP.

I would have had more respect for them had they tried anything to help the situation - eat the shipping, cut the price, do something, even appologize. The fact that they simply would not even remotely come close to saying they could have made a mistake is terrifying.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM

What I still don't understand,, why you contacted Spiegler instead of DLP. You paid DLP, you got the product from DLP, you have a "contract" with them, not with Spiegler.
If you buy a Honda part from a dealership and you have promblem with it, would you contact Honda in Japan and expect them (somebody from the corporate office) to send you an other one?
You woud have better luck with IKEA. If something wrong with their product, thegy replace the defective/missing part in their store or if it isn't available in store, they mail you one from Sweden. But don't forget, they don't have retailers, they sell directly to their customers and all the profit stays in house...

VTX 1800/280

Last edited by ervin260; 08-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervin260 View Post
What I still don't understand,, why you contacted Spiegler instead of DLP. You paid DLP, you got the product from DLP, you have a "contract" with them, not with Spiegler.
If you buy a Honda part from a dealership and you have promblem with it, would you contact Honda in Japan and expect them (somebody from the corporate office) to send you an other one?
You woud have better luck with IKEA. If something wrong with their product, thegy replace the defective/missing part in their store or if it isn't available in store, they mail you one from Sweden. But don't forget, they don't have retailers, they sell directly to their customers and all the profit stays in house...

I called spiegler to order a custom hose - I have the aeromach risers and the hose inside the kit didn't work. That led to a discussion on how to install some things. I had no idea I had the wrong manifold until the tech on the phone started describing connections I had never seen.

I never said I wanted them to do anything other than acknowledge they had a hand in this. If they don't fine, but I am uncomfortable dealing with a company that denies culpability for something clearly they had a hand in. For this to be completely outside the scope of their responsibility DLP would have had to open the package, replace the manifold, reseal the whole thing in spiegler packaging and knowingly send it out defective. Now maybe you think they are devious enough to do that - I don't. Not because I like them, but because its stupid. They could have just canceled the order and said they didn't have any more. It was a $25 inventory blow out special.

I am disappointed that I got charged full bore for the manifolds, but I paid it. I am more concerned that they will deny anything else that might go wrong - whats to stop them from saying the line was tampered with if it splits during use? It could have happened because DLP did something after it left their factory. If they think their dealers are that shady or have such poor business practices why use them? It sure does damage their brand for something that in all likelihood someone would buy from someone else anyway. Still, maybe you are correct. maybe DLP put this manifold in the package and sold it. I am certainly not going to say they did not have a hand in this as well. And of course I likely won't do business with them in the future just as a precaution.

The only point of this thread was to let people know I had found some shady things with Spiegler. Do with that what you will. Ignore it, mock it, or take it as useful. It doesn't matter to me at all. If one other person reads this and it saves them the headache I am going through then its worth it. at a minimum they should understand what should come in the package - had I known I might have been able to fix it with DLP when I bought it (maybe..).

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 PM

So you paid only $50 for the whole set? The price of a full Spiegler brake line set is $399,95 so something is wrong. You probably didn't pay for a whele set.
ervin260 likes this.

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (new)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Hre is the manifold that came with the set along with the original packaging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2286.jpg (186.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2282.jpg (269.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2285.jpg (235.4 KB, 5 views)

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

DLP was blowing out a bunch of inventory a while ago. I got it then. There were some killer deals - ghost brackets for $20, cheap pipes, lots of chrome stuff. The works.

It was supposedly real. I guess DLP could be the focus of issue as well if they did not sell a real set.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowoc View Post
DLP was blowing out a bunch of inventory a while ago. I got it then. There were some killer deals - ghost brackets for $20, cheap pipes, lots of chrome stuff. The works.

It was supposedly real. I guess DLP could be the focus of issue as well if they did not sell a real set.
I understand what you mean but I have never seen such a bargain. Anyway I hope you can finally install the whole set and send some pictures. Good luck.

brothers in arms:
2003 VTX 1800C (new)
2002 HD FLSTF since 07/2008

" Today you raised more questions than giving answers "
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

They were screaming deals. I was looking back at them while I was hunting for my original receipt from DLP. I found it - from almost three years ago.

I guess life has a way of getting in the way. The original price was $99, not $50. I actually had an interchange with DLP about this where they missed shipping it. I wasn't sure if they would or not but they assured me they had it and would send it.

No matter who is at fault, this manifold is pretty dangerous. It looks like it is held together with bailing wire. Worse, the brakes wouldn't work with it. The manifold itself is not linked. There is no crossover valve to allow fluid to go from one port to another.

Maybe spiegler was smart to run away from this - whoever put this in the package could kill someone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page