To hot to go for a Ride, NO WAY! - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool To hot to go for a Ride, NO WAY!

Hello,

Here my latest mod, a cooling vest.

Thatís right the 100 plus heat in Texas along with the fact I wonít ride without safety gear has forced me to this.

Actually it works, and getting it ready is fast too, now, there are a lot of different makers and styles out there.

I went with strong reviews by fellow riders to help me chose Hyperkewl Motorcycle Vest made by TechNiche International.

I picked mine up on Amazon for under $35.00,
Simple V-neck w/ zipper closure; work for a wide range of people and uses
Can provide 5-10 hours of cooling relief per soaking
Lightweight, easy to activate, and durable
Comfortable, quilted nylon outer with HyperKewl Cooling Fabric inner, water-repellant nylon liner, and black cotton-poly elastic trim
Adult Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, Custom
Adult Colors: Silver, Blue, Black, Hi Viz Lime, Khaki, Pink, Marine Desert, Army ACU

Now getting it ready is done by dipping it in water for 1-2 minutes is all, I used the bathroom sink.

Then wringing it out to get the excess water out, adds about 2 pounds of weight to the vest which is made from a very thin material.

Next slip it on and zip it up, I then put on my armored IXS MONTEVIDEO II Touring Jacket, with all the mesh vents open.

The initial feeling after putting it on is slightly cooler, once on the road with air moving its way better than without the vest.

Now I ware a T-shirt under it and the T will get wet, but the water is not dripping off it, IT Works, so I give this a big thumbs up.

Itís not an air conditioner, but it does reduce your core temperature down, which allows me to ride in the Heat of the day.

No w how long the vest will stay wet I canít say, as I hove only gone out on one hour rides so far and the vest is still plenty wet when I get back, besides if you needed could always stop and re-wet it in a bathroom sink when getting fuel.

This is a must have if youíre riding in hot weather.

David Hilton Ret. USN ETC/SS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vest.jpg (45.8 KB, 13 views)

Howdy from San Angelo Texas,
David Hilton Retired ETC/SS

Last edited by subdude2; 08-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Nice! Thanks for your review.

Keeps you cooler, less sweating, helps with hydration. A safe and practical option.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:03 PM

I've used one for several years and posted about them on here on other hot weather posts. They are called Evaporative Cooling Vests (ECV), if it is made of Hyperkewl material then it is made by TechNiche. They claim several hours of use but I find you get about 2 hours of good function out of it and then limited effect for about another 2 hours. But not a problem on an X where you need gas every 2 hours anyway unless you have an aux tank. In the pic below you can't tell I am wearing one but I stopped at this rest area to re-charge it. The bike I am on goes over 3 hours between fills so the vest was ready before I needed gas. This is in New Mexico and it was over 100. Makes a very substantial difference in the comfort level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2495.jpg (455.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9952.jpg (509.1 KB, 14 views)

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:09 PM

I've been meaning to get one of those since the first time I met a guy that was wearing one. I was riding my vtx down to corpus christi to visit my son in 2013. It was early July and I was heading across west Texas on I-10 and it was some hot. I made a gas & gatorade stop around Van Horn and was soaked in sweat. A guy on a Harley that was coming from my part of New Mexico pulled up wearing one of those cooling vests and was telling me how nice and cool he was. I have to admit, my butt was aching at the time and besides coveting his cooling vest, I looked at his comfy looking seat with a little envy as well. If for no other place that I ride, the trip across west Texas from El Paso to San Antonio that I make every 2 to 3 years is the best ride I can think of to have one of these cooling vests. Principal is the same as the water type air conditioning we use in homes here, get the vest wet then get some air flowing through it going down the hi-way.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 08-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 PM

I have a mesh jacket. After reading about cooling I have often wet my t shirt under the jacket. Helps a lot. This summer most of my riding shirts are the plastic athletic under armor kind of material. Those dry out very fast

Thanks for the review. Next time I get to our local riding gear store, I'm gonna see what they got

Your mileage may vary
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 AM

looks like a winner!!
don't forget the sun screen on your exposed areas.
i have never been a fan of sun screen but i got some skin cancer right on the end of my nose a couple years ago.
no doubt riding didn't help any and i work inside.
i use sun screen now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:37 AM

Great idea and good info.

Just did a search and found Amazon has a lot of them in various price ranges. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Evaporative-C...e+Cooling+Vest

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE Bought new 1st one sold in WI. - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM

They work best in dry climates, works like a swamp cooler(dry climate air conditioning for those that don't know). Doesn't work as well in high humidity areas, but does have some cooling effect. A dash of water from your water bottle on your jacket would be just about as effective.

2007 1300 C Metallic Cabernet----34, 513 miles when purchased 09/2015
Now----92,365 miles
2007 1300 C Black----4,506 miles when purchased 12-31-2016
now----27,068 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page