Gloves/helmet/goggles - Page 3 - VTXOA
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Ouch! Hopefully, and by the looks of it, everything else is ok? What gloves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Points of impact on motorcycle helmets (Link)

My wife and I ride only with full-face helmets, Not sure how she would like it if I did not have a chin.
Piotr1 likes this.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM

It is about 45 years ago. I remember seeing whatever was left of the face of a young man who went down with a half helmet.
Full face for me. Always.
Piotr1 likes this.

2003 1800s, 97k miles

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:03 AM

This will get a reaction from some, but I was born with a $10 head. I have always bought cheap helmets and gloves. While some blokes I know seem to make every ride a preparation for falling off, I ride hard, but seem to have hung in there quite well. Yes I know it is the one that doesn't see you, that you don't see that gets you. Maybe it is luck, maybe it has been awareness of what is going on around me. I have ridden most everyday for the past 40 years and have been hit by a car when I was young, dumb, and full of you know what. Sure some close ones over the years but few and far between. I believe because of concentration. However, the other day I forked out about a weeks take home wage for a high quality full face for sports riding. I am getting older and my concentration is not what it was. Wasn't riding as a young man all about risk taking? We used to ride in inappropriate clothing and safety gear. That, like speed was all a part of the thrill. Buy what makes you comfortable but live a little, take some risks.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 AM

I personally like a 1/2 helmet. One of mine is the Sena. As far as gloves these are the ones that I lie. Am on my second pair. They last a long time and are not as hot in the summer. I also like finger less gloves better simply because there are times I need my fingers while riding. Cost a little more but worth it to me. After all you get what you pay for and they last.

https://shop.olympiagloves.com/colle...fingerless-gel

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
Anyone done this?
Ill match your picture. This is why you should always have palm protection. IDK why the hell they (manufacturers) worry about knuckles so much . They have those huge, hard, knuckle protectors. I have always bought gloves with palm sliders like the knox scaphoid (SP?) system. When are we supposed to slide on our knuckles?

https://www.mcgearhub.com/motorcycle...liders-or-not/
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=cc rider;4608624]Ill match your picture. This is why you should always have palm protection. IDK why the hell they (manufacturers) worry about knuckles so much . They have those huge, hard, knuckle protectors. I have always bought gloves with palm sliders like the knox scaphoid (SP?) system. When are we supposed to slide on our knuckles?

Your right, I cant remember anyone I know sliding down the road on the backs of their hands. I do see lots of people wearing these gloves though. Fashion and the need to copy the racing guys is the only reason I can fathom. Same as those sets of leathers with the Quasimodo hump on the back. WTF!!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

So i started this tread in August and since have made a few purchases and figured I would post an update. When this thread started, I was new (again) into riding which I hadnt done for a long time. Having sold everything from my first time, I knew there were some advancements and probably new players in the riding gear world so I wanted to get an idea from you guys/gals what you used to start getting a gauge of where to start looking to get ready to ride again on a cruiser this time as opposed to the cafe FZR600 that I had when I was younger. Anyway, here are some thoughts: I still ride with my 1/2 face SENA. My wife also has this helmet and I bought them because I liked the style, and of course they have the built-in bluetooth communication capabilities. She has only ridden with me a handful of times, but I must say, it sure is nice to be able to talk to each other as we are cruising around. It is truye, once you hit part around 60-65, it start getting more difficult to talk/hear. Anything below that, and you can have a conversation. Great for around town but wouldnt be worth much on a good long highway cruise in my opinion. However, next spring, we will be looking at the full-face ones that I believe Cycle gear sells that has the SENA built in already so that we can converse on longer trips. Believe its the BILT Tech 2.0 but still need to do research on that one. Been riding on/off still here in Idaho. Mornings are roughly around 30 degrees in mornings with afternoons reaching around 50 to 55. That half face does well with me wearing a balaclavas and a mask under it. Will enjoy a full face though a lot more so looking forward to that for spring. I did pick up some Highway 21 Jab gloves both in the full finger and half. The full gloves are nice. Borderline not enough glove at 30 degrees, but still ok. I am usually a large but after the recommendations online, I went with an XL which fit good. The half fingers however aren't as nice. Weird as they to are XL, but right side seems smaller than left and becomes a bit uncomfortable after 15-20 minutes. Just not sure it wasn't a fluke or if that company is a bit lax on their QC? Not sure. I came across a pair of goggles at my local Honda dealer. They have the headband and they had them in clear, yellow, and tinted lens. They were right around 12.00 for a pair so i threw the dice and grabbed a pair of yellow tint so I could wear them in day and night. They have full padding around the lens and that has been all I wear now unless my wife goes with and then i let her wear those and I wear my Oakleys. I will buy another pair as they do good protection against wind and the price was right. Also was looking for a leather jacket and ended up picking up a Street&Steel Freemont. I have been really impressed with not only its warmth but its wind break capabilities. When riding to work in 30 deg mornings, I just have a t-shirt underneath it and have absolute no issue with not being warm. Granted, my commute is roughly 9 miles and speeds are no faster than 55-60, but that is still nice to not have to bundle up to much under it. The quilted liner is removable as well so that has been nice to utilize on some could mornings and not needing that quilt in the afternoons. I know it isn't as protective like a leather when it comes to crashing, but it does have elbow, back, and shoulder pads for those not so fast incidents! Believe I paid about 120.00 for the jacket and was, in my opinion, a great buy. Ok, there are a few updates and reviews of some riding accessories from a neebie point of view. There are tons of items and companies to choose from out there. Hopefully those who are newer to this site and/or riding can get some ideas from these posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page