Question about Rotella T6 - Page 2 - VTXOA
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
Hey guys, thinking about using this
Mobil 1 96936 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motocycle Motor Oil. Arizona is hot.

Thoughts?
It won't hurt, but really, the engine, once warmed up, runs at whatever temperature the thermostat tells it to run at. A water cooled bike doesn't really see the benefit of higher viscosity oil that an air cooled bike would. I guess what I'm saying is that the benefit of doing this is arguable ... and to be certain, many will argue one way or the other. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it in warmer regions. Try it and let us know if you notice the difference once the engine is hot.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
How many miles on your bike now ?? Do you still like Delvec oil for your VTX ??

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 AM

Garage
Earl, I am not sure who your question was directed to but since I may be one of the few using Mobil Delvac 15-40
I am still rolling along with it.
Looks like ten oil changes with Mobil Delvac 15-40
192,882 VTX miles
rangers4u likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340
I don’t have any brand loyalty to any product/manufacturer, I just stick to what I know works best for me.
If you want to stick with your own choice, then why bother to start a thread to disparage the choices others make?
ervin260 and Earl Riviere like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Old Goat

When u guys get done here...can we talk about tires,batteries and tire pressure...etc,etc.....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
Thanks, question was directed to you, so thanks for replying.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Hans&Feet;4607298]https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...le-lubrication

You could spend weeks here!

Hans sure got that right!

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:03 PM

I think you can read all you want, different opinions, but how does the transmission feel, do you add oil between changes. That is what I go by. So no Rotella for me or the car mobil. Had to add oil. Not with motorcycle synthetic for me. Others have different results. Don't know why.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
... Unlike RT6, the M1TD does not have the JASO seal on the jug, but that doesn't mean a whole lot really, just that Mobil chose not to pay the big bucks to have the JASO certification and endorsement done on their diesel engine oil. I've since moved on to Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil for the VTX.
Not sure but I am doubtful any Rotellas have the JASO seal nor that it paid for it's approval. There are "specifications" that can be met and then there are "approvals". JASO writes the specifications and only it can approve MA, MB, and MA2 ratings for motorcycles. MA is what is appropriate for the combined clutch/gearbox in a VTX, MB is for like my BMW LT that doesn't have the clutch in the gear oil (but not to be confused with the MB Approval 228.31 which is approved by Mercedes Benz), and MA2 which is for a wet clutch bike with a catalytic converter. You can write/call Shell but I think they will say that through their "own" testing they meet the JASO MA specifications but they haven't submitted for approval by JASO.

Here is a list of current JASO MA, MA2, MB approved oils, August 2019, no rotellas listed.
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

To be JASO approved they need to display the seal shown below, personally I've never seen the seal but I've only been using the shell tested "meets specification" oil, for me that is currently Rotella T Triple Protection at $3.50/qt. I had the Rotella T tested from my vtx by Blackstone Lab. Never took it out to its end rating but they had me going over 10K miles with some TBN still remaining. That was good enough for me because I wanted to be able to take a 10K trip without worrying about the oil.

In the shell T6 labeling it looks to me they are claiming to meet the MA, MA2 rating but not specifying approval.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JASO certification.JPG (40.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg T6 JASO.JPG (32.1 KB, 10 views)
Harkon and pushrod like this.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page