Question about Rotella T6 - VTXOA
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Question about Rotella T6

In my last 3 bikes (including my VTX) I’ve primarily used Motul 7100 which aside from the somewhat higher price tag I’ve never had any complaints or issues. Despite hearing great testimonials about Rotella T6, is it not an application that’s specifically made for Diesel motors? Nowhere on the bottle nor on their website does it indicate anything about motorcycles. I’ve also heard that apparently the quality of this brand is not as good as it once was & some anecdotal evidence of folks complaining it’s been causing clutch slippage.

Would it not make more sense that if the Rotella was that good for wet clutches the company wouldn’t capitalize on it & market the product for motorcycles? Did someone, somewhere one day just use Rotella & made this discovery that apparently it’s the best thing you can put in your crank case?

If anyone knows the answer to this I’d be really curious to know. I don’t have any brand loyalty to any product/manufacturer, I just stick to what I know works best for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
1800 has weak clutch springs, that is the problem with the clutch.
Many different oils used and clutch still slipped.
Do not blame it on the T6.

Diesel engine with many gears for various devices, good for the VTX engine & transmission (oil shear stability).

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 PM

Rotella is JASO-MA specd' and therefore is specified by Honda for use with the VTX clutch. Many Harley owners use T4 in their primary with no ill effect on the clutch.

People love to over think oil. It's one of those things that people think makes a bigger difference than it really does. Many VTX owners have used the cheapest automotive 10W40 they can find, without ill effect to the motor or drivetrain. I prefer, always have, fully synthetic oil ... helps me sleep nights. My son's V4 VFR specifically forbids synthetic oil, so he uses Rotella T4. That V4 runs way harder than your VTX ever will, and it has well over 80,000km on it now. It still runs like new. My point is that most of what you hear about oil is anecdotal but there are many who use T4 and T6 exclusively and swear by it. IMO it's great oil for bikes.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Old Goat

Can’t help with Rotella...but..I used amsoil till I lost my connection....very happy with Mobil 1 and Bosch 3323...good luck on your choice....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 08-23-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:58 PM

I have been using Rotella T6 for the past 40K between 2 bikes, my Shadow Aero 750 (22k) and my VTX 1300 (18k).
I used Dino oil on my Aero the first 2 oil changes since i bought it brand new (first 4 K), could have just gone 1k for the break-in but i went 1 more.
Never had a negative issue with T6 and i have never burned oil at all. Bike runs "happy" with T6.

Having said that, i have been contiplating using a different synthetic, perhaps Mobil One or one of the other high end formulas once to just compare and see for myself.

Like an occasional bottle of champagne, as a Treat for the bike... lol

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)

Last edited by VTXArizona; 08-23-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
When I purchased my bike from the original owner, it came with a fresh oil change using the best Honda brand oil from the dealer.

I ran that oil about 5000 miles and replaced it with Rotella T6.

It was a good price for a gallon at Wal-Mart.

It seems to work fine.
RBS likes this.

2004 VTX1300C
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:49 PM
bdm

I use synthetic oil
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 PM

I've used RT6 a couple of times in my VTX with no ill effect. I also used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel, which is the Mobil version of T6, for a couple of years and it also did just fine. That's what I use in my 6.5 TD Suburban and I always have plenty on hand. Unlike RT6, the M1TD does not have the JASO seal on the jug, but that doesn't mean a whole lot really, just that Mobil chose not to pay the big bucks to have the JASO certification and endorsement done on their diesel engine oil. I've since moved on to Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle oil for the VTX.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 PM

Hey guys, thinking about using this
Mobil 1 96936 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motocycle Motor Oil. Arizona is hot.

Thoughts?

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Garage
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...le-lubrication

You could spend weeks here!

Then go to the Heavy Duty Engine Oil > Diesel
jackk likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page