2020 Harley-Davidson Lineup! - Page 3 - VTXOA
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Not a Harley, but we have a 96' diesel suburban that came new with an oil cooler on it. I know some guys on the diesel forum that do, and recommend doing, disconnecting and draining the oil cooler and lines during oil changes to get that extra quart or two of dirty oil drained but I have never done it. The connections are really difficult to get to and it's way too dirty of a job and I never wanted to risk creating a leak that I didn't have on the cooler or line connectors. GMC doesn't recommend it anywhere in the manual but a lot of guys that still have these things preach doing it. Similar situation on purging the MC engine I think.
Harkon likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 AM

I'm not sure, if I'd do that, but used oil in a diesel engine is much more dirty and contaminated, so I understand them.
4inchpistons likes this.

VTX 1800/280
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Basic model without the tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
I think to some degree all of the new electronics and fluff is to the detriment of marketing. All of this wizz-bang high tech costs money. These bikes already cost enough. I wonder if they offered a stripped down basic model, at a proportionate price, if they might realize that most people don't want to pay extra for a lot of this tech. Unfortunately they make basic models less appealing by making the price dis-proportionate to features. They, of course, want to sell the loaded models.

post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I guess. The StreetGlide comes in at about $3K more so that seems about right. I think they'd sell a lot more of the basic models and more bikes altogether if they marketed it at <$17K instead of >$18K but that's just my opinion. But then I guess you could make your own StreetGlide for less than the $22K they want for one off the floor.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 AM

I'm disappointed. Well and truly. You need only cast a mild aspersion at the Harley Davison brand and blokes from 200 miles away come rushing in fists clenched. Its like dangling an old piece of bait near a sucker fish. Whoosh, here they come! For 7 years now almost anyone I don't know has bagged the guts out of my VTX (and also me, because, if I was a man I wouldn't ride that ****) What is it, or have I not seen the contract you sign when you buy a Harley that says you must defend the brand to your death. The Harley riders here are intelligent blokes but still that need to defend the brand. Lets stop justifying what we ride and just get the wind in our faces.
P.S. Ive had some grand times on a company supplied Suzuki FA 50 stepthrough and not too ashamed to admit it.
fastspek and Bikerbob1 like this.
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
I'm disappointed. Well and truly. You need only cast a mild aspersion at the Harley Davison brand and blokes from 200 miles away come rushing in fists clenched. Its like dangling an old piece of bait near a sucker fish. Whoosh, here they come! For 7 years now almost anyone I don't know has bagged the guts out of my VTX (and also me, because, if I was a man I wouldn't ride that ****) What is it, or have I not seen the contract you sign when you buy a Harley that says you must defend the brand to your death. The Harley riders here are intelligent blokes but still that need to defend the brand. Lets stop justifying what we ride and just get the wind in our faces.
P.S. Ive had some grand times on a company supplied Suzuki FA 50 stepthrough and not too ashamed to admit it.
To you it seems like puffery, but it's really just setting the record straight. Misinformation is misinformation. It's not about defending anything. I owned a KLR650 for some time, if someone feels, incorrectly, that that bike is a pile, then I'd be happy to set the record straight, not because I owned one, but because I know better. Anyone who feels the VTX was junk, I'd again, be happy to set the record straight ... because I know better. I'm not sure why there are Harley riders out there that are so rabid about the brand they would disparage others without knowing better. Of course the same holds for the riders of any other brand as well. Why would someone riding a Honda disparage Harley without any knowledge of what they speak of? Insecurity? If anyone taking a poke at another brand is simply trolling ... as you suggest, well then I took the bait. But only because I felt someone was misinformed. Frankly I could care less if someone likes or dislikes the brand, but no need to spread lies.

I will ask as a retort, why does it bother you so that anyone would defend any brand over another? Would it bother you if someone defended Honda to a Harley rider? Should it then bother you that someone defends Harley to a Honda rider?

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM

They sure do ask a lot of money for such an ugly bike! But then, it's not like it's a Honda. Now that they're made in China, and Hondas are made in Ohio, Can we officially class Harleys as "Rice burners"??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purdy Cutoff.jpg (1.63 MB, 3 views)

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM

I think they misunderstand when they buy the model with the "Deluxe Package", and become bitter and disappointed when they find that it's just stuff on the motorcycle, and doesn't change their personal physical appearance at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purdy Cutoff.jpg (1.63 MB, 3 views)

post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 PM

The proof, as they say, is in the putting. As a retired truck driver, I've been up and down lots of highways in lots of different places in the country; From the Southwest, to the Northeast. And I can truthfully say, I've seen more Harley/Davidsons in the backs of trailers than any other brand.
I've known many Harley owners in the past 50 years, and they seem to spend the majority of their time fixing or replacing something. On the other hand, I've also known many Honda owners, and they park the bikes in the winter, and ride them in the summer.
So, from many years of observation, I'll stick with Honda. My '95 Aspencade has 86,000 miles on it, and my VTX 1800 has over 50,000 on it. Both run like tops with just basic maintenance, and a few new tires every once in a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190625_082330_Film4.jpg (352.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0869.jpg (411.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.JPG (2.03 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0656.jpg (524.1 KB, 3 views)

post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob1 View Post
They sure do ask a lot of money for such an ugly bike! But then, it's not like it's a Honda. Now that they're made in China, and Hondas are made in Ohio, Can we officially class Harleys as "Rice burners"??
This is what I mean about misinformation. Honda hasn't made a bike in the US since June 2009 when they moved Goldwing production back to Japan. It's fine if you want to make a point, but you should know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page