2020 Harley-Davidson Lineup! - Page 6 - VTXOA
 95Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Justa_Poser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Villa Ridge, Missouri
Posts: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowoc View Post

......................I wouldn't buy another air cooled motor if I had too. If that was all that was left I simply wouldn't ride anymore........................


Oh c'mon now ! Here's a nice air-cooled model. 1,854 cc's and it's a pushrod motor.
No issues.






I haven't burnt it up (yet)



We also have a couple of air-cooled Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I don't recommend them. Not because of the air-cooling, but because of the unreliable electricals
Harkon and rwantin like this.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Last edited by Justa_Poser; 08-30-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Justa_Poser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa_Poser View Post
Oh c'mon now ! Here's a nice air-cooled model. 1,854 cc's and it's a pushrod motor.
No issues.






I haven't burnt it up (yet)



We also have a couple of air-cooled Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I don't recommend them. Not because of the air-cooling, but because of the unreliable electricals
A buddy of mine has an old RoadStar with the 1600CC (or maybe it's the 1700CC) version of that engine. Never a problem. He went mile for mile, in heavy traffic and open road with the VTX and he had zero issues as well. I've never had a heating issue with the Harley either, but then that's just me.


Of course if one doesn't want it, then that's fair. That's the great thing about having options. They exist for a reason. Someone always will want an alternative, and that helps add color to the world. It would be a boring world indeed if we were only ever stuck one type of motorcycle.
vtox and lofty like this.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
post #53 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver and Chicago
Posts: 8,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
A buddy of mine has an old RoadStar with the 1600CC (or maybe it's the 1700CC) version of that engine. Never a problem. He went mile for mile, in heavy traffic and open road with the VTX and he had zero issues as well. I've never had a heating issue with the Harley either, but then that's just me.


Of course if one doesn't want it, then that's fair. That's the great thing about having options. They exist for a reason. Someone always will want an alternative, and that helps add color to the world. It would be a boring world indeed if we were only ever stuck one type of motorcycle.
That is because you live in canada. its not like you have heat waves year round.

I had one air cooled bike. It was a yamaha. Never again.......

even the vics (when they made them) which were supposed to be the most advanced air cooled motor ever. NFW. And I loved the cross country baggers they had.

Push rods, air cooled, whatever. I just don't see the allure of riding around on 70 year old technology.


but anyone else who likes them knock yourself out. There sure are a lot of pretty air cooled bikes and I am stoked to look at them.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama
Mowoc is offline  
 
post #54 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowoc View Post
That is because you live in canada. its not like you have heat waves year round.

I had one air cooled bike. It was a yamaha. Never again.......

even the vics (when they made them) which were supposed to be the most advanced air cooled motor ever. NFW. And I loved the cross country baggers they had.

Push rods, air cooled, whatever. I just don't see the allure of riding around on 70 year old technology.


but anyone else who likes them knock yourself out. There sure are a lot of pretty air cooled bikes and I am stoked to look at them.
Yup, for sure. No one says you gotta like 'em. Ride what ya like, that way it's enjoyable for you.


If you are stuck in traffic, at that moment, does it matter if the entire summer is 100+ deg F or if it's only 100+ deg F for that moment. I'd submit it doesn't make the slightest difference in that moment. You don't think it's colder here every day than Vegas or Phoenix is, do you? FYI, it can get hot here too. I rode a rented Ultra Classic in Vegas in 105 deg heat. Just like a hot day here.



You say you've seen air cooled bikes, smoking away. I can only share that I have not experienced that with mine, even in 100+ deg temps. Is it hot? Yeah, but so was my VTX. It's never smoked though. Anyway, this is not to argue the point, you don't have to like air cooled, push rod engined bikes. That is a valid opinion to have, here or anywhere else IMO.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
post #55 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DarkShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 522
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa_Poser View Post
Right.


Because, who picks up chicks at a bar on a Grom ?


Hey remove the badges from a VTX, you might have a chance!
DarkShadow is offline  
post #56 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
vtox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Great PNWet
Posts: 6,026
I've seen more than one reference to cruisers as "old man" bikes. Not having anything to do with the brand.

Most of us are too old these days to go looking for "chicks", at the bar or anywhere else. The women we might have a chance with are not as likely to climb on the back of a bike for a hookup. And might be more impressed and susceptible to the charms of a nice car, or SUV. As long as Harley doesn't start producing them, our Chevy Tahoes and Ford Explorers will probably work

.
.
M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

vtox is online now  
post #57 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Hey remove the badges from a VTX, you might have a chance!
Those days are long past for me anyway. If I'm at a bar, chances are my wife is with me anyway. She's the only one I care to impress anymore.
vtox likes this.


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
post #58 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
VTXCRZR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 4,092
One of the more common complaints in this thread is that Harleys are overpriced. To me, and free-market economist, the correct price is the price that most people are willing to pay. Price something too low and you will be chronically on backorder, (Note Harleys are often on backorder suggesting they are priced too low, the Honda VTX was never on backorder); price something just right and you have robust sales and the product is rarely on backorder; price something too high and you can not sell your inventory (the case for Honda VTX resulting in it being discontinued, but never Harley). So if we apply that fundamental definition to Harley Davidson, they are not overpriced because people keep buying them. On the other hand, if we apply that fundamental definition to the Honda VTX 1300 or 1800, they were overpriced because not enough people bought them to make them profitable. Honda was therefore forced to discontinue the VTX line after 9 years of market failure because of lack of customer interest. That is the Honda VTX 1300 and 1800 were overpriced.

Finally, declaring that something is overpriced because one can't afford it is wrong if there are, in fact, many people buying the product. The question one should be asking themselves is why can't I afford it, therein lies the problem.
ervin260, Harkon and jackk like this.



2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler
VTXCRZR is offline  
post #59 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Donnie Downer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,896
https://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?site_refer...=0400095294515

People are buying 1300 dollar "biker" Jean's, doesn't mean they're not over priced, only that there are some fools willing to pay that much.
It doesn't mean those not buying them can't afford them.
Secondly, HD is laying off workers and closing factories, can't be doing that great.
cc rider likes this.

Last edited by Donnie Downer; 08-31-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Donnie Downer is offline  
post #60 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Harkon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
https://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?site_refer...=0400095294515

People are buying 1300 dollar "biker" Jean's, doesn't mean they're not over priced, only that there are some fools willing to pay that much.
It doesn't mean those not buying them can't afford them.
Secondly, HD is laying off workers and closing factories, can't be doing that great.
In that context, "overpriced" is an emotional evaluation, and is opinion, as it is not a fact / reality for everyone.


None of the bike manufacturers are doing exceptionally well, that's a sign of the times. HD isn't on a high currently, that is a fact.


As always Donnie ... a ray of sunshine


'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Harkon is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome