27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:34 AM

Garage
The Perils of Pine straw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:45 AM

Tenn. 360. Last year in the Smokies area. Went from 129, dragon, down to Cherohala. They were mowing the roadside and leaving huge piles of clippings in spots.
Here in Arkieland, you watch for it. Like the deer. A little makes you uneasy, big piles.... well, see previous pucker comment. Zooming around a corner a couple of weeks ago and a guy mowing around a house had a lot in the hi way. I was able to cross into the oncoming lane and go around big piles. Did not want to get in that while in a big lean.
BobD, rangers4u and Curt E like this.

Your mileage may vary
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:29 AM

I'd like to think that MOST homeowner/ land owners are conscientious enough to at least mow every week or so. It's those irresponsible don't-give-2-sh##s owners who maybe mow once a month or less, that by then the mower is practically choked from the weeds and hay, that blow the huge green chunks onto the roads. Once a week clippings are usually smaller, and the wind can even blow them away. I have such a neighbor, with a gravel driveway, that every hard rain his gravel ends in my driveway, he has a patch of trees with leaves that all end up in my yard ( I live just east of him, so prevailing wind), he has a hard coal burner in his garage to supply heat to it and his house, sulfur stink galore so bad I can't open windows in late fall or early spring, he has an OPEN ditch that his septic runs into that also ends up stinking my way esp. in the summer, I can't sit on my porch or open windows. Oh- he's a former township supervisor/ roadmaster who thinks he's above everyone else and can do/ get away with whatever he wants whenever he wants. I've lived here years before he came in, so moving isn't an option. If he were to suddenly assume room temperature I wouldn't be sad. I'm not advocating anything ill his way, just thinking out loud.
BobD likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Last edited by rangers4u; 08-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Old Goat

I dont have any landscape in my front yard (large corner lot) but as far as grass goes my front yard looks like a golf course(have a treatment plan)...Ive all ways considered the gutter/street part of curb appeal...I edge the yard first and then blow everything ,gutter included back into the yard then mow...like many Ive never understood blowing chit in the street....I live in the house my parents bought brand new in 1952....but sadly hood is becoming rental property and most dont care....I guess I should be glad they at least cut their yard... occasionally....
rangers4u likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 08-28-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A neighbor raises cattle & his pasture fronts on the main 2 lane road about a mile from my house. He cuts the grass along side the road about once a month & blows all the clippings into the road ( right on a frickin' curve) I stopped (on my bike) while he was cutting & told him how dangerous it was for bike riders & if I heard of anyone wrecking because of him I would be a witness for them in court that I had told him! Hasn't changed his bad habit.
TennX and rangers4u like this.

LETS MAKE AMERICA MISERABLE AGAIN

No matter how the media spins Islam then and now, Sharia Law and our U.S. Constitution are not compatible. Moral relativism and tolerance to the point of ignorance will result in national suicide.

Freedom Outpost op/ed

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Thats the narcisstic(?) a-hole attitude I was speaking of.
BobD likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:03 PM

It's illegal up here but never enforced unless someone complains. I drove by a guy on a riding mower just today blowing a steady stream onto the road and gave him a good long horn blast. I would have stopped by I was late getting my dog to the vet. I doubt he had any idea what I was blasting hom for.
rangers4u likes this.

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:29 PM

There is a reason for blowing clippings on the road. Kentucky back roads are narrow and they don't have shoulders. The speed limit is often fifty five MPH. When mowing so the clippings go into the grass, your back is to the oncoming traffic and there is no way to know if your are going to be run down. However, when mowing so you can face the traffic, you will be putting grass clippings on the road.

Fresh grass clippings are slippery, but not as slippery as black ice, snow, wet/oily pavement, or wet leaves. And depending on the traffic, the clippings are eventually blown away or disbursed. My suggestion is for riders to slow down on curves and look ahead as far as possible.

Try not to lean, brake, decelerate, or accelerate on grass clippings.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Just be careful and don't try to train others to be the way you want them to be. I've always said that if you'll pay my mortgage and all my bills then I'll happily do things more to your liking. Otherwise, don't expect others to think like you and, definitely, don't think you can train them like your dog. There are much bigger issues than grass on the road for a day, or so.
Curt E likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRock View Post
Just be careful and don't try to train others to be the way you want them to be. I've always said that if you'll pay my mortgage and all my bills then I'll happily do things more to your liking. Otherwise, don't expect others to think like you and, definitely, don't think you can train them like your dog. There are much bigger issues than grass on the road for a day, or so.

There is NO bigger issue if you go down & are injured, some have lost their lives!
rangers4u likes this.

LETS MAKE AMERICA MISERABLE AGAIN

No matter how the media spins Islam then and now, Sharia Law and our U.S. Constitution are not compatible. Moral relativism and tolerance to the point of ignorance will result in national suicide.

Freedom Outpost op/ed

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page