OEM saddle hardness - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

OEM saddle hardness

I'm a recent new owner of a 2002 1800 C and I find that the stock saddle is quite hard. What does everybody do, replace the seat, strap on a gel pad over the stock seat or go with Air Hawk seat cushion. I'm sure there may be other remedies. So what did you do?
pushrod likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:42 AM

That's a great question and one that comes up often and has a lot of answers to. When I first got my VTX I too found the OEM seat uncomfortable for me on long trips. I had MCC ( meancitycycles.com ) do the double decker memory foam mod to mine. The cost wasn't too bad and after six years, I'm still riding on it today. IMO there are probably more comfortable options out there, but MCC is a major improvement over stock and I'm just one of many that found that mod to be just right. There are lots of other options as well, Mustang, Ultimate, Corbin. There will be others along here shortly to tell you what they did. Good luck with whatever you choose.

2003 VTX 1800R

Last edited by pushrod; 09-03-2019 at 12:44 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM

When I first got my Shadow I found I couldnít ride more than 45 mins without the discomfort being unbearable. I picked up an AirHawk and it changed that. The only issue is it changes your riding position. I didnít like where it put me. Luckily I found a fella selling a Mustang seat. Vast improvement. I could ride a tank of gas before needing to stop.

My VTX came with a Mustang seat, of course I was looking for one that already had it.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Keep a close eye on the for sale ads here and elsewhere- many times people selling their bikes, after they have spent $$ on an OEM replacement seat, will want to put it back to OEM before selling, so you can get a good deal on a well-taken-care-of used one. Please make sure the seat you buy is made for the same year and model as yours- the early years in many cases will not accept a later year seat, even for the same model. Seats can be modified, but unless you have good skills you wouldn't want to do that mainly for clean fitment looks.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Yep, stock seats suck. I tried those gel pad toppers and can say it was much worse, for me, than sitting on the stock seat. I took it off within 100 miles of use. MeanCityCycles.com did 2 of my seats for different bikes and they were great. I also had an UltimateSeats.ca on my Victory and that was also a great seat
rangers4u likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Hmmmm, I’ve never heard of anyone complaining of the stock seat.
smurfy71 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Old Goat

Each time Thinking I was saving money by not buying ultimate ....my seat progression went ...meancity,saddleman,mustang and eventually/finally ultimate....I still have the ultimate....good luck on your choice..
rangers4u likes this.

Phil...(72)ĒNobody told me I die at the endĒ
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM

For me the stock seat felt like what I imagine a wild animal trying to eat itís way in would feel. 45 minutes and it was painful. First replacement was a Saddleman gel seat which was a tremendous improvement for me, but I donít think the passenger part was very comfortable. It was a one piece seat. After some formally lodged complaints, I bought a 2 piece Mustang seat and still have it on the bike. Iíve ridden 2 iron butts and 3 more that were within 25 miles of an iron butt ride. Seems to be working pretty well.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM

Are you sure you are looking at this the right way? Maybe the seat is fine and it is your butt that is too soft. Whatever the case I love my Ultimate seat, best spent money in my life.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM

my first vtx took 19,526 miles to break in the stock seat.

my second and third had a MCC seat within a month. Your butt will thank you for the $40 or so you spend.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page