Tough Market for used VTXs - Page 3 - VTXOA
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
There is only one group calling for or praying for recession and doom, I would not buy a bike with that tire on it plus the only thing I will buy that I have to work on nowadays would be a house or business that I can flip for double.
HILARIOUS. Pretty much slammed all the hot buttons on this site.

FWIW, I agree for the most part. The car tire in particular would give me the willies. I would not ride that thing until it was replaced with a motorcycle tire. Sure, lots of guys have good luck with car tires and I get why they ride on them. I wouldn't though. It is the whole choice thing. If I did ride dark side then I would change it out when I sold it. The pool of people who find that acceptable is smaller than those that don't.

Now maybe he can post what type of oil he uses and we can get an all encompassing bitchfest thread going.
RBS, Squid, StarrRider and 1 others like this.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. - Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
There is only one group calling for or praying for recession and doom, I would not buy a bike with that tire on it plus the only thing I will buy that I have to work on nowadays would be a house or business that I can flip for double.
Actually recessions are rather predictable: Note there is roughly 10 years in between significant recessions and the last recession ended 9 years ago.
1929 - 1933 Great depression
1937 - 1938
1960-1961
1969-1970
1973-1975
1981-1982
1990-1991
2007-2009

They happen with amazing regularity. They happen for two broad reasons: 1) our economy is built on the concept of infinit expansion. For example, everybody is excited about the increasing value of their home until the value is out of reach of the average buyer. 3) the average American has a memory of about 2 weeks. Sadly, I can remember every recession since 1960. There are actually quite a few experts calling for a recession in the next couple of years. The people calling for a recession or not are either 1) politically motivated or 2) market drivers who make money on the transaction: sell now before the market crashes or buy now because the market is expanding. Either way they make money. The only way they don't make money on a daily basis is with people who hold stock long term. So they spend a lot of energy trying to get them to sell and or buy.

With regard to VTX sales, the VTX has never been even an average market performer, that's why Honda quit making them after 7 years of losing money due to lackluster sales. Never-the-less, we like what we like, I bought my 2003 VTX 1800C brand new in 2004 when Honda was giving gigantic rebates trying to boost sales and reduce inventory. My VTX is now 16 years old, has 150,000 miles and still runs like a beast. Looking into the future I can see my wife pushing me out to the garage in my wheelchair where she will fire it up and I can just sit, listen, and remember.
RBS, StarrRider and ColoradoChris like this.

2003 VTX 1800 C, Rinehart Exhaust, Hypercharger, PCIII, Custom map for each cylinder, 1300 FD, Spec 3 F-wheels, 200x50x18 Metzler

Last edited by VTXCRZR; 09-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoChris View Post
The market for motorcycles, and cruisers in particular, is softer than it has been in the past.... From what I have read, fewer people are riding and the millennials (if they ride at all) are going for the sport bikes or those little grom things....
V-Twin motorcycles are declining in popularity faster than most people realize. I've talked to a few guys trying to sell their bikes they advertised it on craigslist and cycle trader, they said the used bike shopper is hard to deal with. They want something for nothing, don't have much knowledge on motorcycles, want the bike but don't have the money at this time, not sure of what kind of bike they want. Also consider this, trying to sell a bike over 10 years old many people are afraid taking the risk with an older bike with many miles they may have to send more money on down the road. When my friends and co-riders talk about possible getting a new bike I remind them how bad things are on the used market. You really need to rethink about buying a new bike, it's highly possible the used bike market is only going to continue to get worse.
ColoradoChris likes this.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
V-Twin motorcycles are declining in popularity faster than most people realize.
Allow me to Introduce you to the future of motorcycles.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
Old 09-17-2019, 04:01 PM

In June of 2018 i had a a buyer for my bike for $4,700. They were upset when i cancelled the sale, really upset, she was i mean. They were just getting ready to go to the bank and get the cash.

I had it for sale for 1 week and it was the first people to come look at it. craigslist.

Not kicking myself in the ass though, glad i kept it.
rangers4u likes this.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Oddball View Post

Had one of those electric bike go by in traffic one time, barely heard it. I was in my truck with the window down, kinda unnerving, just a little zzzzzz and they were by. I think they need to add some sort of sounder to it. I know that most often, even with how loud my bike is, people don't notice I'm there until I'm even with the window, but at least they hear that I am there. These? I still think splitting lanes with them is kinda dangerous. (Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention CA guy here where splitting lanes IS legal.)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Oddball View Post

Looks good. Makes my V-Twin look like outdated technology. If I had to chose a model I'd go with the Dual-Sport version.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXCRZR View Post
Actually recessions are rather predictable: Note there is roughly 10 years in between significant recessions and the last recession ended 9 years ago.
1929 - 1933 Great depression
1937 - 1938
1960-1961
1969-1970
1973-1975
1981-1982
1990-1991
2007-2009
I know what the stats are I was a day trader for many years sold out in 2007 and bought everything at rock bottom in 2008 and the average is more like every 7 years so we are 3 years past due because of the person we have in charge right now.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
Looks good. Makes my V-Twin look like outdated technology. If I had to chose a model I'd go with the Dual-Sport version.

I see this as more of a toy and not a real m/c.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"
Old 09-22-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
I haven't read every entry on this post, but I don't thinks it's always about price.
I had my VTX listed all summer, from early May, and all I had was guys offering speed boats & SxS quads in trade. Basically they were trying to off load their unwanted stuff for something better.
One couple came to look at it and bought it on the spot for (then) asking price. I had lowered the price a couple times over the summer, but eventually got pretty much what I was expecting in the first place.
They had crashed their Nomad earlier in the summer & were ready to get back on the road. One of their friends in the riding group offered them his Stratoliner, but they weren't interested. Another guy rode a VTX, and they were convinced this would be the best move for them. Lots of power & torque and the promise of a long, low maintenance life.
I think I'd done a nice job on my bike and took good care of it. It was perfect for their needs.
Patience is a virtue .....
rangers4u likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in