18Likes
  • 5 Post By leroys73
  • 7 Post By rangers4u
  • 5 Post By leroys73
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Aborted SS1000

If you read my posts in the rides section you know I had a busy June and July, D-day Anniversary and a trip to Alaska to tour around plus to ride the Dalton.

August got here and I had only ridden a thousand or so miles between my two motorcycles since Alaska. So I felt an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 calling me. I had not ridden one since May.

My plan was to do a SS1000 from Dallas to Rochester, MN, then visit some friends in Wisconsin before heading to the UP of Michigan. Would then ride to Detroit to visit some relatives. After Detroit I would stop by Cincinnati to visit some more relatives and some friends before riding a SS1000 back home.

For years I have had trouble with my neck causing pain/numbness in my arm. I have done the meds, shots, and therapy. They all stopped working. While on the Dalton I had this problem but I was able to deal with it by letting my arm hang down to my side for a short time.

On August 17 I headed out on this adventure. I was not even 10 miles from home before the pain started. This time it was bad. I did the same thing I did in Alaska. It worked but for a very short time. By the time I was less than 100 miles from home I called off the SS1000. This was the first IBA ride I had to abort. I should have turned around but my friends in Wisconsin were counting on my being there. I continued but it took me two days to go the 850 miles.

I visited my two sets of friends but canceled the rest of the trip. It took me three days to get home. I called my doctor the next day to schedule surgery.

My daughter has Multiple Sclerosis and some of my family members do also. This prompted me, before the Wisconsin trip, to sign up for the Multiple Sclerosis 5000, MS5000.org, with my minimum goal of 5000 miles in the 50 days starting September 1 and ending October 20. I planned to ride 6000 to 10,000 miles.

I did get in 500 miles on the 09/01 & 09/02. I had neck surgery on the 3rd. All went well and I am doing great. However, now I will miss about 15-20 days of riding during recovery.

I have not changed my goals. I'll just have to ride more miles per day.

The MS 5000 was started by Paul Pelland, longhaulpaul.com, who has MS but rides a lot to raise money for MS. If you are so inclined to donate here is the link: http://www.longhaulpaul.com/ms5000/ms5000-donations/ If you want to donate as supporting my ride there is a place for my name: Jerry Stevens

Thank you

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,40,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Sorry to hear of your setback. We all must adjust as we age, and get our enjoyment as we can when we can.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I am recovering well from the 9/3 surgery. Fused #4-5-6-7 in the neck. I cut back on the pain meds and muscle relaxer. They made me sleepy all day. I am a little sore as of today, not pain. The doc said I would not be able to move my head left and right as in lying it on my shoulder as far as I could before surgery. So far I have not noticed any change in range of motion in any direction, just a little soreness.

They go in from the front of the neck so the inside of my throat was sore and swelled up making swallowing a little uncomfortable for awhile. I just had to take smaller bites.

I am driving and doc said motorcycle riding in two weeks from surgery. He said I could do anything that did not hurt so I will try a short ride tomorrow to gas station to see how it feels then maybe a few more. It is only a few days early. I'll do like I have after my previous surgeries, work up to the longer rides.
rangers4u, lofty, pushrod and 2 others like this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,40,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 PM

Garage
Good to see you are on the mend!
pushrod likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in