Very impressed with my new double darkside setup - VTXOA
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By BigVTXMan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Very impressed with my new double darkside setup

I've been using a car tire on the rear of my 1800C for the last 22,000 miles, and have been happy with the performance thus far. Last fall I put on a Bridgestone DriveGuard Run-Flat Radial Tire - 195/55R16 87V, and had a regular MC front tire, also Bridgestone. The setup was decent, but there are 72 curves from my house down to the main road, and that setup did require that I employ counter-steer when taking some of the tighter turns. The curves are anything from sweepers to hairpins. But, I was used to it, no big deal, could still zoom through them and scrape pegs.

I went to put air in the old front Bridgestone (Hadn't had the bike out since last fall), and the whole rubber valve snapped off at the rim! WTH, never had that happen before, in over 50 years of riding.

Since the old Bridgestone was pretty much toast, after only 7,000 miles, I decided to replace it with the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45, rear tire. Took it out for the first time today. Very, very pleased with this tire combination. It's like they were made for each other. No more counter steer nudging into the corners, the bike just fall into place. Buttery smooth handling, excellent traction.

I only did about 26 miles, but there were at least 150 curves, some highway, and 6 miles of rocky dirt road, with pot holes and rain ruts going in multiple directions, not to mention a couple of pretty steep inclines. It handled the rocks, ruts, and loose dirt very well. I really would not have wanted to try that with the Metzlers I used to run.

At this point, I can definitely recommend this tire combination. (BTW, for this first ride, I was running 35 psi front and rear).

- Bridgestone DriveGuard Run-Flat Radial Tire - 195/55R16 87V
- Bridgestone Battlax BT-45, rear tire (for the front)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page