Riding without a helmet - VTXOA
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Riding without a helmet

Yesterday I had to go to where my bike broke down and do some repairs in order to get home and Iforgot my Helmet.
The half hour ride home without a helmet reminded me of why I fell in love with bikes in the first place.

When I first bought this bike a few months ago I started out with a full face helmet, heavy duty leather jackets,gloves etc but I have progressively found myself becoming more and more naked when it comes to protective gear.

The last few months I have seen 2 types of bikers, ones who are fully cocooned in protective gear head to toe and the 2nd type are people wearing nothing but some glasses.

I know the smart thing to do is to wear protective gear for those what if situations but it seems to me you get to the point you've wrapped yourself so much in protective gear that it defeats the purpose of the bike.

What is everyone's opinion and experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
I have a helmet .... from a wreck.. I would have died...

6 inch crack up the back of the helmet.. and both sides of helmet were ground to nothing...

I was "OUT" for over 12 hours.
steveroy60 and henkvdb like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Oddball View Post
... I know the smart thing to do is to wear protective gear...
10Ring likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
3/4 helmet, gloves, boots. Blue jean jacket spring and fall.
Jeans all the time, no shorts. I lost keys wearing shorts once.
That is it except in winter a heavy leather jacket.

A long sleeve shirt in summer to block UV...

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Wear whatever your comfortable with, both physically and risk wise. It only takes a moment to go from a functional adult to a vegetable.

Personally, I feel it’s foolish to ride without a helmet.
pushrod, Curt E, henkvdb and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Ride your own ride. But weigh carefully the advice you get from long time riders. If you crash, even at slow speed a helmet can save your life or even just your way of life. Your chances of losing either or both go way way up without head protection. Good and adequate head protection.
RBS, TedlyM59 and Blaine C like this.

M8 Fat Boy S Bonneville Salt Pearl

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I currently have a full face helmet I use for highway driving, around town I have this.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-helmet-solid?

I am however thinking about switching to this helmet, what are your thoughts.

https://www.blackbeardsgear.com/onli...K-88-p36081417
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM

I was the same. Back in the day, when I rode sport bikes, I wore a full face helmet, leather and gloves, all of the time. I took a break from riding and picked it up again when I got the VTX. The I rode with a mesh riding jacket, or leather, gloves and a modular / full face helmet. As time progressed I slowly eased up on AGATT (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AGATT), and went to a half helmet and often rode in jeans and T-Shirt, sneakers. Because of the wind noise with the half helmet, I now wear a quality (Shoei) 3/4 helmet and often ride bare sleeved wearing jeans and sneakers. I almost always wear gloves, not because I might wreck, although we all know that is a distinct possibility every time you ride, but because a grasshopper hurts like a bugger off the knuckles.

On our ride to Sturgis in 2014, I rode the VTX without a helmet once. It felt ... weird. I wasn't comfortable with it, even though at the time I rode with a half helmet. IMHO you should ride however you are most comfortable. Although I completely advocate always wearing a helmet, I do not endorse it's legislation. The province to our east has tried and is trying to legislate AGATT for bikers, and it is a mine field of legislation. It seems ridiculous that one can legislate what type of jackets or gloves or footwear are appropriate or such are "required" at all. Either way I don't believe in a nanny state and I don't believe in such legislation.

Just a heads up for everyone as well. This is another down side to government funded health care. Once the government controls health care, it becomes a pivotal point in any discussion involving injury mitigation. After all it's not just the individual that suffers exposure to risk anymore. It's a slippery slope my friends and liberty often comes at the expense of dollars. It shouldn't but when they can make it about cash, then liberty comes second.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Helmet always, as they have saved me more times than I can count. Started Motocross in 76..
henkvdb likes this.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee_Oddball View Post
Yesterday I had to go to where my bike broke down and do some repairs in order to get home and Iforgot my Helmet.
The half hour ride home without a helmet reminded me of why I fell in love with bikes in the first place.

When I first bought this bike a few months ago I started out with a full face helmet, heavy duty leather jackets,gloves etc but I have progressively found myself becoming more and more naked when it comes to protective gear.

The last few months I have seen 2 types of bikers, ones who are fully cocooned in protective gear head to toe and the 2nd type are people wearing nothing but some glasses.

I know the smart thing to do is to wear protective gear for those what if situations but it seems to me you get to the point you've wrapped yourself so much in protective gear that it defeats the purpose of the bike.

What is everyone's opinion and experience with this?
The difference between cocooned and "naked" riders is the naked riders have not hit the pavement yet.

Back in the day we had a customer that had a close encounter with the ground, while riding drunk in shorts and flip flops.
He lost 8 toes and destroyed both kneed caps, along with various degrees of road rash.

Not worth it guys & gals.
DrDolittle and henkvdb like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page