Burn Outs - VTXOA
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Burn Outs

I’ve been around motorcycles since early childhood (I’m 45 now) & have seen ppl doing burnouts on their bikes probably since around the same time.

Until today, I still can’t figure out the point, purpose and/or enjoyment of it. Please don’t get me wrong here, in no way shape or form am I trying to judge anyone who does like doing or watching it being done, but it’s beyond me why someone would willfully damage their ride & most of its critical components for some smoke & validation from onlookers??? I can understand if you’re a teen ager or may a twenty something year old, but I’m talking about guys who are well tenured riders & have been in the saddle for even longer than most of us here..

So for those of you who do enjoy doing burnouts, can you please fill me in as to what is It that I’ve been missing here for over 4 decades already??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

What are you missing? Nothing. Waste of time, waste of rubber, hard on the machines
ervin260, RBS, rangers4u and 1 others like this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Garage
The burnout contest @ Sturgis was fun to watch. Was someone else's bike, lol...
ervin260 likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM

I don't, but I have done once upon a time. The response would be the same as it is for many things that are reasonably common but difficult for some to understand and that is ... "if you gotta ask, you'd never understand".

There is a certain "Je ne sais quoi" about the whole thing that speaks to the inner child in a motorhead. And, yes, it is childish, or at the very least juvenile, but we occasionally do silly things that could be considered such ... or at least I do. I think I'd find life boring if I didn't. It's like, why would you take any bike, or car for that matter, to over 100MPH (160KPH for us metric folks), or to it's terminal speed, without having a life threatening consequence of not doing so? Think Road Warrior here. The answer is for the thrill. Juvenile in nature to be sure, but you need to feed the inner child every once in a while. Doing such things is full of risk, escalated by speed, and ages machinery for nothing more than a thrill. Yet some do it, and if you gotta ask why ....

If anyone ever asks you "why do you choose to ride a motorcycle?", a valid answer is "if you gotta ask, you'd never understand", is it not?

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:19 PM

I don't do burnouts or otherwise mistreat any of my motorcycles or vehicles, but I have to admit, when I first got my VTX I did some vigorous burnouts on it - several times - and on purpose. The power at the rear wheel was surprising and my "inner child" just could not resist.
Harkon and Curt E like this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I don't do burnouts or otherwise mistreat any of my motorcycles or vehicles, but I have to admit, when I first got my VTX I did some vigorous burnouts on it - several times - and on purpose. The power at the rear wheel was surprising and my "inner child" just could not resist.
Sometimes you just gotta live a little Pushrod. Continue to feed that inner child, responsibly and within means of course, and age does in fact become a state of mind. You didn't buy a bike, and especially not a VTX if your inner child didn't crave something.
ervin260, pushrod and jackk like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:10 PM

If you have to ask......

....you’re probably a well adjusted adult.

They do burnouts because they crave attention. Mommy didn’t love them enough as a child.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

To be clear, I would never question anyone's inner child, Need for Speed or anything like that. I guess I'm looking at it more in the context of the damage you can do to the bike. Particularly the tires and brakes.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
To be clear, I would never question anyone's inner child, Need for Speed or anything like that. I guess I'm looking at it more in the context of the damage you can do to the bike. Particularly the tires and brakes.
Hard on Tires, suspension and everthing else. I think one guy here ripped out the transmission shaft on his 1800

2003 VTX 1800R
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
I understood that going in, and my response wasn't intended to challenge anyone, only to give you my take on it. In a big way we agree, it's abusive to the equipment and in the end fiscally draining. I laugh now when I see it, but only because I've seen the invoice at the end of that behavior. AND, if you are really unlucky, you may have to push your bike home. If you are really really unlucky, the cops will give it a nice home until you can bail it out. If things go really bad, you'll want to leave it where it died. Saw a bike go up in flames once because of such non-sense ... gas leak. I guess my point is, why do some people do what others think are stupid things? The answer is because in their minds it made sense. Don't know why, and it can't make sense to everyone, and rarely makes sense to anyone else, but I know I've been guilty of it, and can't say I'm always 100% responsible when it comes to feeding the inner child to this very day.

"It made sense at the time"
lofty and frnkcat like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page