Honda VTX Forum banner

Harley pulls the plug on the LiveWire

7K views 102 replies 25 participants last post by  DrDolittle 
#1 ·
#6 ·
That was my first thought when i was at the m/c show in Cleveland and you could ride one in the IX center. Tucking a chargeable battery between your legs raises the bar for excitement, lol

Some cars have the battery under the back passenger seat. Should be a warning sign on the back of the front seat.

#9 ·
It's a very poor and deceptive thread title. I think most people would understand "pulling the plug" to be a terminal step. So, misapplying it to a production stoppage while issues are sorted out and resolved is clearly misleading.

I'm not sure an EV bike will ever appeal to me, but I'm glad that the products are under development. They will probably continue to improve both in price and performance.

#10 ·
reminds me of the 'oil embargo'... you could only ride on Sunday .. as far as one tank can take you...

there and back....

as ALL gas stations were "Closed" on Sundays.

Reactions: pushrod
#12 ·
Lucky you, we were not allowed to drive on Sundays at all (Holland), only public transportation.

However, it was an 'ear opener' to learn how quiet a city could be without traffic, even at night, and an 'eye opener' to see people who had never in their life used public transportation before, complain about standing room only in the bus.

#66 ·
What about that boat the ran on water man, it had a fiberglass air-cooled motor and ran on water man.... >:)

#21 ·
Indeed. With Honda on the tech edge with robotics and such, I wonder how long before Honda dips a toe in the EV bike pool. The obvious advantage is they can leverage what they learn in their electric car program. Although I'm not yet in the market for an electric bike, I think Honda could make a statement there.

#24 ·
Taking Harley out of the picture. Follow the money. Electricity is a very old source of power, which is quite often generated by burning fossil fuels. It mostly, is not clean and green. Look what has happened to diesel powered vehicles in Europe where there was a big push for them and now they are being phased out because of tightening emission laws. Glad you splurged out big bucks on the latest diesel powered car Mr European? Once loads of people have squandered mega bucks on electric vehicles along will come hydrogen power or something else. The big end of town relies on everyone being led by the nose to believe that we need something when we just want it. Electric vehicles are just a phase. We now have reliability why are they not working on improving mpg? Needs and wants, why cant we understand the difference?

#27 ·
Europe, actually Germany, rolled back it's electric targets for that reason exactly. It's simply not as green as everyone thinks. I completely agree with you in that, unless a green source of electricity is found, that is something that is net negative carbon emissions, it's all just a deferral. Such a source of electricity does not yet exist that I am aware of, unless we consider nuclear (major issues), or unless something has come of cold fusion in the last little while.

#31 ·
I'm a little confused on who would be the target market for an electric bike that's going to retail over 30 grand out the door?
It's pretty evident the company has been in serious panic mode because they finally realized that you cannot have a successful business model on brand loyalty alone. I know the company had some difficulties in the past, but it will be really interesting to see how they bounce back from this slump. I really don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I think this is really the beginning of the end for the company and if anything their bikes may go up in value simply because the company will cease to exist.

#32 ·
I don't think Harley ever expected they would sell a pile of Live Wire bikes at that price. Nor do I think they thought that model, in particular, would revitalize the company. There was a purpose for the bike and that was to push forward with an electric platform. Some makers would go to market with a low margin, high volume bike. That said, it is not uncommon for an American maker to lead with a "boutique" model at launch and offer more affordable models after the release. I believe this is what Harley has attempted. The tech issues with the bike is definitely a setback for them. I would have thought all of that sort of thing ironed out after this much time.

I do think they are banking on the new platform though. The StreetFighter, Custom, and PanAmerican. As well as their light weight electrics. I believe they have way more staked on those. I believe the Sportster lineup will be replaced by a version of that platform. The Live Wire was always intended as a showpiece ... I believe, to see Harley in a different light.

#33 ·
I still believe the company is in a lot of hot water financially speaking. I forgot to mention that the motorcycle Market whether it be new or used has been very soft and it is completely a buyer's market these days. I remember a. Of time where you can walk into a motorcycle dealership and expect to pay what the sticker says not one penny less. Nowadays, you can walk into virtually any motorcycle dealership and make an offer. I know this for a fact as one of my friends just recently purchased a 2019 Street Glide and he caught $1,500 off the sticker price plus an additional $600 in a Harley gift card to use in the store. I hate to see plants shut down and people lose their job unfortunately this is a very harsh reality in this day and age.

#54 ·
$1500?!!!

That thing is still overpriced at $6000 off the sticker. :shock:

seriously - what are people thinking? If I overpay for something but not as much as the next guy I got a deal? :dontknow:

This goes for all bikes - not just HD. I just cannot understand why someone would pay $25,000 for a motorcycle unless they pay cash. It is the same with phones - who in their right mind spends $1500 on a phone? Particularily because that same phone will be $750 next year.....

#67 · (Edited)
exactly!!! they can take that bike and the electric car's and shove them... I don't want any of that crap.... I want my internal combustion engine burning gas and making noise like god intended!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.