Why are Motorcycle unit sales dropping - Page 2 - VTXOA
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Garage
I just started riding last year and love it. Its a great bonding time for my father-in-law, brother-in-law, and I. We just helped my father-in-law change from an 85 Wing to a 07 Ultra Classic. The guy that sold it was just a little older than me and did it because of safety concerns. "It wasn't worth the chance." I think the price has something to do with it but I think a lot more is the stigma that the look twice save a life campaign created. The number 1 thing I hear when people find out I started riding was, "But you have little ones at home."

People are so distracted and so uneducated when they're driving. They don't understand that they're basically operating a guided weapon. That makes it worse for us and then people end up talking each other out of riding.

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 AM

Garage
.police officer hit while directing traffic in a school zone.
https://fox8.com/2019/10/24/caught-o...n-school-zone/

50 years I have been riding... approaching 400,000 motorcycle miles...
young people not stopping at stop signs before entering major roadways.
people walking into traffic... and a few walking into moving trains.

more distractions, more dangerous crap on roads...

way to many people THINK they can multi-task while driving a 4,000 pound weapon
Harkon, Curt E and VTXArizona like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 10-25-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Just a thought. Kids are occupied with things we did not have and they usually get to drive one of the family's fleet of cars. They grow up with nice things and probably wouldn't ride a worn out M/C. The only way they know how to get home is call mom.
Harkon and Curt E like this.

2008 VTX1300R
Ultimate Seat
National Windshield - Modified
Cobra Light Bar
Hard Krome ? Pipes - 2 1/2"
Engine Guard - 1 1/4"

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Here's your answer, OP: Because you can't ride a MC and operate your Smartphone at the same time. Younger generation is SO plugged-in, addicted to social media, that putting the phone down for a few hours causes them stress and anxiety over what they are "missing". They wait much much longer just to get their driver's license, because they'd rather be chauffeured around while they browse. They don't realize that if your are Tweeting about it, you're not actually DOING what you are broadcasting about, looking for the <like> <thumbs-up>.
RBS and VTXArizona like this.

03 S, PCIII and V&H Big Shots, De-snorkled air cleaner; Runs 12.55 @104.5!!
Lindy bars, re-shaped stock seats. DARKSIDER for 6yrs now, and I ain't goin' back...
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM

It's not just distractions though. Younger people have been so validated their entire lives that their existence is very much all about them.They can feel what they want to feel, and think how they want to think and it's all validated because it's all about them. Many of the common courtesies we were raised into are more and more rare. Again, this is not to paint all with the same brush. This "me first" attitude doesn't work well in a co-operative environment like our roads. Especially when the environment gets competitive ... which is constant. Many accidents aren't accidents at all, but rather a result from a complete disregard for others sharing the road.

This "me first" attitude limits personal productivity and ambition to better one's self. Earn the cash to purchase the things to enjoy. Those material thinks have become very much more about small social circles and larger social media circles than satisfying a need to just get away and fly free for a while.

At 14 I couldn't wait to get my learner's permit, and 16 my drivers license. A bike as soon as I could afford one. My own apartment ASAP. I wanted my independence ASAP!. Somehow more and more young people care not for independence, life is far too good at home, where the tail often wags the dog. I (we) love my son, and believe he loves me (us), but he cannot wait to graduate college and get out on his own. This is how it should be. At home there are rules, and he must contribute with his efforts. The household is very much a team effort. As much as I'll miss him when he leaves, it is as it should be. A 30 year old man living in the basement is not how it oughtta be. Because of this desire, he bought his own car, pays his own insurance, bought his own bike, does his own maintenance, gets is backside to school every day, works hard for his 4.0 GPA, and can't wait to start his independent life. Such haste for the young to become independent is far less common than it was for boomers or even Gen-X ers.
chuck_VTX F, RBS, jackk and 5 others like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
yes, be out on my own...

my life choice....

and found a woman that had similar ideas for life..

NO children... None... we both raised our siblings.

work hard... get out of the City... have a few toys...

and the BIG ONE
our "OWN" home.
RBS and Harkon like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
.police officer hit while directing traffic in a school zone.
https://fox8.com/2019/10/24/caught-o...n-school-zone/

50 years I have been riding... approaching 400,000 motorcycle miles...
young people not stopping at stop signs before entering major roadways.
people walking into traffic... and a few walking into moving trains.

more distractions, more dangerous crap on roads...

way to many people THINK they can multi-task while driving a 4,000 pound weapon
I saw that news clip earlier with a news person narrating and she said "The police officer is Okay". How can he be "Okay" after getting hit like that and flying through the air

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:54 PM

Garage
From my personal observation, Millenials and Gen-Z kids grew up very sheltered and are scared of a ladybug's fart.
They don't like having to work for anything. As someone already pointed out, they are pretty entitled. So learning a new skill is strange to them. Why would they do it if they can pay someone else to do it for them.
I do not believe any economic recession has to do with their attitude. (again, just my personal opinion) The Millenials and Gen-Z kids I've encountered (at work or elsewhere) love to throw money around and buy the newest coolest stuff and post it on FecesBook for all to admire.
They seem to be disconnected from the outside world. They might even fear it. They'd go hiking only if trees and flowers has a Like or Dislike button. Especially with all the bees and mosquitoes around. Those are scary. So why go outside at all? It is safer and more comfortable to google pictures of hiking and cast them on the big screen TV.

Lastly: motorsports? Those are barbaric. All internal combustion engines are barbaric and archaic. Millenials and Gen-Z kids love electric cars because someone said that they're "cool" and "trendy". And FecesBook told them to buy one. Afterall, motorcycles are scary, stinky and loud. After a few seconds next to a motorcycle, a Millenial or Gen-Z kid would need to run to his safe space to stop hyperventilating and get over the anxiety attack.

Meh. All-in-all, if they don't want to ride, that means just one thing: MORE BIKES FOR US OLD FARTS!
RBS, Harkon and henkvdb like this.

VTX 1800C
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:46 PM

Here are two of the many things that stop the next generation from riding:
- College debt. With both political sides colluding with schools and banks and recipients of teachers union dues, they have allowed college costs to sky-rocket by making it easy to borrow money WITHOUT allowing a discharge of college debt during bankruptcy. There is absolutely no cost control in the college world. I worked my ass of for 51 years to pay for my boys, but I am aware of what their friends are going through to pay off these ridiculous debts.
- I live in the Denver area. Housing is awfully expensive here and I can understand why, after college, kids don't want to live with dad anymore, but also don't want to deal with room mates anymore,

Kids don't have much spare dollars for anything, including riding a motorcycle.
gfund9958 likes this.

2003 1800s, 97k miles
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdb View Post
Kids don't have much spare dollars for anything, including riding a motorcycle.
Sure. But you don't necessarily have to buy a $50k Harley in HS.
I started small and worked hard to afford a little 50cc motorcycle when I was a youngster. That's all I could afford. And I took up a paper route to pay for the fuel.
But at least I was riding!

I see Millenials buy expensive cars such as BMWs and Lexi. Cuz their Fecesbook peers say it's "cool".
If FB said that motorcyles were cool, I think we'd see more Millenials in hospitals.

And I just thought of a big reason why Millenials and Gen-Zs do not ride motorcycles. It's much harder to text on the road!
RBS and Harkon like this.

VTX 1800C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page