A Winterize Thread - Page 2 - VTXOA
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM

I've never had an issue winterizing my bike. I always make sure I have a full tank of gas with seafoam running through the system and the battery tender hooked up.
My only question is though what about flat spots on the tire? I don't have a jack so my bike is pretty much on its side stand for at least five months straight. Maybe sometimes I'll roll it back and forth but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Garage
Bike Stand by , on Flickr

a few years ago... A VTXCAFE member made me a STAND... welded aluminum...
rangers4u and Curt E like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 PM

I have rock solid advice for anyone considering winterizing their bike. It is simple and straight foreword. RIDE SOUTH for crying out loud ! Get away from the cold. Life is for living, follow the sun. Failing that, yeah, what chuck said.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM

OK, I think I already know the answer to this, but will ask anyway. Before putting her away last fall, new oil & filter installed. Before any chance to ride this spring, I had a total knee replacement. Didn't get out on it until May-ish, getting my legs back under me. Several long ride/ rallies were cancelled, other life obligations, little time for much riding. Then dealt with a kidney stone for weeks in Sept. Today I got out on her for about 70 miles. Total for the year is less than 400. Might still get out a bit in the next few weeks, IDK. So, with less than 500 mi., should I still change the oil and filter like I normally would before the long nap? I have a couple filters and enough Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (thats whats in her) for several changes. FWIW, I stored her for 5 months at a time 2 winters in a row off the floor on a HF yellow jack, then I built a wooden stand a couple years ago. She is also always hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. and sits out in an unheated barn. It's the best I can do, and I never remove the battery from the bike.
Curt E likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post
I have rock solid advice for anyone considering winterizing their bike. It is simple and straight foreword. RIDE SOUTH for crying out loud ! Get away from the cold. Life is for living, follow the sun. Failing that, yeah, what chuck said.
I took your advice, before you said it..

one year ago in September.. I moved from North East Ohio....

to very south Texas...

No winter..
rangers4u, Curt E and VTXArizona like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:30 PM

Garage
I have never seen the steel crate my 2008 VTX 1800T3 came in a total wood crate with straw packed in tight around the bike. I remember when they opened it love at first sight.
Curt E and ecornwell like this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4u View Post
OK, I think I already know the answer to this, but will ask anyway. Before putting her away last fall, new oil & filter installed. Before any chance to ride this spring, I had a total knee replacement. Didn't get out on it until May-ish, getting my legs back under me. Several long ride/ rallies were cancelled, other life obligations, little time for much riding. Then dealt with a kidney stone for weeks in Sept. Today I got out on her for about 70 miles. Total for the year is less than 400. Might still get out a bit in the next few weeks, IDK. So, with less than 500 mi., should I still change the oil and filter like I normally would before the long nap? I have a couple filters and enough Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (thats whats in her) for several changes. FWIW, I stored her for 5 months at a time 2 winters in a row off the floor on a HF yellow jack, then I built a wooden stand a couple years ago. She is also always hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. and sits out in an unheated barn. It's the best I can do, and I never remove the battery from the bike.
My .02
I would not change the oil. But you may want to change the air in your tires before you store it and then again in the spring before riding.
rangers4u and Curt E like this.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE Bought new 1st one sold in WI. - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
I never trusted a lift to store it on, so I bought this from a fellow VTXOA member; http://www.pepsx.com/products.html

I pushed my bike into the corner on the lift and then set it down on the stand. That stand is also great for working on the bike as it is rock solid. So much so, you can sit on your bike on that stand!

I agree. I purchased a pepsx stand several years ago and use it not only every Winter but everytime I want to work on my bike. It is well built and very sturdy.

I have written a procedure that I follow every year before I put my bike away. It is a bit lengthy but the bottom line is, I give my bike a real good going over before I tuck it away.
Curt E likes this.

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
― Rudyard Kipling
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Its only to cold to ride here for 2 maybe 3 months a year. Yet, I understand the importance winterizing. All want bike ready to roll when time comes..
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty View Post

And you Aussie speak from experience going south for the winter?

2003 1800s, 97k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page