Blinker fluid problem.... - Page 2 - VTXOA
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Old Goat

Geeze .....its gonna be a loooooooooooong winter....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Update

Thanks for fix ideas. Something nobody mentioned here is that no matter how great the blinker fluid is, (e.g., the time tested DOT 5) if you have a leak the fluid isn't going to do its job.
CHECK FOR LEAKS PEOPLE!

I think Honda really dropped the ball by not offering their brand of fluid so new riders especially could buy the brand they know will work. Honda offers motor oil so why not Honda blinker Fluid???

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
It doesn't go to 5 for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Snake oil says I!
Good ole DOT 1, mineral blinker fluid was good enough for my Dad, and it's good enough for me! Don't need no fancey synthetic DOT 5 blinker fluid! Y'all just throwin' your money away. I've been using DOT 1 my whole life and never had a blinker fluid related failure yet. Regular maintenance is the key!

You make a good point about regular maintenance, however I'm a big believer in Synthetic DOT 5 blinker fluid— It doesn't go all the way to 5 for nothing! I find the synthetic allows me to go almost forget I have blinker fluid to worry about due to how long synthetic lasts vs the old-fashioned mineral oil based fluids do.
Harkon and lofty like this.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House O' Pain View Post
You make a good point about regular maintenance, however I'm a big believer in Synthetic DOT 5 blinker fluid— It doesn't go all the way to 5 for nothing! I find the synthetic allows me to go almost forget I have blinker fluid to worry about due to how long synthetic lasts vs the old-fashioned mineral oil based fluids do.
That's just it. You forget to service it and one day .... NO BLINKERS! I'm not buying the hype. Anyone here have proof that 5 is better than 1,2,3 or 4?

And then there are those who believe you can just use ATF but those guys are whack!
Hans&Feet likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM

And then there are those who ride in the winter months with summer air in there tires !

It is just unbelievable how uniformed some people are. o
RBS, Harkon, lofty and 1 others like this.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE Bought new 1st one sold in WI. - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

. ====>> KEEP IT VERTICAL <<====
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:38 PM

Question

And why has no body mentioned to check and service your muffler bearings. Just wondering why these are not brought up too.

2002 1800C ILLUSION BLUE Bought new 1st one sold in WI. - Cobra angle slash cuts - Cobra FI2000 - Memphis Fats 21" - Hondaline 24L bags with Easy Brackets - Corbin Gunfighter and a lot more.....

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM

Anyone ever used the universal signal telling everybody "I am out of blinker fluid so be careful around me"?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blinker.jpg (78.3 KB, 5 views)

2003 1800s, 97k miles
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
I just wanna ride...
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM

I see some real misinformation here so I'd like it help clear it up.

Blinker fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless. Those that use the synthetic DOT5 fluid like to use extended service intervals but that's up to them.

Always use winter or at the very least all-season air in your tires if you ride in the winter. I don't care if it's warm where you are all year round, air should be changed out at least once per year with all-season air, or twice per year as winter turns to spring and as summer turns to autumn. That is unless you keep the bike parked all winter, then just a quick air change in the spring with new summer or all-season air is okay.

Muffler bearings are best left alone unless you intend on just replacing them. You'll know when they need replacing, but it has been my experience that trying to service them almost always accelerates the need to replace them. If you suspect that this is the year, then just replace them with the highest quality muffler bearings you can find.

Not yet mentioned is headlight fluid. This lasts much longer when you convert to LEDs (less heat, lower wattage). Use synthetic there and you may never have to change it with LEDs.

There are, of course, differing opinions on all of this. Some people just use ATF for everything, but I tried it once in place of summer air and the bike rode like a brick. It smoked a lot too when I lubed the muffler bearings with it, the headlights had a distinct reddish hue, and the blinkers often just skipped blinking altogether so I'm not sure how other people are getting it to work, but my opinion is to use the right parts for the job. Just sayin'.

Oh, and HOP, I have reconsidered and will try the latest synthetic blinker fluid next service. Will report back with findings.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:31 PM

Unhappy

I use the multi grade light fluid. Can be used in all types of lights, blinkers, headlights, fog, driving and tail. I even put it in my bathroom lights.

Question ???
Is it best to remove the concrete from the handle bars or is it OK to leave in over the cold winter months? (who remembers this?)

I appreciate quick advice as it is 27 degrees out right now. Please help I am stressing over this.

Thanks in advance
Harkon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page